You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Conventional things you find strange.

Kevin D

Praying.

I'm not being snide or deliberately controversial, just putting up a big one for me.

Talking about praying, and actually praying for things. It's literally ridiculous. There is no coherent joined-up thought that can explain how it would ever make sense. He is omnipresent and all-powerful. He knows your mum has cancer. He clearly doesn't care. And if begging him or making deals changes that then...jeez, how fucked up is that!?

Not looking for an argument. Just putting it out there as my pick. It's a hugely strange thing for intelligent people to do.

It's a pretty standard ritualised practise. No different to procrastinating over a subject or meditating. You put a subject to the forefront of your conciousness thereby bringing it into a different perspective than it would be as a latent thought or desire.

For example, a parent praying for their children every day shifts focus away from the daily stress of parenthood and onto the perspective of loving their kid and what they have to look forward to together. It's by no means a necessity, but it's not much of a stretch to imagine that that focused, positive moment would be important and refreshing to someone (just like any method of clearing your mind is therapeutic).

I don't pray and am nor religious by the way, but suggesting it's just "asking for stuff" is a pretty crass reading of it.

Why so many women continue to take their husband's name (that says name) when they get married

What does the bit in brackets mean?

I'm not sure whether you're playing me along or not but there are several on here who might be tempted to change 'name' for something more 'entertaining,' shall we say

Clubbing was good when it was good, which was for about two years back in the late eighties/early nineties. Even then the commercial ones were shite.

Missed out on that. Late eighties/early nineties was my "sitting in bedroom smoking pot/dropping acid/shrooms whilst listening to Pink Floyd and The Doors" phase.

Most males and vasectomy's, because it's very rare to meet a man that has actually decided to do it himself, usually it's the other half that has convinced the man it's the right thing to do. It reminds me of dogs and neutering, for all intents and purposes it's the same thing, i just find the whole thing odd that it's even allowed.

I went to a doctor for mine.

(By the way - it's really not the same thing as neutering. If it was, that would be strange!)

Disinterest in politics. I know the a good deal of energy is spent trying to make people apathetic towards the political arena, but I'm still amazed that there isn't much more of an effort to engage in the process and shape our affairs for the better.

Missed out on that. Late eighties/early nineties was my "sitting in bedroom smoking pot/dropping acid/shrooms whilst listening to Pink Floyd and The Doors" phase.

I may or may not having been doing a bit of that as well.

* shakes head * Next you'll all be having a pop for putting scatter cushions on a bed.

No room amongst all the teddy bears.

Correct on the milk, it's fucking weird.

We are the only animal that has warm drinks after being weaned. I find all warm drinks weird. I should be allowed to booze at work, if you are allowed to drink coffee and buzz I should be allowed to drink beer and chill.

What an utterly bizarre thing to say. We are also the only animal that posts on internet forums. I'm sure there must be other things that only we do.

Texting to communicate.

I would much rather call someone to discuss a topic rather an impersonal text.

Don't get me wrong there are times and places for example balnket texts from my manager of a certain sporting event to notify lots of people details of said game, but if you want to talk to somebody, call them its not difficult.

Texting to communicate.

I would much rather call someone to discuss a topic rather an impersonal text.

Don't get me wrong there are times and places for example balnket texts from my manager of a certain sporting event to notify lots of people details of said game, but if you want to talk to somebody, call them its not difficult.

Or text them it's not difficult!

I am the complete opposite, hate phone conversations unless they are straight to the point and over as soon as the objective is agreed/achieved. Meet at the pub? Nags head at 7.30, see you there cuntface.