You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Suarez: Sell or Keep?

WhiskeyJar

Suarez: Keep or Sell?  

308 members have voted

1. 1. Suarez: Keep or Sell?

• Keep him; he is nuts but he is world class and we do not sell world class players.
    • Sell him; he is world class but too much of a nuisance to our club. Time to cash in.
    • Not sure if we should sell him or keep him.

It's going to be highly amusing and predictable how quickly you will post after the manc game on Sunday.

Two wins to start the season and you have had fuck all positive to say about either of them you whinging fucking cunt. I've got no doubt if we get anything other than a win you will be on here within the hour bemoaning how shit the manager is and blaming anything and everything you can link to him, on him.

I'll probably post something late on Monday, not everyone sit at home in their armchair when there is a game.

Liverpool's Gerrard tells Luis Suarez: Give us one more year then join Real, Barca or Bayern.. not Arsenal

31 Aug 2013 22:31

Skipper will happily wave pal off to one of Europe's big three if Reds miss Champions League again and says Gunners is a sideways move

Steven Gerrard has told Luis Suarez that he is too big for Arsenal.

The Kop skipper became a confidante for the Uruguayan striker when he was trying to force through his departure from Anfield this summer.

Liverpool stood firm in the face of a £40,000,001 bid from the Gunners that sparked fury at the Merseyside club.

And although Gerrard knows from *experience how a player can have his head turned, having twice been on the brink of leaving Liverpool to join *Chelsea, he does not think a move to the Emirates would have been a step up for *Suarez.

Gerrard said: “I didn’t ever think Luis would leave – well, not to another English club anyway.

“I don’t want to disrespect Arsenal, because they are a fantastic club, but I don’t see joining them as being a step forward for Luis.

“There are only really two or three clubs he should leave this football club for if he is taking a step forward.

“If we don’t qualify for the *Champions League this *season he can go to Real Madrid, *Barcelona or Bayern Munich – and he can go with his head held high.

“The one thing I can assure you, it’s not about money with Luis Suarez.”

Gerrard added: “I understand we’re a little bit off the Champions League here at the moment, but I think he would ruin the relationship he has got with the supporters here if he went to another *English club.

“I saw what happened to Fernando Torres. I didn’t want Luis to make the same mistake and that’s the advice I gave him. He’ll have another chance to move forward to a club that he deserves to be at.”

Suarez will miss the clash with Manchester United today as he serves the final three games of a 10-match ban for biting Chelsea’s Branislav Ivanovic last season.

And Gerrard believes that the Liverpool No 7 will learn from the inner torment he *suffered when it came to *rejecting Chelsea in 2004 and 2005.

He said: “It was all about whether I wanted to win more trophies with Chelsea or *another club, or whether I was content to win less with Liverpool knowing that those trophies would mean more.”

Liverpool transfers: Luis Suarez is too big for Arsenal says Steven Gerrard - Mirror Online

When we sell him, because it's when, not if, perhaps we should use some of the cash on a bid for Benteke?

He just would not suit us at all. He's the type of player that would suit a side that's negative. A Mourinho/Benitez style team.

We've already got the perfect centre forward for our team in Sturridge I think. I don't think Benteke would be an improvement on him.

He just would not suit us at all. He's the type of player that would suit a side that's negative. A Mourinho/Benitez style team.

Not really. Look at Mandzukic last season and so far this season for Bayern. Benteke is much better than him. Giroud at Arsenal, Soldado at Spurs. Typical number nines that have no difficulties playing in good footballing sides.

But yeah, doubt he'd be on Rodgers radar.

Full interview here:

Steven Gerrard has no regrets in staying loyal to Liverpool

He still admires Wayne Rooney and had advice for Luis Suárez but really just wants to win the Premier League title

Steven Gerrard hears the question, gives a wry half-smile at the mention of his friend's name, and interrupts with a polite affirmative that cuts amusingly through the waffle that has surrounded the subject all summer.

"Yes," he says. "Wayne Rooney staying at Manchester United is bad news for us. Simple as that. He is a top player. I know how good Wayne is, I've worked with him for a long time. I know him personally and I know how much he loves playing against Liverpool. Would United be weaker without him? Yes."

At 33 the Liverpool captain has lost much of his former diffidence and now speaks with a quiet, confident authority. Always an intelligent individual, the mature Gerrard gives every impression of wanting to savour his last few playing years at his only club, even to the extent of sharing his opinions openly and honestly when asked. No subject is off limits, no intervention is required from his LFC minder, Gerrard tackles what comes his way with something approaching the instinctive enthusiasm he shows on the pitch. If a player who seemed impossibly youthful for most of his career is now at the elder statesman stage, English football can congratulate itself on having such a forthright, articulate one.

He laughs at the suggestion Rooney's summer of uncertainty might have affected his concentration. Other players' heads might not be right, to use the current vernacular, but not this one. "His head looked all right the other night to me," Gerrard says. "He was the best player on the pitch against Chelsea.

"I've been in that situation myself when there's speculation about your future. It does affect you, it's in every paper, every TV channel you put on, but Wayne's experienced enough now to cope with the attention. He's had attention on him since he was 16 years of age. If he plays against us there's no doubt in my mind that he can play well. It will be a touch of luck for United if he stays because he'll be wanting to break records very soon. I think he'll have a fantastic season for them, which is not good news for everyone else in the Premier League."

The good news for Liverpool, if not everyone else in the Premier League, is that Luis Suárez appears to be staying put too. Gerrard is not only happy about that, he has done his bit as club captain in persuading the feisty Uruguayan to be patient. "The manager has had the most conversations with Luis but I had daily chats with him too," he says. "I sit next to him, being the No8 next to the No7. I think you know what I've been saying but Luis had a decision to make for himself and hopefully he will decide the best thing is to stay here for a little bit longer."

Liverpool have presented a united front over Suárez all summer, apart from newly retired defender turned pundit Jamie Carragher raising a few eyebrows with his assertion that the player might now be too big for the club. "I was a bit surprised by that, because I don't believe any player is too big for this club," Gerrard says.

"It's just the same at United, the club is always bigger than the players. I can understand maybe an element of what he meant because I was frustrated too when Luis was just being linked with Arsenal. I don't want to disrespect Arsenal in any way. They are a fantastic club but I don't see it as a step forward for Luis in his career.

"There are only two or three clubs he should leave this club for if he is taking a step forward. I understand we're a little bit off the Champions League at the moment but it would be a shame to ruin the relationship he has got with the supporters to go to another English club. I saw what happened to Fernando Torres, I don't think he should make that type of move and that's the advice I gave to him."

Torres did end up with a Champions League medal, though Gerrard believes Suárez should move on from Anfield in the right way, at the right time. It is typical of him to mention not only the support Suárez has had from the terraces but the loyalty he has had from the club, some of which he owes back. "The support the fans have given him has been phenomenal," he says. "They haven't once jeered him or tried to push him or fall out with him.

"They absolutely idolise him, so surely he wants to walk out with his head held high and go to a Real Madrid, Barcelona, Bayern Munich. He can walk into any side in the world, he's that good. No one would begrudge him such a move, but for me it is important to be clapped out and clapped back in if you ever return in the future.

"People talk about player power but players have got to realise there is a loyalty they need to pay back at certain times. Luis has got to openly admit that the club has stood behind him on a couple of massive occasions and rewarded him with new contracts.

"Everyone must start realising that the club has been fair to him. I hope he stays, I'd love him to be available against United, because there were times last season when he was so unbelievable I could see why people were calling us a one-man team. Hopefully, we can get the transfer window out of the way and he's still with us, though it is ridiculous that it extends so far into the season. For everyone's benefit – supporters, media, players – it would be better to get the window out of the way before the season starts so we can all focus on the games."

Always an evocative fixture, Sunday's game against United at Anfield will mark the start of Liverpool celebrations to mark the 100th anniversary of Bill Shankly's birth, and will also bring David Moyes back to Merseyside for the first time since leaving Everton. Gerrard is a fan of both, though, of course, he knows the new United manager rather better.

"I've met David many, many times, had good chats with him and his knowledge of football is fantastic," he says. "People don't realise Everton is a massive club and how much pressure there is to do well there, and David has had them punching above their weight for a long time with the amount of money he's had available. He's done a fantastic job. I have no doubt he's going to continue to be successful. From a biased point of view I naturally hope United have a wobble. I just can't see it though because they've got too many good players."

That's the Rooney, Suárez and Moyes boxes ticked, what about the captain of England himself? Gerrard appears happy in his own skin these days, content to stay a one-club man at Liverpool after the well-publicised flirtations with Chelsea, though he accepts some of his unrealised ambitions may remain out of reach. "It's not exactly a secret that I would like to win a Premier League title, but at 33 I have to be realistic and say there might only be two or three years left in which to do it," he says.

"A lot of things would have to happen within the next 12 months, or the next two years. I've got two years left on my contract and realistically I'm quite a distance away from winning the league at the moment. I have to take that on the chin but I'll never give up fighting for it. Getting back into the Champions League might be a more achievable target – it would be a dream for me to lead the team out again on a big European night at Anfield – but even that is going to be difficult. The other four teams have all strengthened – maybe Manchester United have not done so yet but I feel they will make a big signing before the deadline – so there's still a lot of hard work to do and a lot of improvement needed if we are to nudge one of those sides out of the top four."

Yet money and medals are not everything, not when you are a Scouser playing for Liverpool who recently topped a fresh, all-time poll of Players Who Shook The Kop. Kenny Dalglish came second, Ian Rush third, since you ask.

Gerrard has most things he wanted out of life, and is appreciative. "I could have moved, I could have earned more money and won more things," he admits. "But this is where I'm going to be living for the rest of my life. This is the club and these are the people who are important to me. When the crunch came, I made my decision and I've no regrets."

Steven Gerrard has no regrets in staying loyal to Liverpool | Football | The Observer

Not really. Look at Mandzukic last season and so far this season for Bayern. Benteke is much better than him. Giroud at Arsenal, Soldado at Spurs. Typical number nines that have no difficulties playing in good footballing sides.

But yeah, doubt he'd be on Rodgers radar.

Don't get me wrong like, he wouldn't be a disaster by any means if we signed him. I just think of it like if Barcelona signed Drogba it just wouldn't have worked (obviously Benteke isn't anywhere near Drogba at his peak and we aren't anywhere near Barca but there are similarities).

I can't see Real buying Bale and Suarez but I can see Real trying to use Suarez to force the Bale price down. In a similar way that Spurs have released that there are two bidders for Bale.

I posted a couple of months back that it was only a matter of time before we knew two things - how much and where Luis was going.

However since the John W Henry statement I have revised my view. Luis isn't going anywhere in this window.

JWH has put his credibilty on the line so if Luis goes now he will be branded as completely untrustworhhy by everyone he deals with on every level of his business life. Any bid for Luis at this stage would have to be enormous for the club to even consider it.

But....... I don't think Luis is what Real need playing in between Ronaldo and Bale - imo a Dzeko,Tevez, Aguero, Sturridge or Benteke type player would be much better suited to that role. Someone who is an excellent finisher rather than a creator.

“For, me, it has been closed for some time. I made the decision to stay at Liverpool some weeks ago, and I want to stay and work for the team from now on,”

“I will go back to Liverpool to play, and I hope to be the same player the fans can trust.

“I said I wanted to play in the Champions League, but when that didn’t happen, I knew I’d be happy with life to have my future at Liverpool.”

“It is closed now, and I am comfortable with the decision. I said if there was something good, I would be interested, if not, then I am happy at Liverpool. I can say now I am happy,” he added.

“Of course, I am not playing. I just want to concentrate on getting ready to play for Liverpool again.

“It is good I will be able to play in Uruguay. We have four matches coming up that will decide if we go to the World Cup, and I want to be important in those games.”

hmm, I forgive, if you promise to behave yourself and treat us with respect next summer you little bastard!

On transfer deadline day Suarez reaffiremed his desire to stay with us, perhaps to counter the rumour that Madrid were going for a last minute offer. Led me to think he is impressed by our flying start to the season. And might change his mind about leaving us altogether if we continue in this vein, even better with his help when he comes back.

Never really thought he was leaving, how good is it we have sturridge in this form and one of the worlds best players to come into our side. Can see Suarez being the catalyst to Coutinho finding his form again, opposition teams are going to be absolutely shitting it, who to pick up.

It's great. His behaviour was terrible but the club played a blinder in dealing with him. It looked 95% certain we'd lose him for a lot less than what he was worth. And given that he's easily in the top five players in the world, he would have been irreplaceable at anything less than £100m.

I'm fickle and shallow enough that I'm already looking forward to seeing him return.

always said if he ended up staying he'd give his all still and have no reason to think otherwise now, expect he'll go next year but hopefully we have a better season this time round and it means we can either persuade him to stay again or be able to attract better replacements than we would've this summer

This might sound strange, but I think it's time Luis proved how good he really is. He's being described as among the best in the world, almost in the Messi-Ronaldo class. But in some ways it's easier to stand out in a poor team that is set up to your strenghts. Now he has to shine in a much better side with more strings to play. A truely top world-class player will lift a side from good to great, or in our case from "maybe top four" to "at least top three". If motivated I think Luis can do that.