You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Suarez: Sell or Keep?

WhiskeyJar

Suarez: Keep or Sell?  

308 members have voted

1. 1. Suarez: Keep or Sell?

• Keep him; he is nuts but he is world class and we do not sell world class players.
    • Sell him; he is world class but too much of a nuisance to our club. Time to cash in.
    • Not sure if we should sell him or keep him.

So because Suarez wants to go, we now have a model of selling our best players?

Since 2009 the last season we finished top 4, in fact we finished 2nd, we are consistently selling our best players. Some of them world class.

First Alonso, then Mascherano, then Torres, Meirelis(ok not world class, but one of our finest performers that season), now we are selling Reina and possibly Suarez. We were on the verge of selling Agger too.

Since 2009 the last season we finished top 4' date=' in fact we finished 2nd, we are consistently selling our best players. Some of them world class.

First Alonso, then Mascherano, then Torres, Meirelis(ok not world class, but one of our finest performers that season), now we are selling Reina and possibly Suarez. We were on the verge of selling Agger too.[/quote']

Torrres was no longer world class and Meirelis never was. Who was selling Agger? You are 354% wrong

Alonso, Torres, Mascherano & Meireles all made it clear they wanted to go and wouldn't be swayed. Unless I'm mistaken, Reina & Suarez are still Liverpool players.

And Agger has made it clear he wants to stay.

So I'm not actually sure what point you're trying to make here.

rodgers needs to get inside suarez's head and tell him if real really wanted him, they would have put a mega bid in already and he would already be gone, he is'nt a priority target for them like bale , does he really want to join a club where they could take him or leave him like with owen ?

regarding the club, we have been done over by real many times, the model how not to deal with real, is parry over the owen deal, how you deal with them is how levy dealt with them with modric , i.e show us the cash or go away! sure the player will sulk for a month or so, but then get down to business, and in suarez's case, he does'nt know how to play half hearted, and that potential sulk period, he will be banned anyway! I would tell real any last minute nonsense to get him on the cheap wont work, stump up 40m + before mid july or go away, sure, you can try and unsettle the play in the last week of the transfer window, but he will only sulk for a month or so, which wont effect us much anyway, so show us your money early, or goodbye!

Guest San Don
rodgers needs to get inside suarez's head and tell him if real really wanted him, they would have put a mega bid in already and he would already be gone, he is'nt a priority target for them like bale , does he really want to join a club where they could take him or leave him like with owen ?

regarding the club, we have been done over by real many times, the model how not to deal with real, is parry over the owen deal, how you deal with them is how levy dealt with them with modric , i.e show us the cash or go away! sure the player will sulk for a month or so, but then get down to business, and in suarez's case, he does'nt know how to play half hearted, and that potential sulk period, he will be banned anyway! I would tell real any last minute nonsense to get him on the cheap wont work, stump up 40m + before mid july or go away, sure, you can try and unsettle the play in the last week of the transfer window, but he will only sulk for a month or so, which wont effect us much anyway, so show us your money early, or goodbye!

The way to deal with madrid, as with any club who may want one of your players is dependant on how long a contract the player has left. This is why lots of clubs try and buy players when they are down to the last 1 - 2 years of their contract.

Owen was down to the last 12 months I think. Modric had a good 3 years if I remember right so spurs could afford to say show us the money or fuck off.

LFC have effectively already said that to madrid and anyone else interested in Suarez. He's got 3 years left and the club expect him to see it out. Now that may be for public consumption but it also tells clubs we arent bending over on this.

I dont see how rodgers can get inside suarez's head seeing as he's in Brasil and cant keep his trap shut about real.

Whichever way we look at this, time is running down on Suarez saying all this shit in radio interviews. Sooner or later he has to report back to the club and either hand in a transfer request or button it.

Rodgers latest comments make me think he might actually stay!

I am actually quite impressed with the way the club of a whole appears to be dealing with this and other issues this summer, the Suarez situation had the potential to derail this summer but the clubs official line just seems to be that we'll not comment until something is worth commenting on and have just got on with tying up other deals whilst it seems the fans don't seem as arsed about as you'd expect if you can remember what this place was like when Torres left etc

And not only the Suarez situation but Pepe as well, whilst I don't think he is worth persevering with and risking another season of below par performances it does seem that he has still maintained a high reputation in the game and looks like he/his agent have been trying to engineer a move to Barca, in the past we'd have probably sat back waited the move to happen and be stuck with Brad Jones and get overcharged as people know we're desperate for a first choice, instead it looks like we've gone out and got Mignolet and regardless of what Brendan said to talksport I think we all know he'll be first choice next season and also puts us in a position of strength with regards to selling Pepe, whereas if we hadn't already replaced him before he'd already gone he might have been able to say he'd only leave for Barca, should Barca now not bother with him now Valdes is staying another year and that german kid seemingly joining next season we can say well if you intend on playing this season you'll have to take this offer from Monaco (random example)

seems to me we're playing it right anyway

if suarez goes it'll make rodgers look like he dont know what he;s talking about

No it won't. He hasn't categorically stated that there is no chance that Suarez will leave. He has implied that we want him to stay, but if he is insistent on leaving, he will leave on our terms.

I really value and respect Brendan's ability to navigate through difficult situations/questions in the press. He generally comes across very dignified and fairly percipient, whilst not particularly kissing anybody's arse.

I don't know why I'm posting that in this thread, I guess its tenuously linked to the Suarez posts above.

Guest San Don

No, I think it is the club just setting out they'll play hardball on this and other transfers. Rodgers is saying the club is in control seeing as Suarez has 3 years left on his contract so if madrid or anyone else thinks they can bid less than 40m and get him, they can fuck off.

Since 2009 the last season we finished top 4, in fact we finished 2nd, we are consistently selling our best players. Some of them world class.

First Alonso, then Mascherano, then Torres, Meirelis(ok not world class, but one of our finest performers that season), now we are selling Reina and possibly Suarez. We were on the verge of selling Agger too.

Some of the sales you list were under different owners. Meireles was sold because the manager didn't want him, Torres had a release clause for £50m and it was a good price.

A selling club is not a club that sells players, it is a club that sells players to balance the books.

No, I think it is the club just setting out they'll play hardball on this and other transfers. Rodgers is saying the club is in control seeing as Suarez has 3 years left on his contract so if madrid or anyone else thinks they can bid less than 40m and get him, they can fuck off.

Yeah maybe so, but if we are unwilling to be bullied and Madrid don't match out terms, then he stays.

We can only play the hand we are dealt with. I agree ith you that hitherto we have made a pretty good fist of it with Suarez.

The extent to which we can hold him to his contract, and ignore predatory interest, is wholly down to how prepared Suarez is to stay.

Some players at other clubs have been held to their contracts with little obvious adverse effect, but the power is with the player. A disgruntled player burning £120k a week, not performing on the pitch, and with their fee inevitably waning, is poor business.

I agree, it's looking more and more likely nobody is interested.

He's been very badly advised I feel, I do however have every confidence that he is the sort of player who will continue to give 100% on the pitch.

Unlike that waster Torres.

if suarez goes it'll make rodgers look like he dont know what he;s talking about

How so? Good players hold all the cards, they have for as long as I can remember, players like Suarez stick around for as long as they feel like it, simple as that, I fail to see how him upping sticks could reflect badly on anyone at the club.

I really value and respect Brendan's ability to navigate through difficult situations/questions in the press. He generally comes across very dignified and fairly percipient, whilst not particularly kissing anybody's arse.

I don't know why I'm posting that in this thread, I guess its tenuously linked to the Suarez posts above.

Don't think you could have said this last summer; the number of times he briefed the press on ongoing transfer sagas was embarrassing, but it does seem that he's learned his lesson. No more answering questions about Allen long before we've completed a deal, etc.

All that the club needs to say in public regarding Suarez is that we don't want to sell him and that if he does go it will be on our terms, not his. That is exactly what Brendan has said, and so as you say, he's done well here so far. Long may it continue.