You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Conventional things you find strange.

Kevin D

Nothing worse than being sober around people who have had a drink, it therefore works like a domino effect - once someone breaks open the wine, you're doomed

I love a good pissup me, more than most I reckon, but I just find it baffling how the British public values very little else. Virtually everything now is purely about getting pissed. When it's warm it's pretty much the first thing that springs to mind, at Christmas it's the first thing that springs to mind etc etc

Package holidays

That is spot on.

My own addition, is shit premium fast food joints you can find anywhere and everywhere.

Prime examples are GBK and, Nandos. Er, its burger and chips or chicken and chips. Nothing special, why would you fucking queue, yes queue for that shit?

I actually liked the taste of Nandos the two times I've been. Especially as they do a very hot, because for once something is actually quite hot on the high street. But I'd only go because my niece and nephews wanted to.

GBK is a total pile of wank. It's about a tenner for a pretty shit burger, add more for chips. I'd rather go round the corner to my local greasy spoon and get pie and chips than that, or round to a non chain boozer for a burger.

I see loads of tourists (and to fair locals) down here lapping that shit up. But why would you travel to another town then eat in the same joint you can back home? What's the attraction of driving 200 miles to a seaside town with a great range of places to eat, to then go to the same fucking place you've got attached to you local multiplex? This country and the western world is fucked and I wouldn't throw it a fucking bone if it begged.

I love a good pissup me, more than most I reckon, but I just find it baffling how the British public values very little else. Virtually everything now is purely about getting pissed. When it's warm it's pretty much the first thing that springs to mind, at Christmas it's the first thing that springs to mind etc etc

This sort of follows on from what I wrote about going out clubbing on this thread. It often seems that people are unable to enjoy something unless they are inebriated or high, and they go out of their way to get into that state as quickly as possible.

I see loads of tourists (and to fair locals) down here lapping that shit up. But why would you travel to another town then eat in the same joint you can back home? What's the attraction of driving 200 miles to a seaside town with a great range of places to eat, to then go to the same fucking place you've got attached to you local multiplex? This country and the western world is fucked and I wouldn't throw it a fucking bone if it begged.

I hear what you are saying. Some folks just like that though, they are happy to travel like 200 miles to a new city and then once there they look for the nearest wethies as it is a safety thing for them.

I don't get it really. Fair play to wethies, you get a decent standard of pint anywhere with them but was it worth going away for a few days to spend your nights in a generic copy of your local?

Apparently they expect the country to bring in millions by purchasing a load of ale for this royal baby birth.

Unfuckingreal shit this. I personally couldn't give a fuck.

I am getting fed up with drinking recently (I know this could change at any time or at the opening of a crate of grolsch) I just find the following day is wasted due to being either hungover to fuck or done in because even tough you may have been dinking in moderation, you have been up till quite late.

I even went out for pint the other night and drank shandy. Did the same for my birds 30th in May. Out at 1 and got in at 3. Drank shandy for 80% of the day. Felt boss the next day.

Been on some right benders me. Anyway enough about that, back to drinking.

Drinking in the sunshine. I cant do it, the sun and alcohol just dehydrate me, then I get pissed and end up drinking all evening as well and have to write the next 2 days off. For me drinking just be done when the sun is going down.

I love a good pissup me' date=' more than most I reckon, but I just find it baffling how the British public values very little else. Virtually everything now is purely about getting pissed. When it's warm it's pretty much the first thing that springs to mind, at Christmas it's the first thing that springs to mind etc etc[/quote']

It's engineering. Undereducate people, encourage them through whatever channel is necessary to drink too much, and you have a population that can be led by the nose to lap up any shit you choose to feed them in their miserable little existence. And provide something for the thick and subservient middle classes to hang their prejudices on. Win win. Easy peasy lemon squeezy.

We now have a social and cultural underclass which accounts for almost half of the population of this country.

Good morning Britain!

That is spot on.

My own addition' date=' is shit premium fast food joints you can find anywhere and everywhere.

Prime examples are GBK and, Nandos. Er, its burger and chips or chicken and chips. Nothing special, why would you fucking queue, yes queue for that shit?

I actually liked the taste of Nandos the two times I've been. Especially as they do a very hot, because for once something is actually quite hot on the high street. But I'd only go because my niece and nephews wanted to.

GBK is a total pile of wank. It's about a tenner for a pretty shit burger, add more for chips. I'd rather go round the corner to my local greasy spoon and get pie and chips than that, or round to a non chain boozer for a burger.

I see loads of tourists (and to fair locals) down here lapping that shit up. But why would you travel to another town then eat in the same joint you can back home? What's the attraction of driving 200 miles to a seaside town with a great range of places to eat, to then go to the same fucking place you've got attached to you local multiplex? This country and the western world is fucked and I wouldn't throw it a fucking bone if it begged.[/quote']

GBKs and Nandos have been well naff for years, but if my kids want to go in there I don't turn down the opportunity for a lime milkshake or a piri-piri.

Btw I was down in Brighton for the BHF cycle jaunt the other day. It looked like a Bombay slum. What's going on?

GBKs and Nandos have been well naff for years, but if my kids want to go in there I don't turn down the opportunity for a lime milkshake or a piri-piri.

Btw I was down in Brighton for the BHF cycle jaunt the other day. It looked like a Bombay slum. What's going on?

Playing that very cool, stringers. I want to know more.

And the rubbish....seems there has been some dispute between the council and the refuse collectors (see RJ for more info)

Yeah bin men and street sweepers have been on strike. Basically it boils down to shift allowances being pulled from them, but their basic remains unchanged, so their take home taking a hit of around £4k pa (probably around 20-25% of gross)

They went on strike and an offer is being considered, so for the moment they are back at work. The streets are a lot cleaner this week.

I first came across them in Covent Garden and thought it was pretty good but then ended up in the one in town (Edinburgh) one night when we couldnt get in anywhere else...it was awful, soulless, service poor, food ordinary. I'll not be going back.

Nandos. Never been

• 2 weeks later...

Reading novels for pleasure.

I read an absolutely ridiculous amount of clinical reports for work, the last thing I want to do when I get home is read some more.

I probably read 2 maybe 3/4 books maximum a year but they'll all be political, cooking or sports based.

Dancing. Moving around to beats and rhythms. The need to express yourself this way. Why? I find it puzzling... Even though I am a musician. Guess I'm weird.

I can't dance for shit, two left feet and right footed.

A club is for late night drinking and pulling. Fuck dancing.

Weddings and especially Church ones.

Just sign a piece of paper and then go and get plastered and put the money saved towards something useful like a house, car or holiday.

This is all the more bizarre considering the amount of marriages that end in separation and divorce currently.

Weddings and especially Church ones.

Just sign a piece of paper and then go and get plastered and put the money saved towards something useful like a house, car or holiday.

This is all the more bizarre considering the amount of marriages that end in separation and divorce currently.

I agree about spending big money on it, but our wedding was ace. Loads of people I love in one place at the same time. Best party i have ever been to.

I agree about spending big money on it' date=' but our wedding was ace. Loads of people I love in one place at the same time. Best party i have ever been to.[/quote']

Mine was crap and me and the missus left early to let the rest of them enjoy it because we both hate being the centre of attention.

This statement seems strange considering my missus wanted a church wedding and I couldnt have given a toss.