You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Suarez: Sell or Keep?

WhiskeyJar

Suarez: Keep or Sell?  

308 members have voted

1. 1. Suarez: Keep or Sell?

• Keep him; he is nuts but he is world class and we do not sell world class players.
    • Sell him; he is world class but too much of a nuisance to our club. Time to cash in.
    • Not sure if we should sell him or keep him.

Marca

CARLOS CARPIO 07/24/2013

PrintSend

Higuaín is off to Naples and Real Madrid is not going to sign a number '9', even if Ibrahimovic and Luis Suárez were begging for a place. The 'Los Blancos' club is set on opting for home-grown talents, Morata and Jesé, as replacements for 'El Pipa' with the convincing argument: "We believe in them and they deserve this opportunity. They are also very good. If Higuaín leaves, we are not going to sign a new forward".

This is what is called a half-truth, common currency in the complex relationship between a journalist and club management. Because not bringing in a new forward is one thing and not bringing in a goalscorer is quite another matter. Which Bale is. In fact, last season he scored 26 goals in the Premier League, to Luis Suarez's 30 and the fractious Ibra's 33.

To me, Higuaín has always seemed like a great attacker and his progression over the six and a half seasons that he has sported the white shirt has been huge. He may not be the undisputed forward to carry Real Madrid if we take CR7 out of the equation, although he has always complained of lack of continuity, citing his goal/min ratio. In any case, it is understandable for him to want to play in a team that ensures him the star status he believes he deserves.

We should not forget, however, that Real Madrid's top scorer over recent years has been Cristiano, with 50 goals per campaign, from the wing to boot. Gareth Bale does not play out front either, but has exceeded the 20 goals averaged by 'El Pipita'. What I'm trying to say is, it does not matter whether the cat is black or white, so long as it catches mice.

For me it is pretty simple.

If the club has any ambition whatsoever then Luis Suarez does not leave this summer, regardless of fee, regardless of his wishes, regardless of the media.

He is a world class talent, no matter what money we raise having Luis in the team is far more valuable. It's going to nigh on impossible to sign top class players this summer without European football.

Fuck the money, we are better off with him. The club do not have to sell him, they are not bound to sell him. If we have a shred of ambition or a pair of bollocks about us then we have to stand firm, reject everything out of hand, and make the statement that Luis Suarez will not be leaving Liverpool Football Club this summer under any circumstances.

It's not really about ambition though, the reality is we don't have the tools to compete for the big players - at the moment. Clubs can't stand in the way of players who want to leave, world class players have left world class sides countless times for rivals in recent years, even when they were in the CL and paying top dollar for players.

For me, if he goes to Arsenal then he's undone everything he's said, it would make no sense at all, it's alright saying they're in the CL but they'll win fuck all again and he's still going to be in England and even closer to the English media than he is here.

That being said, it'll be interesting to see how, once he's away from here, he becomes a lovable rogue/flawed genius rather than the spawn of the devil he's portrayed as here - and he will.

I find it hard to be arsed anyway, Torres broke something in me, coupled with me getting older and wiser to it all, I view them all as transient gobshites these days anyway, if you want loyalty get a dog.

I imagine it's what we also did when we signed Carroll, Downing , Henderson and the list goes on. The reality there will be a failure rate however much you scout, analyse and review players before signing them. There isnt a club in the world who can make three to four signings and get them all spot on at the same time. Thats what we need to do, to be better off than we are now and without Suarez.

I'm surprised the new scouts havent been mentioned yet (or probably have but i cannot be bothered going through the thread looking for it).

Its like scouts didnt exist before the man city lot joined.

The point is, nobody knows what is going to happen or who we are going to sign, so simply declaring that we are necessarily going to be worse as a team is just ridiculous.

If you really believe that then I assume you think we will finish lower in the table next season, and with less points?

How is it any different to saying the complete opposite?

Neither of you know for sure.

However, previous evidence would suggest Paul is more likely to be correct.

I didn't say "the complete opposite". I said that I am confident we will be stronger as a team. He made a declarative statement; I made a subjective judgement based on the fact that, a) I've been impressed with the players we have signed so far, and b) we looked a good team at the end of last season when Suarez was out.

As to your second point, what "previous evidence" are you talking about exactly?

Everything said in here is opinion. I think we'd do better next season wuth Suarez than we would if we sild him and bought 3 players. Not sure we'd get less points cos after last summer's transfer disaster we were shit for months. Surely we can't that shit again.

We should ask for Wilshire plus £20m.

Honestly, I look at that Arsenal squad and feel quite confident that we're much better placed to make top four next season. The quality is paper thin if they get injuries.

A neat run in the last part of the season masked some shitty home truths for Arsenal.

The point is, nobody knows what is going to happen or who we are going to sign, so simply declaring that we are necessarily going to be worse as a team is just ridiculous.

If you really believe that then I assume you think we will finish lower in the table next season, and with less points?

Not easily quantifiable. I imagine there would have e quite a bit of an improvement to last season with the same team/squad as last season anyway. I believe that rodgers will be a bit more pragmatic with tactics aswell.

As for position in the table, it depends on the level of performance from the other teams around us as much as ourselves. Just by way of example, i dont see the bitters being in the top five.

All i can say is that i firmly believe that we would be a harder team to face with Suarez still here.

Everything said in here is opinion. I think we'd do better next season wuth Suarez than we would if we sild him and bought 3 players. Not sure we'd get less points cos after last summer's transfer disaster we were shit for months. Surely we can't that shit again.

Might be a few cause/correlation issues there as we were also pretty shit for 6 months before last summer.

In fact we've been shit for 4 years now. Which is why we keep losing our best players.

Did our run mask some shitty home truths? Arsenal went on a brilliant run. If we sell Suarez to them they will finish above us.

'Brilliant'.

If we sell Suarez to them and don't replace him, yes, it'll be difficult to top them.

But we're not mental, we'll happily reinvest that money.

You underestimate us, our kids are growing up and they're fucking boss.

Aspas will do a passable impression of Suarez as well, but look at the quality of Coutinho, Gerrard, Sturridge, and then the rich potential of Sterling, Ibe and Borini. But we also tried to get Mkhitaryan for £20m, so that's going to get spent, and then another £50m for Suarez... I back the scouting team to already have a list of names that we may be in a position to bid on earlier than we planned on.

£50m changes my mind on Suarez, it's an obscene amount and the lad is even banned fr the first six games.

A £70m kitty, plus Reinas wages off the books, could accelerate the building of this new team. Yes it's a bind to lose a player like Suarez, but he's one player in a team of eleven, our future success lies in improving the eleven.

Guest San Don
It's not really about ambition though, the reality is we don't have the tools to compete for the big players - at the moment. Clubs can't stand in the way of players who want to leave, world class players have left world class sides countless times for rivals in recent years, even when they were in the CL and paying top dollar for players.

For me, if he goes to Arsenal then he's undone everything he's said, it would make no sense at all, it's alright saying they're in the CL but they'll win fuck all again and he's still going to be in England and even closer to the English media than he is here.

That being said, it'll be interesting to see how, once he's away from here, he becomes a lovable rogue/flawed genius rather than the spawn of the devil he's portrayed as here - and he will.

I find it hard to be arsed anyway, Torres broke something in me, coupled with me getting older and wiser to it all, I view them all as transient gobshites these days anyway, if you want loyalty get a dog.

The thing that cant be quantified though is keeping a player who doesnt want to be here.

As far as I know, there are very few examples of where a player is held to a contract by a club who doesnt want to be there.

Spurs managed to hold onto modric for 1 extra season. Im obviously not a follower of spurs so I dont know if the accepted opinion by their fans is that he gave as good in his last season as prior to wanting away. Did manchester united manage to hang on to ladyboy for an extra season before he went to real?

El Sulko stunk the place out when he was here angling for a move.

Clubs dont generally make players who want away to stay for a reason. There must be real concerns about whether such a player would operate at 100% or something less. And, as we know in the PL, someone not giving 100% can easily cost you a game.

I dont want suarez to go but Im also pragmatic about it. I think he wants out. I think his preference is madrid. But in the absence of a realistic bid from them, I think he's more than happy to consider arse and I dont think his speaking to them is an attempt to get madrid's interest.

I think we'd be transferring the Madrid problem to Arsenal, because he'll always gravitate towards them and be open to another move.

It's World Cup next Summer as well, another massive shop window for him. I can see him moving to Madrid, Barca or Bayern in 12 months time, regardless if he stays he or goes Arsenal now.

Looks like he wants to talk to them. If that's correct he is the arsehole many have painted him to be. I have no problem with a player going wherever they want, fuck it, they aren't slaves but for him to start with its all the press hassling me stuff and then going to another English team is just hypocritical of him. If it is true, fuck him off to whoever we'll just have to do it without him and bide our time. Football is fluid, not all things pan out like people think they will.

'Brilliant'.

If we sell Suarez to them and don't replace him, yes, it'll be difficult to top them.

But we're not mental, we'll happily reinvest that money.

You underestimate us, our kids are growing up and they're fucking boss.

Aspas will do a passable impression of Suarez as well, but look at the quality of Coutinho, Gerrard, Sturridge, and then the rich potential of Sterling, Ibe and Borini. But we also tried to get Mkhitaryan for £20m, so that's going to get spent, and then another £50m for Suarez... I back the scouting team to already have a list of names that we may be in a position to bid on earlier than we planned on.

£50m changes my mind on Suarez, it's an obscene amount and the lad is even banned fr the first six games.

A £70m kitty, plus Reinas wages off the books, could accelerate the building of this new team. Yes it's a bind to lose a player like Suarez, but he's one player in a team of eleven, our future success lies in improving the eleven.

Well theres a lot of things to consider. Would all the 50 million plus the 20 we should have be available to spend?

Would we find players who are good enough and willing to come?

Would we have enough time if this drags on another week or two?

To be honest no one knows who it will pan out, its like every summer. 90% of what gets said and discussed in conjecture.

Personally I'm nervous if Suarez goes we're going to struggle to bring in the quality we'll need to replace him. It's far from impossible but far from certain. Basically theres enough room for it all to go tits up to make me very nervous.

First, I think the comments he made about the press won't help him or us next season, referees read newspapers too and they press know they can push his buttons. Another good reason to let Arsenal take the £50m gamble.

Second, FSG have always let us spend what we make through sales so why change now.

The way the transfer market is going, we'll be the last club left with money to burn, with Chelsea, City and Arsenal all spending their wedge, and Spurs will be running dry after another big buy.

Not easily quantifiable. I imagine there would have e quite a bit of an improvement to last season with the same team/squad as last season anyway. I believe that rodgers will be a bit more pragmatic with tactics aswell.

As for position in the table, it depends on the level of performance from the other teams around us as much as ourselves. Just by way of example, i dont see the bitters being in the top five.

All i can say is that i firmly believe that we would be a harder team to face with Suarez still here.

First point is reasonable in a broad sense, but the only way to quantify if we are a better team without Suarez is the league table. There are other factors to take into account, but I know that if we finish in the top 4 next season without Suarez I will be pretty happy.

The last point isn't really worth addressing as far as I'm concerned because we don't know who is going to replace him yet.

I didn't say "the complete opposite". I said that I am confident we will be stronger as a team. He made a declarative statement; I made a subjective judgement based on the fact that, a) I've been impressed with the players we have signed so far, and b) we looked a good team at the end of last season when Suarez was out.

As to your second point, what "previous evidence" are you talking about exactly?

Selling our best players and getting shitter.

My 2 year old is puking his heart up all evening, stupid fucking lightning keeps knocking out our power, Suarez is acting the cunt, and Millie Clode is either letting herself go or is up the duff.

What a fucking shit day.

Edit: Turns out she's up the duff. Bet it was pure dirty.

Edited by Lario

We must be the most successful (historical) mismanaged team in Europe over the last how many years. It all started with David Moores selling out to a couple of shysters. Later, who not in need of sectioning would bin Benitez for Hodgson. The here and now, I’m not sure the ‘new Americans’ are that bad, Rodgers is still an unknown quantity, but I wish harm on that fucking clown Ayres.

And now Arsenal, a decent club but shows our decline if those fuckers end up signing our best player, would also show lack of ambition on our part.

Suarez is a cunt, we knew that anyway, but being mid table, and Ayres at the reign, lack of ambition maybe, can you blame him.

This decline set in long before Moores sold up

We never 'got it' and we still don't 'get it'

I looked at Munich before, massive class ground, run by club legends who put the club 1st and cheap seats for fans and think we were a couple of European Cups ahead of them at one point.

We just never capitalised and we never will and unless we get bought by someone with bottomless pockets we wont get back to the top

Guest San Don
This decline set in long before Moores sold up

We never 'got it' and we still don't 'get it'

I looked at Munich before, massive class ground, run by club legends who put the club 1st and cheap seats for fans and think we were a couple of European Cups ahead of them at one point.

We just never capitalised and we never will and unless we get bought by someone with bottomless pockets we wont get back to the top

Yep, pretty much as I see it. What I dont get is, we were the first club to wear a shirt sponsor. So, we were aware of the sponsorship avenues open to the club but then never pursued them.

It was a complete joke that under carolgees and coco we had so few sponsorship deals for a club our size. Utter disgrace.