You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

The English media and Suarez

WhiskeyJar

Also - all of those saying "Why doesn't he just come and say we're shite?! I'd respect him a whole lot more" are a bunch of utter mongs.

The sole reason he's not doing that (if you read the quotes, hes doing his best to talk us up) is to avoid shitting on us and to instead portray us as an attractive destination for talented players. I'd rather not our star play confess to our shitness and his lack of confidence in our future, anybody who would is just frankly weird.

I think a parting of the ways is almost inevitable now. I don't really blame him as such, although I think he could have been more honest about his motivations and intentions. I'll have no bad feelings for him really unless he starts talking shit about the club once he leaves, but I really can't see that happening.

Yep. I'm not defending what Suarez has said but for months we've all been up in arms about the way he's been treated by the media/FA/ref's etc, its been a disgrace much of it - and now the player himself says the same thing - and we're labelling him a turncoat/shithouse/etc. He hasn't said a bad word about the club as far as i've read, he just wants to get as far away from these cunts as possible. His talent deserves to be winning awards/titles/trophies, as much as we deserve a bit of loyalty and reward for sticking by him when he was in the shit. Its the impossible puzzle, how can he stay here in all honesty? Maybe he shouldn't be talking about other clubs, but he's probably just answering questions the interviewer puts to him. Its not like a member of the media to put a spin on an interview is it.

I don't really think he's a turncoat. He's been treated appallingly by the press and has every right to leave to realise his ambitions, and I hope he succeeds wherever he goes (assuming it's abroad). However, I also think he's petulant, egocentric and talks himself into a lot of trouble. The two views aren't mutually exclusive.

Also - all of those saying "Why doesn't he just come and say we're shite?! I'd respect him a whole lot more" are a bunch of utter mongs.

The sole reason he's not doing that (if you read the quotes, hes doing his best to talk us up) is to avoid shitting on us and to instead portray us as an attractive destination for talented players. I'd rather not our star play confess to our shitness and his lack of confidence in our future, anybody who would is just frankly weird.

Let's face it, either way he'd be getting slagged off by sections of our support, he can't win because he wants out.

I personally wish he hadn't give the media the satisfaction of knowing they helped drive him out, but if the alternative is saying LFC aren't good enough for him at this time then I'm glad he didn't go down that route. Out of respect for those who have supported him though he should stop speaking now, otherwise that support and goodwill will disappear.

I don't really think he's a turncoat. He's been treated appallingly by the press and has every right to leave to realise his ambitions, and I hope he succeeds wherever he goes (assuming it's abroad). However, I also think he's petulant, egocentric and talks himself into a lot of trouble. The two views aren't mutually exclusive.

I don't disagree. Suarez undoing is the result of his own misgivings. But the over-the-top bile aimed at him from every corner was only ever going to end one way. While we would all love him to shove the taunts and the criticism down everyone's throats on the pitch, all it would take was one error to bring the ceiling in on him again. The pitchforks were sharpened the minute the Evra farce was put to bed, his scintillating performances put them back in the cupboard for a while, but they were always going to be handed back to the mob the first opportunity they could. Unfortunately the volatile nature of Suarez' personality means a mistake is always around the corner. The media signalled their intent with the 'Disgrace' headlines on the FRONT page of the papers after the biting shite, they wanted him gone from then on, and they made sure he was condemned by anyone with a voice. How realistically did you expect him to handle this type of victimisation? Did Cameron get involved when the rugby player bit someone last week? Did that make the front page of the gutter press? The writing was on the wall from the moment he lost his head in the Chelsea game.

Guest ShoePiss
I don't disagree. Suarez undoing is the result of his own misgivings. But the over-the-top bile aimed at him from every corner was only ever going to end one way. While we would all love him to shove the taunts and the criticism down everyone's throats on the pitch, all it would take was one error to bring the ceiling in on him again. The pitchforks were sharpened the minute the Evra farce was put to bed, his scintillating performances put them back in the cupboard for a while, but they were always going to be handed back to the mob the first opportunity they could. Unfortunately the volatile nature of Suarez' personality means a mistake is always around the corner. The media signalled their intent with the 'Disgrace' headlines on the FRONT page of the papers after the biting shite, they wanted him gone from then on, and they made sure he was condemned by anyone with a voice. How realistically did you expect him to handle this type of victimisation? Did Cameron get involved when the rugby player bit someone last week? Did that make the front page of the gutter press? The writing was on the wall from the moment he lost his head in the Chelsea game.

Yeah it was always going to be this way, every article written about him included "Suarez, who was banned for 8 games for racially abusing Patrice Evra". It never went away, the media made sure of that and cunts up and down the country blindly went along with it in every game he played.

I'd rather he stayed but it does feel inevitable so the main concern for me is getting great players in with the money we receive. I don't have any hard feelings towards the lad. He's neither hero or villain for me, just another (great) player.

I think he was well on his way before he bit Ivanovic. I agree with those who say he's leaving for CL football and all the rest of it. The press haven't helped, but I think he would have left regardless. It's tragic but we're not good enough for him.

Obviously I'm missing an English translation?

I just see an interview on Spanish on YouTube on that twitter link ??

Just search for the name on twitter, if you have it. Here's just a couple of translated bits.

lbceleste ‏@LBCeleste 7h

I am listening to the latest Suarez interview. Will post his answers shortly. #suarez

lbceleste ‏@LBCeleste 7h

Anchor: "Luis, would you like to wear a white Jersey"? Do u see yourself in RM? #suarez

lbceleste ‏@LBCeleste 7h

LS:"I dontknow if I C myself in RM, the only thing I know is that I've a contract. Anyplayer would like 2play 4abig team like RM

lbceleste ‏@LBCeleste 7h

"every player goal is2 play for a top team and RM is up there. But these are all rumors there is nothing firm"

I think he was well on his way before he bit Ivanovic. I agree with those who say he's leaving for CL football and all the rest of it. The press haven't helped, but I think he would have left regardless. It's tragic but we're not good enough for him.

This, when all stripped back, is the crux of the issue. If we had finished 3rd - i think he may have given us another season because i genuinely believe he loves it at LFC, but finishing below Everton when he should be showcasing his talent on Wednesday nights all over Europe, was enough for him to consider his options. The treatment from the media not only made his mind up for him, they packed his case and couriered him his ticket.

More translated bits from lbceleste's timeline (read from top to bottom).

lbceleste ‏@LBCeleste 6h

Anchor: "Luis how do you cope with all the news about transfers etc.. every day you are moving to another team!"

lbceleste ‏@LBCeleste 6h

LS: "last time it was the same...is quite normal ...all these rumors... to this team and that team... is always like this"

lbceleste ‏@LBCeleste 6h

Anchor:" what is it about the EPL that ppl like it so much an players want to be there?

(asked about Ferguson)

lbceleste ‏@LBCeleste 6h

LS "Ferguson reputation is due to his body of work, he was very good for MU... and when he was on the pitch player could fee it"

lbceleste ‏@LBCeleste 5h

Anchor: "Mourinho is at Chelsea now..."

LS: "yeah, he is a great coach, is a big plus 4them, he has show his good influence always"

Rhubarb!

If he came out and said " I gave you 2 1/2 years and 100% but I am not playing CL football and want to go" fair enough

But to say nothing in the UK of the sort and saying he would stay etc etc and every time he sets foot in Uruguay suddenly develop a voice hmmmm

Real haven't even said they want him

He's whoring himself to a club who haven't even said they want him

He's naffed off most supportive fans

You appear different!

Point taken but someone hit the nail on the head for me when they said no matter what he said someone would be pissed off! Maybe I'm of pissed off as players like Stevie and Carra don't come around that often and I know that eventually all players will want to move on as long as we our in the position we are in now! It's hard to swallow but it's where we stand now.

Unless we are in Europe and challenging for cups year after year this is what's going to happen.

Guest San Don

I think the club or rather the owners has only themselves to blame. Any player is going to want to be in with a chance of winning things and Suarez is no different.

The owners fucked up big time at the beginning of the season, fannying around with who to bring in or rather not as it turned out. Suarez knows we are probably two seasons away from CL qualification and that's before he sees who we bring in this window.

The lad could have said 'yeah, we're shit so I want to leave' and I dont really buy it that people would be saying 'oh, he's just being honest.' I resigned myself to his leaving early on in the season. Im not surprised or disappointed what with the way football has gone.

Mega rich tarts throwing hundreds of millions of pounds to turn their club from shiteness to greatness is part and parcel of it all now. FFP wont make a scrap of difference although the club will be able to take the moral high ground on it.

I dont begrudge Suarez leaving if as seems likely he wants to go although I wish he'd keep his gob shut and just tell his agent to get it sorted. The lad gave 120% every game unlike some of his teammates. I just find myself wondering who'll be the next to leave in a couple of years.

If we sell for anything less than £50m then we're fucking pussies especially when bale is being touted for a world record, cavanni £55m etc, etc.

Evra being present and saying he heard Suarez say the word to him multiple times is direct evidence, not circumstantial, because he witnesses the word being spoken and gives evidence of that. Whether his evidence is credible is a seperate issue.

It's only evidence if there is proof to back it up. Dirk Kuyt and Ryan Giggs were in the vicinity of the incident, they heard Luis Suarez say nothing. However Dirk Kuyt heard Patrice Evra call Luis Suarez' sister ''Sucada'' which means ''dirty'' in spanish.

Evra admitted to this.

In a court of law, a person can only be found guilty if there is witnesses. Luis Suarez would likely have been acquitted as the evidence was one word against the other. In other words..circumstantial.

Patrice Evra on the other hand having changed his statement would have been found guilty of contempt of court and branded a liar. Contempt of court carries a prison sentence.

Evra would also have faced bankruptcy when Luis Suarez took civil action for libel,and slander. Civil action would also be taken against both Alex Ferguson and Manchester United.

I dont blame Suarez, but I dont agree with how he is going about it. He is saying good things about the club, the fans, the league- and bad things about how the media treated him. A month ago we were all raving about how the media were cunts to him and it wasnt fair.

He should shut his fucking mouth to be fair, every thing he says is getting blown out of proportion and its his own fault. If he goes to madrid, so be it. I wont begrudge him wanting to play CL football that we cant offer him. If he truly meant what he said about loving the fans well then he will stay for a year and if we dont get top 4 fair enough.

He is one of the best players ever to wear the red shirt, and I hope he stays