You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Mkhitaryan

Gym Beglin

The Times also going with this tomorrow.

It doesn't add up for me. If we where happy to meet the price why didn't we weeks ago? Why where we happy to meet the fee, happy to negotiate with the club and agent for weeks on end only to be told now that we never got the opportunity to talk to the player? The idea that we've commited resources to make this transfer happen when all the long the player wasnt that arsed anyway is bollocks to me. All noise coming out of Shakhtar was that we going in low and trying to do a deal on the cheep. Now suddenly Dortmund have done the deal and we were happy to pay his price all along. Hmmmm

We've chased this guy for 2 months and now we're being led to believe he was never even interested in talking? The stuff people will believe.

It sounds ridiculous to suggest that. At this stage anyone can only speculate.

I imagine we were waiting to sign him at a quite a substantially lower figure with the player kicking up a fuss.

That only works if the competition arent willing to agree the asking price and offer better terms in relation to CL. In his position you wouldnt wait around forever either.

Looks like Ayre's been briefing The Echo:

James Pearce ‏@JamesPearceEcho 1h

@Baezl16 Until it's all signed you never know but as far as #LFC are concerned he has opted to go to Dortmund. Can't see that changing

James Pearce James Pearce ‏@JamesPearceEcho 1h

@russianred4 Probably. Difficult to say for sure as #LFC never got chance to speak to him directly.

@DavidVaughan5 As of yesterday #LFC expected this to drag on for weeks and were surprised to be informed a deal with Dortmund was done.

@DavidVaughan5 #LFC did speak to his representatives on a number of occasions but weren't able to hold talks with the player himself.

@DavidVaughan5 When did I say the fee was £25m? I wrote that #LFC were willing to pay up to £25m to get the deal done which was true

Looks like Ayre's been briefing The Echo:

@Baezl16 Until it's all signed you never know but as far as #LFC are concerned he has opted to go to Dortmund. Can't see that changing

@russianred4 Probably. Difficult to say for sure as #LFC never got chance to speak to him directly.

@DavidVaughan5 As of yesterday #LFC expected this to drag on for weeks and were surprised to be informed a deal with Dortmund was done.

@DavidVaughan5 #LFC did speak to his representatives on a number of occasions but weren't able to hold talks with the player himself.

@DavidVaughan5 When did I say the fee was £25m? I wrote that #LFC were willing to pay up to £25m to get the deal done which was true

PR team is getting better.

Its a cock up whatever way you look at it.

We wanted a player who was our so called main target and didnt speak to him in 3 weeks yet Dortmund speak and sign him in 3 days, thats shocking business on our part.

Doesnt matter if the player is good, bad or indifferent as we were told he was our number one priority and we missed out on him through some poor manoeuvering again.

Hope we have a few more targets as we arent any better off than on the last day of the season.

Guest San Don
We've chased this guy for 2 months and now we're being led to believe he was never even interested in talking? The stuff people will believe.

How do you know he was never interested in signing for us? Maybe he was interested in signing for us but then when dortmund came along, you know, a club competing at the sharp end of the german championship and CL, he decided they were a better option than us, struggling along in 7th in the PL and not even in Europe?

We need to be honest with ourselves, how many players are going to sign for us while we're in this position compared to a club like dortmund? Not many I'd venture.

Yes, I know we are massive but we're not paying big wages nowadays either never mind competing on the field with europe's best.

Im not sure I agree with the bit you say we chased him for 2 months. Chasing to me means physically talking to him and his agent. I dont think we were. Interested, yes, chasing, dont think so.

Just my opinion though.

All this while Spurs get Paulinho for 17mil, seems pretty fucking mad really. Jonjo gone too without ever getting a decent run of games, not good. The Jonjo thing bugs me on a completely different level though, I just think it's an absolutely stupid move to be honest.

The Jonjo thing bugs me on a completely different level though, I just think it's an absolutely stupid move to be honest.

Obviously we needed the cash for Mkhitaryan. Evidently Donetsk weren't prepared to wait a few weeks while we scrabbled down the back of the couch for loose change.

How do you know he was never interested in signing for us? Maybe he was interested in signing for us but then when dortmund came along' date=' you know, a club competing at the sharp end of the german championship and CL, he decided they were a better option than us, struggling along in 7th in the PL and not even in Europe?

We need to be honest with ourselves, how many players are going to sign for us while we're in this position compared to a club like dortmund? Not many I'd venture.

Yes, I know we are massive but we're not paying big wages nowadays either never mind competing on the field with europe's best.

Im not sure I agree with the bit you say we chased him for 2 months. Chasing to me means physically talking to him and his agent. I dont think we were. Interested, yes, chasing, dont think so.

Just my opinion though.[/quote']

He was our number 1 target, marquee signing. LFC have pushed the story through journo's since the season end. Dortmund have always been linked too, they tried to buy him in January. Dortmunds interests was no surprise. Yet we've continued to peddle through the press his preference was us. All this time his club said we'd not even been in touch, let alone make an offer. Now he's gone elsewhere we're supposed to believe money was never the problem and it was just the player fancied Dortmund more so never talked to us. Couldn't we have found this out in May? It's nonsense and for LFC to be briefing the press other wise shows the utter contempt they hold the fans in that they think we'll swallow it.

It's all good and well trying to save the club some money by low-balling when its comes to trying to sign your players but, this is one of the main reasons you shouldn't feck about when trying to sign your main target.

He was our number 1 target, marquee signing. LFC have pushed the story through journo's since the season end. Dortmund have always been linked too, they tried to buy him in January. Dortmunds interests was no surprise. Yet we've continued to peddle through the press his preference was us. All this time his club said we'd not even been in touch, let alone make an offer. Now he's gone elsewhere we're supposed to believe money was never the problem and it was just the player fancied Dortmund more so never talked to us. Couldn't we have found this out in May? It's nonsense and for LFC to be briefing the press other wise shows the utter contempt they hold the fans in that they think we'll swallow it.

Spot on Barry.

Like I said last night, my hunch is we've tried to be clever and do this on the cheap, screwing Shakhtar out of a few million. It's all well and good playing the waiting game when you're signing an Aspas with little competition for the signature, however with our current standing in the game and with Champions League clubs also sniffing around, the only way to do the deal is to get in quickly, pay the asking price and tie it up. The club now seem to be suggesting this was unexpected and they were expecting this to drag on for weeks, in that case I wonder if this deal was always totally dependent on them getting money for Suarez. Either way it's backfired. I find this idea that we were always willing to pay the asking price a little bit hard to swallow.

All this while Spurs get Paulinho for 17mil, seems pretty fucking mad really. Jonjo gone too without ever getting a decent run of games, not good. The Jonjo thing bugs me on a completely different level though, I just think it's an absolutely stupid move to be honest.

I would have preferred to see him loaned out to another Premiership club for the whole of next season.

As soon as Alberto was signed, his days were numbered and his sale was to cover Alberto's fee, who is his replacement.

Will be interesting to see how he gets on at Swansea.

Guest Kemlynreds

I'm outraged, we've missed out on a player I've never heard of, seen and know nothing about.

There's an Italian called Aquilani that looks decent

In one eye