You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Suarez: Sell or Keep?

WhiskeyJar

Suarez: Keep or Sell?  

308 members have voted

1. 1. Suarez: Keep or Sell?

• Keep him; he is nuts but he is world class and we do not sell world class players.
    • Sell him; he is world class but too much of a nuisance to our club. Time to cash in.
    • Not sure if we should sell him or keep him.

Barca B is quite a visible side. Everybody knew about Deulofeu and Tello before they came through. Do you remember Xavi coming through? I do.

Luis Alberto isn't somebody nobody has ever heard of.

Patently he wasn't because we heard of him and various journalists said he was a good coup. I'm not saying he won't be.

But I highly doubt anybody on here watched him extensively (2 matches) or even at all.

I don't think we should put too much pressure on the kid. I certainly don't expect him to jump into the first team any time soon...but would love to be pleasantly surprised!

We have paid £7M for a player with only 7 La Liga games to his name' date=' while again sending Pachecho out on loand and also Suso.

Luis Alberto is obviously so highly rated in Spain he's been seen as too good to play much for their youth sides compared to lesser players like Suso and Pacheco.

Luis Alberto:

2010–2011 Spain U18 2 (0)

2011–2012 Spain U19 3 (1)

2013– Spain U21 1 (0)

Suso:

2009–2010 Spain U17 7 (5)

2011–2012 Spain U18 5 (0)

2012– Spain U19 9 (1)

2013 Spain U20 7 (1)

2012– Spain U21 2 (0)

Dani Pacheco:

2007 Spain U16 5 (0)

2007–2008 Spain U17 5 (3)

2009 Spain U18 3 (1)

2009–2010 Spain U19 12 (5)

2011 Spain U20 6 (0)

2011 Spain U21 2 (0)[/quote']

Code sometimes you have to pay that for a prospect. Look at how much Bale commanded, and Walcott. The club have made their bet on him now it's best to wait and see if it was a good one.

I think it's fair to say the money was going to be spent on mikwhateverhisnamewas though' date=' I'm as frustrated as anybody but there's no point just spending money for the sake of it, we're in a bit of a hole at the moment because the best players won't come here, it really is that simple. If the targets are there I think they will spend money[/quote']

I don't think that is fair to say. My belief is we hoped that deal would be so difficult it would drag on past the Suarez sale, when Dortmund got their fingers out, we were fucked as we had no money to bid, so we never put an offer on the table. Very similar to how we signed Suarez in fact. We belled about for a month, Torres put a transfer request in, Chelsea put good money on the table, we completed the deal with Ajax almost doubling our original offer and paying the original asking price and accepted the bid from Chelsea.

I doubt very much if we'll sell to Arsenal at any price they could afford. We're only publically entertaining the idea in order to keep the price up for other potential bidders. If we are looking to sell him (and I think, and hope, we are) then it does our cause no good to publically dismiss the possibility of him going to Arsenal (or any other PL club) because it means any bids they've made count for nothing when we're trying to negotiate a good fee. Everything I've seen so far is consistent with this approach.

And, yeah, I want him gone now. Regardless of his ability, surely we've not regressed so far as a club and a fanbase that we'll forgive what he's been up to recently (and, leaving aside the shit he's put us through during his time here, I find his lies and constant talk, both directly and indirectly, to the media he claims to hate about wanting to move pretty fucking distasteful) because we think he's a great player? What about principles? What about 'no-one is bigger than the Club'? Whoever mentioned it earlier on here had it spot on when they said that the true sign of a big club is one that doesn't allow individuals to shit on them because our apparent need for them is so great. That's the mindset of a battered woman, not a club that has a proud and dignified tradition.

In an ideal world I'd have him sat on the bench for the rest of his contract, to show the cheeky cunt (and any other footballer with the same ideas) that we're not to be fucked about with. Of course, that option is never a goer for various reasons, so sell him for the highest amount possible whilst not improving a rivals side. What we certainly shouldn't be doing is begging him to stay, offering to increase his enormous wages even more - not since he's decided that, in order to get what he wants, he'll disrespect the Club the way he has with his very public whingeing.

Even looking at it from a purely footballing point of view, I don't think he's as vital to our chances of improvement as some think. He's undoubtedly highly talented, but I've never liked the idea of building a side around one player, as we've done with Suarez. What about injuries, or, as is particularly the case with Suarez, bans, and wanting to leave? With a good sum properly invested we could be a better side than we are now, with more options and more stability. Yes, we could get worse too, but I don't see having anxiety issues about us getting the targets wrong as being a valid reason to hold onto him, or any player.

Reading through this thread I've also come across a couple of things I never knew about Suarez: that he took his then club to court to engineer a move to Ajax; and that, despite being Ajax's star player (as he is here), they actually improved as a team once he left. I haven't checked those claims, but assuming they're true, they're also things to take into account when considering whether we really want or need him as much as some argue.

I don't think that is fair to say. My belief is we hoped that deal would be so difficult it would drag on past the Suarez sale, when Dortmund got their fingers out, we were fucked as we had no money to bid, so we never put an offer on the table. Very similar to how we signed Suarez in fact. We belled about for a month, Torres put a transfer request in, Chelsea put good money on the table, we completed the deal with Ajax almost doubling our original offer and paying the original asking price and accepted the bid from Chelsea.

Well I can only disagree, FSG have put plenty of cash up for transfers, it's not their fault scores of millions of it has been poured down the shitter.

We'll have to disagree then. I think this summers money was spent in January.

So you think that the club and Brendan Rodgers are now just pretending to try and sign players? That we won't bring in anyone for £10-20 million between now and the season starting?

Wow.

So you think that the club and Brendan Rodgers are now just pretending to try and sign players? That we won't bring in anyone for £10-20 million between now and the season starting?

Wow.

Not unless we sell Suarez I don't. Rodgers said last week, an attacking player and a left back and that was it. Looks like we're getting a left back on loan. Should tell you all you need to know. The attacking player would have been the Armenian had the Suarez deal been done. If we spend more than about £5/6m net this summer I will be amazed.

The head of the Ajax academy told me last year that even though everybody in Ajax (coaching staff, players, fans) all loved Suarez they actually didnt win anything with him. He was the best player they had but they felt he made the team worse because he slowed down their offensive passing. They also became too one dimensional with him.

Guest Numero Veinticinco
How about you give him a chance? if he was a Dalglish signing you would and you know you would but he's a Rodgers buy so he must be slaughtered.

He's probably just pissed because Allen has had a good return from injury and Mignolet looks good so far. As for Suarez, his heart really seems in it. Not.

The main problem we have now though is that Arsenal seem to be the only club interested in Suarez.

Real Madrid want Bale, Bayern don't seem interested so it actually looks like we will end up keeping him.

Aye, said all along that the problem he has is that nobody wants him, rightly or wrongly for as good as he is he is seen as more trouble than he's worth.

It looks fairly obvious now that what he said about wanting to play for a team abroad is what he wants. Arsenal wanting him has come as a bit of a shock to both the club and Luis.

I still don't think he wants to go there and also the club don't want to sell him to them. If they do put a offer of £50 to £55 million in for him then the club would be stupid not to seriously think about accepting the bid. That sort of money is what his value is at if he didn't have a 6 game ban left and the problems Luis has. That sort of valuation is right and is probably the highest value he is worth if he didn't have issues which he obviously has.

Six games is a big amount of games to miss from a season and a major factor in his value. Because of that his proper value at the moment is around what Arsenal have offered.

Any club who has him there know without doubt he will carry on doing stupid things and picking up needless bans , on the other hand they know what he also brings to a team. Goals assists and a enthusiasim for playing and wining that is a joy to witness. He will win games for teams with a piece of genius that no other player including Messi could produce. He isn't up in the Messi bracket and never will be but he can do things that no other player could do and that's his genius. I would love to see a poll with defenders who have played against both Suarez and Messi or any other player and them to be asked which of them they just dread playing against. If they answered honestly I think it would be Suarez because of his in your face style and his ability to tie defenders up with his nutmegs and trickery. He makes defenders look stupid at times with his style.

I cant see his value ever going higher than it is now and can only ever see it either staying the same or more likely dropping with every stupid thing he does and he will keep doing them.

If Arsenal came in with another higher bid under £50 million we wont take it and I think if Madrid came in with a bid of £40 to £45 million even so it is lower than the Arsenal bid we will will accept it.

With that ban and knowing he will bring problems £45 million is about the highest valuation of him at this moment in time. If Madrid was the team who offered £40 million like Arsenal have imo we would of took it and probably still would if they do offer it.

Be interesting if arsenal came back with that £50 or £55 million bid and we accept it as I can honestly see Luis saying no more than him saying yes to the move.

But how about the Welsh Xavi, is he better than him?

Fucking hell give the kid a chance, he's a young player who's had one injury hit season. Whether he'll prove good enough, who knows?

Allen is the current welsh player of the year, voted in nov last year, beating the likes of giggs, bellamy, williams, and the mighty apeman because until his injury he looked a very accomplished football player.

Guest Numero Veinticinco
I think he has every right to be negative when we are currently sitting 9th in the league.

Come on, you're not telling the whole truth there. Clearly a pro-Rodgers post. How many goals have we scored? NONE. How many games have we won? NONE. We've not even had a shot on fucking goal. The Pro-Rodgers Taliban out in force.