You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Teams who have sold their best player...

Zippy

Think the Nedved team won Serie A twice and got to another Champions League final in the years after Zidane had left.

they would have won the CL had Nedved not been suspended for the final

Juve were a European giant when the sold Zidane which meant they could virtually pick their choice of replacement

Rivaldo leaving Barca.

Ronaldo leaving Barca.

Ronaldinho leaving Barca.

Maradona leaving Barca.

Amazing to think how many world class players they have had and ultimately failed in europe until Messi came along.

They won with it Ronaldinho didnt they? The team Messi came into was also far better.

Arguably they have got better as a team and not reliant on one or two stars anymore.

I don't think they have myself. Besides, I thought we were talking about teams who actually did better in terms of contesting and winning trophies.

The mancs haven't done too badly since losing Ronaldo.

that immediately came to mind, but they never got better did they? sure they on the league but nor CL, would he make a difference vs Barca, doubt it?

Swansea sold Joe Allen - improved

If you want an example of when a successful team sells its best player and really does improve I cant think any better than us selling Rushie in 87 and bringing in Barnes, Beardsley and Aldridge. Now fuck me, if we can do that with (if it ever happens) Suarez cash, then I look forward.

Lets be honest here, we finished 7th with Suarez, next season with Suarez we could push for 4th, however without, are we going to do worse than 6th?

Next season, right now, even with Moyes, everyone will think the top 3 is city, chelsea and united. Then we have Arsenal, who must finally spend big, Spurs with Bale, or with lots of Bale sale cash, 6th is the minimum as I see nothing else in the league.

Atletico when they sold Torres and brought in Forlan, Simao, Garcia and Reyes

Great example as it shows how you can re-structure a whole attack with this kind of money if spent right. I'm hoping that IF he goes that we sign two very good pacy wide players with the money and then we would hopefully have an attack that whilst lacking the genius and star quality of Suarez would overall be much more effective.

and have become better afterwards.

In an attempt to be positive in light of Suarez's likely departure I thought it would be good to try and think of some examples of teams that improved straight after selling their best player or one of their best players.

These are from memory so please excuse any mistakes:

Us after selling Keegan.

Us after selling Rush.

Everton after selling Lineker.

Everton after selling Rooney.

Arguably Juventus after selling Zidane.

Valencia after selling Mendieta.

Dortmund after selling firstly Sahin and secondly Kagawa (Obviously whether they were their best players is open to some debate).

Sure there must be some others?

(PS I recognise that almost all of those teams listed above were in a much stronger position in every way than ourselves but I am just trying to illustrate that hopefully if it does happen and we respond effectively we can still progress.)

Nonsense and Denial.

Arsenal when they lost Henry challenged for the league the season after, think they came fourth the season before.

United sold horseface and bought an uninspiring Carrick - won the league the next year and didn't the two years before.

They sold Fabregas, and still managed to get 4th.

They sold Nasri, and still managed to get 4th.

They sold Van Persie and still managed to get 4th when everyone was saying without him they wouldn't, but they used their money and rebuilt their attack.

Not a bad job, and selling their best players didn't exactly make any difference to them with or without. Just like us with Suarez. We finished 8th, then 7th and next season it will be 6th without him.

This is the thing with Arsenal, they just about manage to tread water (4th) after selling their best players, in a way fair play to them for that but its all so hollow and shows absolutely fuck all ambition.

How are we expected to move up 3/4 places in the league by selling our best players? anyone?

Guest The Big Green Bastard
This is the thing with Arsenal, they just about manage to tread water (4th) after selling their best players, in a way fair play to them for that but its all so hollow and shows absolutely fuck all ambition.

How are we expected to move up 3/4 places in the league by selling our best players? anyone?

Since the ground re-development, Arse have been a selling club to pay the debts on it. Now that the debts are cleared and 60k capacity coming through the turnstiles i would expect them to be a major force within the next 10 years.

They laid the groundwork for success before the recession hit, we missed the boat big time with leech yanks in charge. I've had/have experience of yanks taking over the companies i work for and it isn't pretty what they ultimately end up doing.

They don't give a fuck about us and want to pilfer and profit as much as they can before they sell us on, as long as they fuel their own economy which is the only thing they care about.

Anybody who thinks FSG will invest or build a new stadium is seriously fucking deluded. Greedy yanks that caused the recession are not concerned about other economies as long as they are well off.

Yanks fuck off.

Guest Slim(fast)Shady

Happy days them Barnes,Beardsley and Aldo,but a bit like winning the lottery on a lucky dip getting 3 world class( yes I think it is appropriate to call them that)...chances of getting that lucky again? 14 million to 1!