You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Gerrard's Testimonial Tickets

Bjornebye

Very good occasion and nice to get another win and clean sheet under our belts even if the opposition seemed to be nowhere near as good as expected

Whilst he will never exactly be clinical Allen did great at getting into goal scoring positions today, I seem to recall he had another game like this not long before the injury too, I still prefer Henderson but no reason why both can't play a big part, Sterling looked good again and I'm liking the look of Aspas so far

What a fucking post.

As far as I'm concerned, the fella has been the greatest all round footballer to play the game in the last 10-15 years and has, at the same time, been the most criminally under rated.

Istanbul sums it up. Three positions the lad played- centre mid, off the striker and wing back. How many players could do that in 90 minutes?

Love the bones of the fella. Quite simply, the best I've seen wear the red shirt.

Here here.

I don't want to sound negative. In fact' date=' I feel pretty positive about our attacking play/options. Ideally, we'll add something there and keep Suarez.

But... I still think we're lightweight in midfield, suspect against teams on the break, and a little brittle defensively. I'd love us to sign a more defensively-minded midfielder and an imposing centre back. Rodgers clearly recognises the latter requirement. The former?[/quote']

Exactly my thoughts. Gerrard is by miles our best midfielder but he needs to be carried defensively. Lucas, Hendo and Allen are nowhere near fast, strong or good enough to implement the counter pressing game that currently defines the elite sides.

another positive to take from today is that in Stevie's interview he made a point of singling out Jordon Ibe and said something along the lines of "he'll be an outstanding player"

I seem to recall last year when everyone was getting excited over the young players breaking through Stevie was quick to point out they'd done nothing really yet so for him to talk him up like that really says something imo

another positive to take from today is that in Stevie's interview he made a point of singling out Jordon Ibe and said something along the lines of "he'll be an outstanding player"

I seem to recall last year when everyone was getting excited over the young players breaking through Stevie was quick to point out they'd done nothing really yet so for him to talk him up like that really says something imo

Ibe has looked excellent this pre-season. His development has been remarkable. He still has a bit of a way to go of course but what a useful player to have coming off the bench. Gerrard knows that the future of the club lies with players like these - the likes of Ibe, Sterling, Rossiter, Trickett-Smith and so on. They are the ones who are most likely to be here for the long haul and not want to fuck off after a year or two of lining their pockets.

Open letter from the President of Olympiacos. Class:

We are delighted to be part of this event for so many reasons.

Steven Gerrard is one of the finest footballers in the world, and it is fantastic to see today a club able to support a player with a testimonial after 15 years with them - but all the more so when the player is also able to play for his hometown team and achieve so much including becoming captain of club and country.

I have been a lifelong Olympiacos fan, as was my father before me, so I know only too well the pride and special feeling of being able to be part of the team that brings success to the club you've supported all of your life.

Steven may have selected Olympiacos for that special goal and all it meant to him and went on to mean, but I feel the clubs have a very special resonance and connection.

Olympiacos are a side from the port city Piraeus - today part of the wider Athens - the fans are famous for being the best and most passionate in Greece, creating a fantastic atmosphere in our stadium. Without any question it is their passion and commitment that has so often been the extra player that has cheered on their team in red and white to being the most successful club in Greece, reaching our 40th league title this year.

So it is perhaps easy to understand why Liverpool FC are very popular with many Olympiacos fans and why when I personally came to the UK to live for a while when I was younger and why I was so naturally drawn towards supporting Liverpool - as I still do today - as the connections and similarities are so clear and strong.

The clubs have been further bonded by their respective tragedies. I know all Olympiacos fans feel huge unity with Liverpool fans in the campaign for justice for the 96 as we have suffered our gate 7 tragedy where 21 supporters lost their lives just over 30 years ago.

We are equally delighted Steven has chosen to donate his proceeds from this match to the Steven Gerrard Foundation, a registered charity which helps disadvantaged children. This reinforces the feeling of common understanding as we will be donating our proceeds to similar charities in Greece to aid children who are in dire need of support today.

So for so many reasons when we were asked to take part, it was a very easy and quick decision.

We would like to offer our congratulations to Steven for a fantastic career so far and wish him a wonderful evening.

That is great!

Open letter from the President of Olympiacos. Class:

We are delighted to be part of this event for so many reasons.

Steven Gerrard is one of the finest footballers in the world, and it is fantastic to see today a club able to support a player with a testimonial after 15 years with them - but all the more so when the player is also able to play for his hometown team and achieve so much including becoming captain of club and country.

I have been a lifelong Olympiacos fan, as was my father before me, so I know only too well the pride and special feeling of being able to be part of the team that brings success to the club you've supported all of your life.

Steven may have selected Olympiacos for that special goal and all it meant to him and went on to mean, but I feel the clubs have a very special resonance and connection.

Olympiacos are a side from the port city Piraeus - today part of the wider Athens - the fans are famous for being the best and most passionate in Greece, creating a fantastic atmosphere in our stadium. Without any question it is their passion and commitment that has so often been the extra player that has cheered on their team in red and white to being the most successful club in Greece, reaching our 40th league title this year.

So it is perhaps easy to understand why Liverpool FC are very popular with many Olympiacos fans and why when I personally came to the UK to live for a while when I was younger and why I was so naturally drawn towards supporting Liverpool - as I still do today - as the connections and similarities are so clear and strong.

The clubs have been further bonded by their respective tragedies. I know all Olympiacos fans feel huge unity with Liverpool fans in the campaign for justice for the 96 as we have suffered our gate 7 tragedy where 21 supporters lost their lives just over 30 years ago.

We are equally delighted Steven has chosen to donate his proceeds from this match to the Steven Gerrard Foundation, a registered charity which helps disadvantaged children. This reinforces the feeling of common understanding as we will be donating our proceeds to similar charities in Greece to aid children who are in dire need of support today.

So for so many reasons when we were asked to take part, it was a very easy and quick decision.

We would like to offer our congratulations to Steven for a fantastic career so far and wish him a wonderful evening.

Nice one.

After the game it was also revealed that Marinakis (Olympiakos' Chairman) donated £100k to the Steven Gerrard Foundation.

He is a Shipping Tycoon, who spent several years in the UK. He should have bought a stake at Liverpool.

Great stuff today. I haven't been over in a year big today was amazing.

Love the guy even though I dismissed him last year. Best Liverpool player I've seen in the flesh including Barnes and a retiring kenny (didn't see him at peak). Gonna be a massive void when he goes. Talenr times infinity plus loyalty times infinity.

Guest Numero Veinticinco
That is great!

Yep, and the £100k he donated to Stevie's charity will go a long way. Quite clearly a classy guy.

Just up insomnia kicking in, gotta love that shit.

Maybe lingering alcohol in the system but seriously the only player in the English game that would come near is Roy Keane but as much as he could take the game by the scruff of the neck, he did not have those goals in his locker that just changed a game and history.

I hate Keane by the way but you gotta respect a good player.

We have been blessed with some of the best players to play the game.

Fucking hell, Dalglish, Fowler, Rush, Owen, Torres, Suarez. I would add Aldridge to that list as I love the fella and he knew where the net was. You think forwards always steal the limelight and they usually do, who did not want to be a number 9, everyone if we are honest.

Hitting the back of the net, no buzz like it, not that I experienced it that much as I was fucking shit but it was in my head, if not my body.

So for a player, a local lad to be put above that lot is some achievement, unbelievable really. Someone mentioned Istanbul and the positions he played, think of players capable of that and you will struggle, or not come up with any names.

The Chelsea thing fucked my head up, which is why if Suarez stays or goes it means little to me, you only get your heart broke once, unless you are a soft cunt. It took a while but he grew into a great captain and what a day and he earned it.

STEVEN GERRARD gonna miss that man when the day comes. Thankfully it is a way off yet.

This was a very enjoyable day for a number of reasons.

Obviously the main one being our captain, arguably greatest player in the history of the club, got a fantastic occasion and ovation for his career, his loyalty and regular brilliance he has shown for the club of a number of years.

It was great to see Carragher and Fowler back on the pitch, supporting their friend but mainly because we loved them both as players. Fowler especially, as he said he didn’t really get the right send off for his career and it was a nice touch by Gerrard to include him and selflessly give his old pal some of his attention – that says a lot about Gerrard, the man (as Rodgers would say).

Pre season seems to be going to plan, thus far and this match I think they was numerous positives ahead of the new season. Given a lot of our fears of the summer was about the defense, to have not have conceded so far – that has been very pleasing, especially with a couple of new signings in Toure and Mignolet been part of the defensive spine. Both have just slotted into the side with ease and the biggest compliment you can give them is you don’t notice both are there because they are not making mistakes.

Mignolet had a couple of moments with his feet when it looked like he wanted to hit it long up the pitch and ‘get rid’, but it looked that in the back of his mind he thought he had to try and play it to feet – this hesitation led to him doing neither and it almost got us in trouble. Last season Reina was the same in the first few games making the same sort of hesitations, as did Skrtel (which cost us, vs City at home for example). As the season went on last season we saw less of these types of mistakes and I think that was because we changed the approach and Reina / the defenders were hitting more long balls, when in doubt and I hope Mignolet realises this, that if he has any doubt he should just hit it long up to the striker or into the stands. Passing round the back is great when you have time and space, but if not, then it can be costly and that is my only doubt so far with Mignolet, as the rest of his game looks very impressive and even his kicking looks good, he just needs to play his game with his feet and not Rodgers one.

I haven’t seen Toure do anything wrong in pre season so far and again he was just simple and solid, just the way a centre back should be. Agger I find less convincing and if we do find a new centre back, he’d be the one who should have pressure on his place In my opinion. However I am happy to start the season with both and Skrtel as very capable back up, not to mention Wisdom.

One of the biggest positives in this game was Lucas, I think he is looking so much fitter and mobile than he was last season after his long term injury. This is extremely positive as for me, he is the key player in the squad, because we don’t have anyone else who can play the role. Defensive midfielders are never easy on the eye, but he broke up play numerous times and fouled at the right time, like Hamann would do, just slowing down the play and ensuring the opposition didn’t hit us on the break. If Lucas stays fit, we will have a very good season.

The midfield and even the whole balance of the side looks so much better when we have Allen or Henderson in the side alongside Lucas and Gerrard. For me they are the engine of the team, they are offer the energy and lead the pressing game which the rest of the side follows. We all have our preferences of who we prefer between Henderson or Allen, but I think more often than not one of these two should be in the side. Only against sides at home when we are certain of dominating possession (and I mean 70%+), then we need the energy those two bring. I’d certainly have one of them in every away game and at home against the top sides who are more likely to hurt us.

People think I hate Allen on here, I don’t. I think he’s a good player and have never said any different. However like most players, you put them in their best position to do what they are good at. My issue is Allen as defensive midfield and when Lucas is fit, that’s unlikely to be seen. But Allen in the role he played on Saturday is different, he can do what he is good at – pressing, offering energy and the odd burst forward. I thought he played well, but then again our whole team did really. The stand out performances for me were from Coutinho and Sterling, in particular the latter. Coutinho is just brilliant to watch and some of his through balls are what make people pay to watch football and he did some of those in this match. Sterling however got MOTM from me as he was probably even more of a threat and that pass for Henderson was impressive and once again showed the few doubters on here he is more than just pace. He’s clever, he knows when to run with the ball, when to keep the ball, when to pass the ball simply and when to go for the killer pass. I actually think the only area he needs to develop is his finishing and when he does he’ll be unstoppable at times. But he is rightly in the team on merit at the moment.

I’m loving the high tempo football and everyone is looking much fitter and sharper. Suarez is even smiling and he must be impressed with how the team has been doing in pre season and fancy our chances for a right good go at top four. I’d like to see us cut our squad down slightly, especially in the attacking options with us maybe selling two in Borini and Downing, both of which I don’t see how they fit in or are good enough and bringing in one other top quality attacking player to compet for the mainly front three (some times four) roles with Sturridge, Coutinho, Suarez, Sterling and Aspas. We don’t need a massive squad next season, so what’s the point in having Downing, Borini etc playing next to no football. I doubt they’d got in the match day squad most of the time, so let’s slightly reduce the numbers and have quality, not quantity.

Having said all that, whether Suarez goes or stay, whether we do buy more quality or don’t – I still think we’re going to have a real good go for top four and there are lots of positive signs.

But back to Gerrard as it was his day – I just love watching him play football and he is my favourite footballer of all time. On and off the pitch he is just a class act and for me he is our greatest player and the greatest all round player I have ever seen. Just hope we can have a good season so he can get another chance to play in the Champs League before he retires as just as much as Suarez, Gerrard deserves to be on the big stage!

Was delighted, but surprised at Downing not getting on the pitch.

He looked furious on the bench when Gerrard sat next to him.

Is he on the way out?