You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Suarez: Sell or Keep?

WhiskeyJar

Suarez: Keep or Sell?  

308 members have voted

1. 1. Suarez: Keep or Sell?

• Keep him; he is nuts but he is world class and we do not sell world class players.
    • Sell him; he is world class but too much of a nuisance to our club. Time to cash in.
    • Not sure if we should sell him or keep him.

What I'm saying Howie is that its usually more useful to have a striker who score a goal every game than one who score 3 gols every 3rd game.

But that's not true.

Sturridge got 10 goals in 14 games. Isn't he quicker to 10 goals for us than Torres and Fowler?

Guess they were not good enough as well then Code?!

Sturridge's goal/assist return was impressive in the time he played, there's little doubt about it.

However, I've still got a nagging doubt. His performance on the last day (albeit in a meaningless game) was one of the worst I've seen by a man in a red shirt. A bold statement given the competition over the past 20 years, but I would put it right up there. He was a disgrace and he shouldn't have been paid.

He did the equivalent of turning up to the factory with a hangover, and locking yourself in the bogs with the Mirror all afternoon. The foreman should have had a word.

From the daily Blurt.

According to sources in Islamabad we can now reveal that Luis Suarez is infact the secret lovechild of Adolf Hitler and Greta Garbo. A unidentified source told us how he seen his birth and how he seen the devil delivering him.

He went on to reveal how all the little bunny rabbits just died the moment Suarez came into the world. He also told us how he witnessed Suarez growing up on a diet of just Babies heads.

It has also been reported how Suarez could be seen leaving the coffin he lived in underground and venturing into the darkness at 1am every day. Mr Jack Anory went on to say how Suarez would be see nreturning a hour later carrying three or four dead babies and usually twins back to his coffin.

We were told that around 4am daily you could see the smoke from his BBQ and if you went close enough how you could see the babies heads being BBQ along with eggs and hash browns made out of puppies. We can reveal that he even went as low as having beans with his baby heads and eggs.

Translated from a interview Suarez done in Uruguay.

Michu played as the lone striker for Swansea last season and as the attacking midfielder / number 10 role (it was probably more as an attacking midfielder in a free role).

It is not dumb it is true.

Discuss posts without calling people dumb, it is needless.

I want what back?

You want the gold - ...whispers do it.

Amigo, Michu is not a 10, he is a very lazy 9 in the Berbartov mold, though not nearly as credible - we have a 10, one of the brightest young talents around. I sure as hell do not want to see Michu in that spot.

I agree about the injuries and said as much above.

Agree with your second paragraph, but most people will be a step down to Suarez.

Disagree with your last sentence, we buy the right player for our needs. I think they are better options than Higuain.

If he comes he just gives us problems, as do we play him or Sturridge? I'd like to see someone come who can play with Sturridge, be it wide or as the number 10.

Sturridge needs to stay central, as that is where he is best and he was really effective and productive last season for us.

Higuain is like Carroll and Allen, good player - wrong club (when I say wrong club, not the player we need at the time).

Its a good problem though isn't it? If we go into the season with Sturridge as our no.1 forward then we are gambling all our chances of getting into the top 4 on an erratic, injury prone player suddenly developing and maturing into a top class forward over pre season in which he'll hardly play as he's currently injured. He needs competition and someone to share in the goals with him, as he won't score or perform consistently enough over the season at the moment, he's got a lot of learning to do.

And cmon, look at their respective records, you can't compare 2 players like Allen & Carroll to Higuain! If we signed him we'd be guaranteed goals & performances.

You want the gold - ...whispers do it.

Amigo, Michu is not a 10, he is a very lazy 9 in the Berbartov mold, though not nearly as credible - we have a 10, one of the brightest young talents around. I sure as hell do not want to see Michu in that spot.

I don't want to go gold.

Well how come he played in the number 10 / attacking midfield role last season for Swansea then? He wasn't only used upfront.

The great thing about Coutinho is he is boss wide or central. If we can get a wide player who can also play upfront then that would be ideal. An Eto'o type, but I can't think of many available.

I just don't want to see us buy another striker and then that player or Sturridge has to be on the bench and we still have weak wide players for example. Would make much more sense IMO to get someone who can play more than one position, like Suarez does. We never really got the balance right with Coutinho, Sturridge and Suarez IMO, as both Sturridge and Suarez both wanted to be central. If Higuain comes then we have the same problem. It's not a welcome problem because we could just buy a more suitable player, hence my Michu example, it doesn't have to be him.

Everyone wants a striker who gets one a game. Higuain is not that - but of course I would want him - I don't need to frame wanting a top quality player by denigrating what Sturridge has done. The kid has been on fire since he joined, no matter how you slice it.

I think you would find I was one of the most positive ones to his signing.

Not getting a player like Higuain in because we have Sturridge on our books would be absolutely mad though and it goes along with the thinking that have made us a mid table club where winning means nothing as long as we make money.

If your ambition is to get top 4 you do not go into the season with D.Sturridge as your main source for goals when your midfield does not contribute all that much.

We need a lot better, Sturridge can be great against teams who give away loads of space and play a high line, when he is up against teams who set out to defend he is not very useful at all and it would be madness to see him as our main striker.

Of the 10 league goals Sturridge scored for us, one was a penalty and 7 were from crosses/passes from team mates within 25 yards of the goal. There were only 2 goals (both against Fulham) that were of the type you describe.

Its a good problem though isn't it?

Why bring problems upon yourself.

He's improve the squad, no doubt about it.

But I think other players would be better buys for our needs.

Michu 12/13:

FW (Forward - Centre) 17 games, 7 goals, 1 assist, 6.97 rating

AMC (Attacking Midfielder - Centre) 13 games, 7 goals, 0 assists, 7.15 rating

MC (Midfielder - Centre) 5 games, 4 goals, 1 assists, 7.6 rating

I don't want to go gold.

Well how come he played in the number 10 / attacking midfield role last season for Swansea then? He wasn't only used upfront.

The great thing about Coutinho is he is boss wide or central. If we can get a wide player who can also play upfront then that would be ideal. An Eto'o type, but I can't think of many available.

I just don't want to see us buy another striker and then that player or Sturridge has to be on the bench and we still have weak wide players for example. Would make much more sense IMO to get someone who can play more than one position, like Suarez does. We never really got the balance right with Coutinho, Sturridge and Suarez IMO, as both Sturridge and Suarez both wanted to be central. If Higuain comes then we have the same problem. It's not a welcome problem because we could just buy a more suitable player, hence my Michu example, it doesn't have to be him.

Then stop arguing that Michu is that guy cuz he ain't. Coutinho has more heart, vision and #10 that he leaves in his locker than Michu has ever had on the field. You are arguing a point for the sake of - both on Michu and the gold. Don't deny it any longer, it will just eat away at you.

Not getting a player like Higuain in because we have Sturridge on our books would be absolutely mad though and it goes along with the thinking that have made us a mid table club where winning means nothing as long as we make money.

Agreed - if we can get Higuain we get him, no questions asked.

I always agree with you about showing ambition as a club.

Spending £35 million was showing ambition, but it was the wrong person to compliment Suarez and he just didn't suit our style of football andwas the wrong buy for our needs.

Spending £15 million on Allen is ambition or it was in many peoples eyes (not mine) when we got him. But it was a waste of resources for what we needed at the time, we were already strong in the box to box midfield role and funds needed to go on a striker and DM.

You buy the players your squad needs, not the players who are the biggest names available or that you can attract. United bought Veron, but he was the wrong player and they had to change their formation / team to fit him into the side and it didn't work. They sold Horseface and all their fans assumed they needed another striker, but they didn't their attack was fine as they had Ronaldo, Rooney etc and they bought Carrick, who was what their squad needed as their midfield was weak at the time (it still isn't that strong).

Higuain is a class striker, he'd improve our squad but we could only really play either him or Sturridge, not both together. When we have so much money if Suarez goes, then surely we buy a player who can play with or without Suarez? As we need a match winner to replace Suarez in our first team, with Sturridge also being in the team.

Then stop arguing that Michu is that guy cuz he ain't. Coutinho has more heart, vision and #10 that he leaves in his locker than Michu has ever had on the field. You are arguing a point for the sake of - both on Michu and the gold. Don't deny it any longer, it will just eat away at you.

I'm not arguing for the sake of it, I'm giving my honest opinion.

I honestly don't want to go gold, not missing it at all.

I disagree with you about Michu, I think he's class, but not as good as Coutinho. However Coutinho is great wide or central. Rather have a great team, than just put Coutinho central as that's what's best for him. If that means Coutinho goes wide (which he calls his best position), so be it.

I must admit, I would like to see Coutinho as our number 10 next season. I'd have him in that role most of the time and Henderson playing it when we are against the top sides and need some more energy and to be better defensively helping out Lucas and Gerrard. I don't see the point of signing Eriksen.

Sturridge has played wide more often than central his career. Don't come back with = "Well he forced a move cuz he wanted to play central" either. He is a pro - his game has evolved, he has begun to mature and he will do a job anywhere in the front four if he puts his mind to it. If he doesn't than the last thing I want is him as our only option as the front man. Win-win.

I'm not arguing for the sake of it, I'm giving my honest opinion.

I disagree with you about Michu, I think he's class, but not as good as Coutinho. However Coutinho is great wide or central. Rather have a great team, than just put Coutinho central as that's what's best for him. If that means Coutinho goes wide (which he calls his best position), so be it.

I must admit, I would like to see Coutinho as our number 10 next season. I'd have him in that role most of the time and Henderson playing it when we are against the top sides and need some more energy and to be better defensively helping out Lucas and Gerrard. I don't see the point of signing Eriksen.

Great comment in bold. Same goes for Michu though even moreso. We have already better in that role, so how can you argue against Higuain (who may actually be better than what we have), but suggest we move a pure 10 out wide - who has the potential to be truly world class and the drive to press and tackle, for a poor mans Berbatov?

That part at the beginning ...

Sturridge has played wide more often than central his career. Don't come back with = "Well he forced a move cuz he wanted to play central" either. He is a pro - his game has evolved, he has begun to mature and he will do a job anywhere in the front four if he puts his mind to it. If he doesn't than the last thing I want is him as our only option as the front man. Win-win.

He's played wide, but looks much better central and I said that even before he signed.

I agree we need more options upfront than him, I think we already have a few at the club. I'd sign another option, but the difference between me and you is the player I'd sign will be able to play in another position other than upfront. Like Michu, or Eto'o could or Suarez can.

Sturridge can, but I really hope we don't move him from the central role. He's looked great in that position. Out wide I don't think he's great or anywhere near as effective.

Great comment in bold. Same goes for Michu though even moreso. We have already better in that role, so how can you argue against Higuain (who may actually be better than what we have), but suggest we move a pure 10 out wide - who has the potential to be truly world class and the drive to press and tackle, for a poor mans Berbatov?

That part at the beginning ...

The difference between Eriksen and Michu is Eriksen can't play upfront, he can only play as the attacking midfielder.

If you read what I said, I would ideally buy someone who can play wide and upfront. Not buy Michu and would have Coutinho as our number 10 (sometimes Henderson). But if we can't find that type of player, I'd rather go for someone like Michu over Higuain and put Coutinho wide.

Ayre has spoken

Liverpool MD confirms that Arsenal have made a bid for the Reds' Uruguayan striker Luis Suarez.

Liverpool managing director Ian Ayre has confirmed that the club did indeed reject a transfer bid from Arsenal for Luis Suarez - and that the striker was keen to hear more about their offer.

Ayre began by reiterating that the Reds had no desire to sell their star asset, and that so long as he worked hard for Liverpool he would remain popular with the Kop faithful.

"I don’t think anyone will be against him at this point," Ayre told Bloomberg journalist Tariq Panja.

"He only needs to do what he did last season and everyone will feel he's in the right place and he should carry on getting the support that he deserves and gets from Liverpool.

"Right now we'd love to see Luis put on a Liverpool shirt for this season and beyond and we hope that once he gets back things will settle down,"

Further quotes attributed to Ayre on Panja's Twitter account were more revealing for both Liverpool and Arsenal fans on the Uruguayan's future.

"I've heard him say it would great to have an opportunity to play for Arsenal and likewise Real Madrid," continued Ayre.

"But he certainly hasn't called me up and said he wants to leave.

"We had an offer which is fairly public from Arsenal.

"We said no to that offer, and as far as we're concerned he turns up for training when he's due back. And we'll move forward on that basis.

"We get offers for lots of our players at different times. Unless we get to a situation where that player absolutely doesn't want to be here and we don't want him to be here then that's a different kettle of fish."

Times journalist Tony Barrett quickly weighed in to say that Arsenal had not yet made a second bid - despite reports to the contrary.

I'm not arguing for the sake of it' date=' I'm giving my honest opinion.

I must admit, I would like to see Coutinho as our number 10 next season. I'd have him in that role most of the time and Henderson playing it when we are against the top sides and need some more energy and to be better defensively helping out Lucas and Gerrard. I don't see the point of signing Eriksen.[/quote']

I understand the point you're trying to make, but you've invalidated your own argument with this post.

Sturridge is a very good striker, with tremendous potential, but if i have to choose between him or Higuain up front, it's no contest.

Sturridge can then play either just behind Higuain, or on either side of him and still be quite effective, more so than Downing. And in the event Higuain (should we get him, which is doubtful) doesn't play, Sturridge can then play up front.

Why did you just buy that lad from Sociedad for £34m?

That was mental.

For whatever reason, I really dont think Spain have any idea how good Suarez is.

Ronaldo waltzed into your league and instantly scored a goal a game. Suarez would be just below that level of scoring probably, but he'd tear defences to shreds and scores free kicks, he's just a freak of nature. He's easily worth over £50m, and even then it might be on the light side.

Xabi is crocked he's got what we call pubalgia I think in English it's called sport hernia - basically a chronicle injury that's quite dodgy to heal, and he's off to Real Sociedad once his contract end next summer. We can't afford to risk another season with unfit Alonso(he played all big games last season injured).

Illara's a good signing though not a €32M player but for us is release clause or nothing which is why we buy players from abroad and add to this the fact they are 1 of the 4 clubs in Spain with Athletic Club, Getafe and Real Madrid that don't own any money to the Spanish inland revenue/tax office and are financially stable and we were perfectly set up to get ripped off.

Luis is pure class, phenomenal, but in Spain there won't be a single club that could afford him except us and Barça. We've 5 forwards for 2 starting places Ronaldo, Benzemá, Higuaín, Jesé and Morata, 3 if we assume they all can play across the attack but then Di María count as a forward too so we have to either sell 1 or loan 1 because we have way too many forwards.

We currently have 28 players - 3 must go because only 25 can be registered to be eligible for matches, 2 are the back up keepers Adán and Jesús Fernández, the 3rd will be 1 of Albiol or Kaká probably, Higuaín want to leave but the club is against selling him so probably Morata will be loaned out. Adding another forward is a no go by any stretch of the imagination actually 1 will leave and Benzemá will be starting with Ronaldo.

Sturridge failed to score in 50% of his games for us last season and his record in the PL so far is 1 in 3, his goals directly contributed to us getting 5 points in 14 games.

I agree with you about Higuain being better, he is a fucking monster of a player, but that is some serious twisting of stats Code, even from you. His record for us in the PL is 10 from 14 having joined midseason. That is fucking phenomenal. Quote whatever other stats you like but he was ace for us.

If Suarez is to leave and we could get Higuain in as replacement, I would be delighted. i can't see it happening though.

We've 5 forwards for 2 starting places Ronaldo, Benzemá, Higuaín, Jesé and Morata, 3 if we assume they all can play across the attack but then Di María count as a forward too so we have to either sell 1 or loan 1 because we have way too many forwards.

We currently have 28 players - 3 must go because only 25 can be registered to be eligible for matches, 2 are the back up keepers Adán and Jesús Fernández, the 3rd will be 1 of Albiol or Kaká probably, Higuaín want to leave but the club is against selling him so probably Morata will be loaned out. Adding another forward is a no go by any stretch of the imagination actually 1 will leave and Benzemá will be starting with Ronaldo.

So you really need to sell or loan several forwards before even contemplating signing another forward.

Its strange to think that, as it all point to Suarez leaving, if you believe the media. Shuffling the entire attacking line for an unpredictable world class player does not seem worth it if going by the class already in your ranks.

I wonder..

Maybe we could've attracted a player like Higuain under Rafa's best years, but not anymore. That calibre of player has to be offered CL football, or at least a very realistic chance of it next season ( or 500k plus 100 virgins a week).

Maybe if we were league cup holders, but alas, we failed to reach that milestone.