You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Suarez: Sell or Keep?

WhiskeyJar

Suarez: Keep or Sell?  

308 members have voted

1. 1. Suarez: Keep or Sell?

• Keep him; he is nuts but he is world class and we do not sell world class players.
    • Sell him; he is world class but too much of a nuisance to our club. Time to cash in.
    • Not sure if we should sell him or keep him.

It has happened with Luis himself: He was Ajax' best player, they did not once win the league whilst he was there. He left in January 2011 and Ajax have won three titles since.

It's about how you respond. Do you manage to replace him? Can you adapt the team in such a way as to compensate the loss and, who knows, get more out of the other players? Can you adapt the style and system to the loss of the player? Will the atmosphere in the dressing room be better or worse? There are a thousand factors that can come into play.

Frankly, I am just sick of the whole thing but not surprised. Footballers, on the whole, are twats and not very bright. If he came out and said he wants to play CL football and wont be doing that with LFC, fine. All this shite about the media is just that: shite, designed to get the 'fans onside' and make himself look good. To be fair, he does not strike me as the brightest star in the sky either.

It was the same with McManaman or Owen, the inability to say what you really want is just sickening, they are all like little kids.

I am pretty sure he will go and, if we get 50m and manage to reinvest that money, it would be a good deal.

this saga shows just how skint our yank owners really are, BR cant buy until he sells.

Suarez has decided to quit Anfield as he is convinced they haven’t strengthened sufficiently over the summer to finish in the top four.

That is according to the Uruguayan’s close friend and international team-mate Edinson Cavani, with whom he confided at length over the summer.

Cavani said: “We have been speaking a lot and, while I can’t tell you everything, I can tell you that he is desperate to start playing Champions League football.

“Liverpool already know that, though, because he has told them.

“I think if he thought Liverpool would qualify for Champions League football next season he would stay but, with the other top teams in England adding players, he doesn’t think Liverpool have the resources to break into the Champions League spots.

“I have said before one of the most complete strikers in the world needs to be playing at the top level and I hope Liverpool understand that.

“He doesn’t want to leave on bad terms because he respects the club and fans, but he needs to achieve his dreams in the game.”

Earlier this month, the Sunday People revealed his exit could turn messy over the interpretation of a £40m clause.

And Arsenal have now tabled a cheeky bid of £40,000,001 which they - and Suarez’s agents - believe should allow him to leave.

However, he still has three years remaining on his contract and Liverpool are set to play hardball by insisting they will not sell unless a side meets their £50m-plus valuation of the player.

Real Madrid are still monitoring the Suarez situation.

Transfers: Liverpool Luis Suarez unconvinced Arsenal will qualify for the Champions League group stage - Mirror Online

Suarez has decided to quit Anfield as he is convinced they haven’t strengthened sufficiently over the summer to finish in the top four.

That is according to the Uruguayan’s close friend and international team-mate Edinson Cavani, with whom he confided at length over the summer.

Cavani said: “We have been speaking a lot and, while I can’t tell you everything, I can tell you that he is desperate to start playing Champions League football.

“I think if he thought Liverpool would qualify for Champions League football next season he would stay but, with the other top teams in England adding players, he doesn’t think Liverpool have the resources to break into the Champions League spots.

“I have said before one of the most complete strikers in the world needs to be playing at the top level and I hope Liverpool understand that.

“He doesn’t want to leave on bad terms because he respects the club and fans, but he needs to achieve his dreams in the game.”

Earlier this month, the Sunday People revealed his exit could turn messy over the interpretation of a £40m clause.

And Arsenal have now tabled a cheeky bid of £40,000,001 which they - and Suarez’s agents - believe should allow him to leave.

However, he still has three years remaining on his contract and Liverpool are set to play hardball by insisting they will not sell unless a side meets their £50m-plus valuation of the player.

Transfers: Liverpool Luis Suarez unconvinced Arsenal will qualify for the Champions League group stage - Mirror Online

Ironically enough he's part of those resources. So he must be criticizing himself then right? Just once (in recent terms anyway) I'd like to see a player that says "Of course we can make the CL, and I'll be sure to prove that correct next season", rather than the seemingly standard "My club isn't good enough in my opinion so I'd like to move".

What is it about Suarez or his representatives that causes this kind of a transfer saga?

I was trying to think back to the last time a big transfer had happened with very public, incrementally increasing bids like this and realised the last time I could remember it was when Comolli was after Suarez.

If I recall correctly our initial offer was something like 12 million, which Ajax laughed at. Then we "played hardball" for a while (which Comolli interpreted as basically doing nothing except giving interviews about how much we wanted him) and eventually upped our offer to 15 million. Ajax got angry, made noises like they were going to walk away and then we paid the 22 million they had asked for from the beginning.

What's more, the transfer to bring Suarez to Ajax from Groningen was almost the same, with them offering 3.5 million, him causing a fuss and taking Groningen to court, losing, and eventually he was sold for the 7.5 million Groningen had wanted.

Clearly, the common denominator here is Suarez and his representation. The good news is, in both previous occasions he eventually went for the asking price.

What is it about Suarez or his representatives that causes this kind of a transfer saga?

I was trying to think back to the last time a big transfer had happened with very public, incrementally increasing bids like this and realised the last time I could remember it was when Comolli was after Suarez.

If I recall correctly our initial offer was something like 12 million, which Ajax laughed at. Then we "played hardball" for a while (which Comolli interpreted as basically doing nothing except giving interviews about how much we wanted him) and eventually upped our offer to 15 million. Ajax got angry, made noises like they were going to walk away and then we paid the 22 million they had asked for from the beginning.

What's more, the transfer to bring Suarez to Ajax from Groningen was almost the same, with them offering 3.5 million, him causing a fuss and taking Groningen to court, losing, and eventually he was sold for the 7.5 million Groningen had wanted.

Clearly, the common denominator here is Suarez and his representation. The good news is, in both previous occasions he eventually went for the asking price.

I am not sure about that. A lot of transfers end up as drawn out as this one is.

Clubs always end up haggling, particularly if you have an unwilling seller.

Guest Numero Veinticinco

So, he wants to leave because of our lack of ambition.in the market, but was pissing and moaning way before the window even opened. Rrrriiiggghhhtttt.

The Mirror are a bunch of shit stirring twats aren't they. These Cavani quotes are from months ago.

Guest Numero Veinticinco
Was he?

And unless you are totally blinkered its a bit difficult to get impressed with our summer signings so far.

I'm already fucked off with the way we've not signed anybody in the Winter 2015/15 window. I mean, if we're going piss and moan about not signing more than four players in this window with much of the window still to run - the business end - then why not start moaning about other future events?

Guest San Don

I dont know what part of 'minimum £50m' if a club wants to buy the player arse dont understand but, I think one paper is suggesting a £42.5m bid from them next.

And I dont see how any bid under £50m tests LFC's 'resolve' not to sell either as the papers all seem to say.

£50m and we might talk to you, otherwise, fuck em off.

I'm already fucked off with the way we've not signed anybody in the Winter 2015/15 window. I mean' date=' if we're going piss and moan about not signing more than four players in this window with much of the window still to run - the business end - then why not start moaning about other future events?[/quote']

It's disingenuous though to say we've signed 4 players like we've added 4 players to the squad, mignolet replaced pepe, toure for carra, Alberto for shelvey. It's debatable if any if those players move us forward, so the only real addition is Aspas, who while he looks ok is a 25 year old who's managed one season in the top flight in a poor team. We've not moved the squad forward in any way up to now for where I'm sitting and if those quotes from cavani are new or old, they're not wrong. We just won't catch the top 4 with the signings we've made so far.

Guest Numero Veinticinco
It's disingenuous though to say we've signed 4 players like we've added 4 players to the squad

It's not, because that's exactly what happened. If we're going down that route, every transfer in history has to be looked at in the same way, otherwise we'd have a squad of about 5k players.We've added the type of player that Rodgers wants.

mignolet replaced pepe, toure for carra, Alberto for shelvey. It's debatable if any if those players move us forward, so the only real addition is Aspas, who while he looks ok is a 25 year old who's managed one season in the top flight in a poor team. We've not moved the squad forward in any way up to now for where I'm sitting and if those quotes from cavani are new or old, they're not wrong. We just won't catch the top 4 with the signings we've made so far.

Well, I totally disagree with that. It's subjective, but I think we've improved on every deal. I also think we've got plenty of time to bring others in, and that's not debatable.

I'm already fucked off with the way we've not signed anybody in the Winter 2015/15 window. I mean, if we're going piss and moan about not signing more than four players in this window with much of the window still to run - the business end - then why not start moaning about other future events?

We have signed 4 players for £23M so far and managed to not increase the squad in either quantity or quality.

As a world class player with ambitions for yourself you would probably look at it and wonder what the fuck is going on here?

Guest Numero Veinticinco
We have signed 4 players for £23M so far and managed to not increase the squad in either quantity or quality.

Of course we've improved the quality. We've got a better keeper, we've replaced a retiree with an experienced player, we've got more strength in the attacking positions, and we've clearly still got money to spend and time to spend it. Incase you've not noticed on your spreadsheet, we're on tour at the moment.

It's not' date=' because that's exactly what happened. If we're going down that route, every transfer in history has to be looked at in the same way, otherwise we'd have a squad of about 5k players.We've added the type of player that Rodgers wants.

Well, I totally disagree with that. It's subjective, but I think we've improved on every deal. I also think we've got plenty of time to bring others in, and that's not debatable.[/quote']

Our squad has been threadbare for a while, we need to add to our first XI and as a consequence increase the size if the squad. Unless you think plodding along hoping those above us will fail is a decent strategy.

About the only thing that is not debatable is there's time, you're right about that. It is certainly debatable if there's any desire, finances or ability (due to our current station as a mid table team not in Europe). to add any real quality to the squad. If you think we've made a massive leap forward this summer (which is what it will take to get to top 4), I would suspect you don't watch enough football or observe the limited impact of these types of signings usually make - either that or you're clearly looking at this with rose tinted glasses.

Of course we've improved the quality. We've got a better keeper, we've replaced a retiree with an experienced player, we've got more strength in the attacking positions, and we've clearly still got money to spend and time to spend it. Incase you've not noticed on your spreadsheet, we're on tour at the moment.

We have got a worse keeper, we have got a worse CB, if Alberto is Shelveys or Suso's replacement is difficult to tell, but I've seen nothing to suggest he is an improvement on either and neither does his earlier career suggest he is.

Aspas neither for that matter apart from one good pass he has done little to impress me.

So basically we have wasted £23M just like last summer with Borini, Allan, Sahin, Assaidi etc and stood still or gone backwards.

And for your argument about the window still being open, my guess is we will lose more players than we will add.

Guest Numero Veinticinco

About the only thing that is not debatable is there's time, you're right about that. It is certainly debatable if there's any desire, finances or ability (due to our current station as a mid table team not in Europe). to add any real quality to the squad.

It's certainly debatable, but not sensibly.

If you think we've made a massive leap forward this summer (which is what it will take to get to top 4), I would suspect you don't watch enough football or observe the limited impact of these types of signings usually make - either that or you're clearly looking at this with rose tinted glasses.

Firstly, I reject the premise that it would now take a massive leap forward to get top four. It would have taken a massive leap from the side Rodgers too over, but the one we ended last season with won't take a massive leap. It'll take squad strengthening (done it), and two or three quality players in the first team (time to do it, with us already having tried to sign some).

As for watching enough football... a lot of things can be said about me, but not watching enough football isn't one of them. I'd wager I watch more football than just about anybody on this forum. To the point where it makes me a right saddo.

It's not, because that's exactly what happened. If we're going down that route, every transfer in history has to be looked at in the same way, otherwise we'd have a squad of about 5k players.We've added the type of player that Rodgers wants.

Well, I totally disagree with that. It's subjective, but I think we've improved on every deal. I also think we've got plenty of time to bring others in, and that's not debatable.

We have got plenty of time but we just don't seem to be doing much with that time, every deal we've made or tried to make has been pretty much public knowledge beforehand so I don't believe the club have now just gone all covert to conclude our other deals, it just seems to me we are waiting on the money from Suarez before signing any more which isn't really acceptable

Guest Numero Veinticinco
We have got a worse keeper, we have got a worse CB, if Alberto is Shelveys or Suso's replacement is difficult to tell, but I've seen nothing to suggest he is an improvement on either and neither does his earlier career suggest he is.

Aspas neither for that matter apart from one good pass he has done little to impress me.

So basically we have wasted £23M just like last summer with Borini, Allan, Sahin, Assaidi etc and stood still or gone backwards.

Normal nordickhead nonsense.

And for your argument about the window still being open, my guess is we will lose more players than we will add.

If we lose Borini and Adam Morgan but add Soldado, will you be annoyed?

As for watching enough football... a lot of things can be said about me, but not watching enough football isn't one of them. I'd wager I watch more football than just about anybody on this forum. To the point where it makes me a right saddo.

Imagine if you actually understood it?