You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Gerrard's Testimonial Tickets

Bjornebye

Though it was down as Stevie's testimonial, I'm glad that the occasion was used as a proper pre-season warm up. Allen was very good as a central attacking midfielder in the first half, and while the critics will suggest that playing Allen there detracts from Coutinho's effectiveness, by putting Coutinho in a wider role it could actually make him a better player as he becomes more effective in more than one position. Sterling and Aspas also had good games. The players generally looked sharper in the first half compared to the second. Robbie came on in the second and looked like he was carrying a fair bit of timber though!

Very pleasing, that. Just pre-season etc etc, but there seems to be an extra quality to our play that was missing for much of last season. The starting midfield 3 were all excellent (Allen's hapless finishing aside) and Henderson looks like he desperately wants to be a key part of things this season - hoping that we see many more of those runs ahead of the forward players this coming season.

With Sturridge fit, Suarez staying (hopefully) and one more addition to the attack, we will have a far stronger starting 11 than this time last year, and a bench that may include 2-3 players who can come on and make a positive contribution.

And another win and no goals conceded. The sky is dark with hats over here!

Nice to see all the positivity in this thread for a change.

Now you can all see why im so pro brendan rodgers and behind everything he is doing. What a side he is starting to build here. The system we play is excellent it stifles the opposition. The players he is finding have some real good natural talent about them, something i think we have missed for way too many years.

Give him more time, dont spazz out if we dont get 4th and Rodgers is going to take us back to the top, im sure of it.

I don't want to sound negative. In fact, I feel pretty positive about our attacking play/options. Ideally, we'll add something there and keep Suarez.

But... I still think we're lightweight in midfield, suspect against teams on the break, and a little brittle defensively. I'd love us to sign a more defensively-minded midfielder and an imposing centre back. Rodgers clearly recognises the latter requirement. The former?

Now you can all see why im so pro brendan rodgers and behind everything he is doing. What a side he is starting to build here.

I've heard that Dempsey is going back to the US. Socking considering FSG and Rodgers tried to offload Henderson to Fulham in order to get Dempsey.

I've heard that Dempsey is going back to the US. Socking considering FSG and Rodgers tried to offload Henderson to Fulham in order to get Dempsey.

Phew, you really had me worried there. That one post you made above where you weren't wailing about FSG had me concerned. Good to see you got them shoe-horned in again, and bonus points for bringing Dempsey into it in the Gerrard testimonial thread.

I feel like like jumping for joy reading your post, so uplifting it is incredible.

Fair play to a true legend, a captain who is up there with the best that have ever graced the turf.

You do not get any better end of.

I use the word legend rarely but when it is deserved it is deserved and by fuck has he earned it.

I don't want to sound negative. In fact, I feel pretty positive about our attacking play/options. Ideally, we'll add something there and keep Suarez.

But... I still think we're lightweight in midfield, suspect against teams on the break, and a little brittle defensively. I'd love us to sign a more defensively-minded midfielder and an imposing centre back. Rodgers clearly recognises the latter requirement. The former?

Lucas will be the key to our season. If he's back to his best and he stays fit? I definitely fancy us for top 4. If not we could have problems defensively. The positive thing is that we are now good enough in attack to out-score most teams.

Open letter from the President of Olympiacos. Class:

We are delighted to be part of this event for so many reasons.

Steven Gerrard is one of the finest footballers in the world, and it is fantastic to see today a club able to support a player with a testimonial after 15 years with them - but all the more so when the player is also able to play for his hometown team and achieve so much including becoming captain of club and country.

I have been a lifelong Olympiacos fan, as was my father before me, so I know only too well the pride and special feeling of being able to be part of the team that brings success to the club you've supported all of your life.

Steven may have selected Olympiacos for that special goal and all it meant to him and went on to mean, but I feel the clubs have a very special resonance and connection.

Olympiacos are a side from the port city Piraeus - today part of the wider Athens - the fans are famous for being the best and most passionate in Greece, creating a fantastic atmosphere in our stadium. Without any question it is their passion and commitment that has so often been the extra player that has cheered on their team in red and white to being the most successful club in Greece, reaching our 40th league title this year.

So it is perhaps easy to understand why Liverpool FC are very popular with many Olympiacos fans and why when I personally came to the UK to live for a while when I was younger and why I was so naturally drawn towards supporting Liverpool - as I still do today - as the connections and similarities are so clear and strong.

The clubs have been further bonded by their respective tragedies. I know all Olympiacos fans feel huge unity with Liverpool fans in the campaign for justice for the 96 as we have suffered our gate 7 tragedy where 21 supporters lost their lives just over 30 years ago.

We are equally delighted Steven has chosen to donate his proceeds from this match to the Steven Gerrard Foundation, a registered charity which helps disadvantaged children. This reinforces the feeling of common understanding as we will be donating our proceeds to similar charities in Greece to aid children who are in dire need of support today.

So for so many reasons when we were asked to take part, it was a very easy and quick decision.

We would like to offer our congratulations to Steven for a fantastic career so far and wish him a wonderful evening.

i love gerrard.

just seen the goals. henderson's celebration makes me laugh. he looks angry as fuck anytime he scores

I thought it was great. He'd only just got on the pitch, next thing he's scored and he's running along going mental in celebration. I'm not his biggest fan but clearly am always happy to see any of our players do well, and will be chuffed if he turns into a great player like he's hinted at on several occasions.

Maybe he'll start getting some real confidence in front of goal with moments like that if they arrive more regularly too, and can start getting upfront a bit more because of that.

I thought it was great. He'd only just got on the pitch, next thing he's scored and he's running along going mental in celebration. I'm not his biggest fan but clearly am always happy to see any of our players do well, and will be chuffed if he turns into a great player like he's hinted at on several occasions.

Maybe he'll start getting some real confidence in front of goal with moments like that if they arrive more regularly too, and can start getting upfront a bit more because of that.

Does the 5 goals in 13 starts after Christmas not suggest he gets forward well and is a confident finisher?

Thats a bit special in anyones books.

That is what loyalty brings you, respect and all the rest of that bollocks. Who in the English game in our life time has carried a team by the scruff of the neck and fucking did it. Our captain, thats fucking who.

Man love, yeah fucking right.

Just sitting here a bit pissed and see flashes of the goal going in against West Ham in the last seconds, his legs buckled and he won us the cup.

Istanbul fucking hell, he pulled us back into it, dead and buried and crying like a child and he brought it home, to keep.

When you mention legends, the word should be respected because they do not come along too often but by fuck is he a legend. He surpasses any player I have seen playing for our club.

That includes one hell of a list but he did it at times almost on his own, the best player I have had the pleasure to see in the shirt.

Fuck off to bed Stan. That time of night.

Does the 5 goals in 13 starts after Christmas not suggest he gets forward well and is a confident finisher?

I missed quite a few of our games after crimbo actually. In fact I've not seen us much at all in months, so yeah am kind of judging him before he improved I guess. Looking forward to watching him more next season if that's the case.

It still won't surprise me to see Henderson sold tbh. It doesn't seem to matter what he does on the pitch he always slips down the pecking order again for Joe Allen. If the gaffer gets his goalscoring attacking player, chances are going to become even more limited.

Thats a bit special in anyones books.

That is what loyalty brings you, respect and all the rest of that bollocks. Who in the English game in our life time has carried a team by the scruff of the neck and fucking did it. Our captain, thats fucking who.

Man love, yeah fucking right.

Just sitting here a bit pissed and see flashes of the goal going in against West Ham in the last seconds, his legs buckled and he won us the cup.

Istanbul fucking hell, he pulled us back into it, dead and buried and crying like a child and he brought it home, to keep.

When you mention legends, the word should be respected because they do not come along too often but by fuck is he a legend. He surpasses any player I have seen playing for our club.

That includes one hell of a list but he did it at times almost on his own, the best player I have had the pleasure to see in the shirt.

Fuck off to bed Stan. That time of night.

What a fucking post.

As far as I'm concerned, the fella has been the greatest all round footballer to play the game in the last 10-15 years and has, at the same time, been the most criminally under rated.

Istanbul sums it up. Three positions the lad played- centre mid, off the striker and wing back. How many players could do that in 90 minutes?

Love the bones of the fella. Quite simply, the best I've seen wear the red shirt.

He is a shoe in to our all time 11. That in itself is some achievement for a local kid. Add to that his standing in world football. The lad is the personification of all that is good in this fucked up modern football. A giant among his fellow pros.15 years with a great great club.

The greatest accolade he can claim though is he is the best player ever to come from 2 dogs.

Now that is some achievement. well done Steven