You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

The Liverpool Way Podcast (Jun 20 2013)

TLW

podcast_460.jpg

It's been a busy summer already with a couple of signings completed and others close to being finalised. Your host 'Numbers' is joined once again by Dave Usher and Stu Montagu to discuss potential ins and outs, where the squad needs strengthening and of course, the Luis Suarez situation. Listen now either on the embedded player below, or by visiting our podcast page here.

You can also subscribe through itunes and have any new podcast automatically delivered to your computer. Clicking the link above will download the latest episode straight into your iTunes, and will subscribe you to any future episodes.

Those of you wanting to listen on your phone, try this link as it should work on most smartphones.

To listen in this window, simply click the play button in the box below. To listen in a new tab, click here.

Good podcast. Found myself agreeing with Dave for the most part.

Fulham are supposed to be after Wisdom for a year but we have a bit of a dilemma because Rodgers wants to be able to recall him. Obviously he would be playing at a higher level there though, which would be better for him in the long run.

I think Kelly will be pushing hard for a starting place next season. I don't think he will necessarily just be seen as a back up. Rodgers obviously really rates him, and rightly so. I think he would put him in the team straight away if Johnson or Enrique started to show any kind of dip in form.

I can see Mignolet doing really well for us.

If Suarez goes, Luis Muriel is who I would sign. He can play as the central striker or as one of the wider players. From Wikipedia:

Muriel is well-known for being compared to Brazilian legend Ronaldo based on his talents.[14][15][16] His dribbling and ball control has set him apart from most players of his generation within the Serie A league. He most noticeably, has wonderful aim with his shots and holds good accurately with his passing.[17][18][19][20]

He has been praised often during his time in Italy, which led him to win the award for best young player in the Serie A league in 2012. Many figures in Italy such as fellow Udinese teammate Antonio Di Natale, praised Muriel for his potential.[21]

Muriel stated that his comparison to Brazilian legend Ronaldo by his playing style, is likely because he was a main supporter of Ronaldo during his time in Inter Milan. Muriel went on to say that he supported Inter Milan because Ronaldo was playing for them at the time. Ironically, Muriel also stated that he also suffers weight issues (like Ronaldo during his time) and had to lose five kilos at point. This meant that he had to be consistent with fitness, which explained his similar style to the Brazilian legend and high quality in terms of athletic stature. Most noticeably, by his impressive speedy pace.[22]

Video:

As first choice or just as another option?

Like I say on the Pod, I can't help but think we're at a point where we have to allow Sturridge the chance to elevate himself to that elite level as I don't see the point of bringing someone in over the top of him unless they are an absolute world star. I'd even be tempted to put Suarez in one of the wide positions and play him up top. He'd piss 20 goals a season if you ask me (and is less likely to piss off to Spain next summer).

As first choice or just as another option?

Like I say on the Pod, I can't help but think we're at a point where we have to allow Sturridge the chance to elevate himself to that elite level as I don't see the point of bringing someone in over the top of him unless they are an absolute world star. I'd even be tempted to put Suarez in one of the wide positions and play him up top. He'd piss 20 goals a season if you ask me (and is less likely to piss off to Spain next summer).

I agree to be honest. If Suarez stays then I would play him wide with Sturridge through the middle. I'm just not sure how well Suarez can adapt to that role; or at least the way I imagine Rodgers would want him to play it. He's a good enough footballer to do anything I suppose but is he ideal for that position? I'd say no.

The reason I suggest Muriel is because he can play as a central striker and would be better suited to one of the wide roles than Suarez. He is more of a Rodgers forward inasmuch as he can play across the front line (kind of like Aspas).

It seems mad to say it but on balance it might actually be better for us if we can get £50 million for Suarez this summer.

Guest Numero Veinticinco

In regards to who Mourinho will pick on... whoever is in and around him. If he's digging at Rodgers, it'll be because we're doing well. If he ignores us, it's because we're fucking about mid-table again.