You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Help!!

I work mostly with non-native English speakers so clichés tend to run wild as they are not recognized as being incredibly annoying. Currently "game-changer" has been picked up as the phrase of choice.

I am desperately struggling for a less irritating synonym that I can encourage them to use. Any ideas

• 1 month later...

Help!!

I work mostly with non-native English speakers so clichés tend to run wild as they are not recognized as being incredibly annoying. Currently "game-changer" has been picked up as the phrase of choice.

I am desperately struggling for a less irritating synonym that I can encourage them to use. Any ideas

How about "grouse converter"?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Aphorism

1. A tersely phrased statement of a truth or opinion; an adage.
2. A brief statement of a principle.

Citadel.

1. (Military / Fortifications) a stronghold within or close to a city
2. any strongly fortified building or place of safety; refuge

Fingerspitzengefühl

Fingerspitzengefühl [ˈfɪŋɐˌʃpɪtsənɡəˌfyːl] is a German term, literally meaning "finger tips feeling" and meaning intuitive flair or instinct, which has been appropriated by the English language as aloanword. In German, it describes a great situational awareness, and the ability to respond most appropriately and tactfully. It can be applied well to diplomats, bearers of bad news, or to describe a superior ability to respond to an escalated situation.

The word is enjoying a second life in the English language in military terminology, where it is used for the stated ability of some military commanders, such as Field-Marshal Erwin Rommel,[1] to maintain with great accuracy in attention to detail an ever-changing operational and tactical situation by maintaining a mental map of the battlefield. In this sense the term is synonymous with the English expression of "keeping one's finger on the pulse". The mental image given is of a military commander who is in such intimate communication with the battlefield that it is as though he has a fingertip on each critical point, expressed in the 18th and 19th centuries as "having a feel for combat"

Tumescence is the quality or state of being tumescent or swollen. Tumescence usually refers to the normal engorgement with blood (vascular congestion) of the erectile tissues, marking sexual excitation and possible readiness for sexual activity. The tumescent sexual organ in men is the penis and in women is the clitorisDetumescence is the reversal of this process, by which blood leaves the erectile tissue, returning to the flaccid state.[1]

Regularly, men who experience erectile dysfunction are given a nocturnal penile tumescence (NPT) test, usually over a three-day period. Such a test detects the presence of an erection occurring during sleep using either (1) a small portable computer connected to two bands placed around the shaft of the penis which records penile tumescence, or (2) a band of paper tape with perforations (like postage stamps) that is fit snugly around the shaft of the penis and will break at the perforations during penile tumescence.

The goal of nocturnal penile tumescence testing is to determine whether a man can experience an erection while sleeping after reporting he is unable to experience an erection while awake. If a man does obtain an erection while sleeping, but cannot obtain one while awake, a psychological cause or a medication side effect is usually suspected. Otherwise, if a man does not obtain an erection in either state, a physiological cause is usually suspected.

---  end of wiki

Been using this word loads.

Guy at my clients place is bro-tier guy.

I use this word often to describe the erectness of my penis.

E.g. 'this makes me tumescent'

• 1 month later...
  • 5 weeks later...

I love words me

prudent (I really like this one)

acting with or showing care and thought for the future.

inebriated

affected by drinking too much alcohol

usuary

the lending of money with an interest charge for its use, especially the lending of money at exorbitant interest rates

simony

the act of paying to receive sacraments or ordination or other position in the hierarchy of a church.

pederast (this is boss for calling people)

an adult male who engages in sexual relationships with pubescent or adolescent males