You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

The English media and Suarez

WhiskeyJar

I fucking hate the way he has been treated by the whole sport reporting media, journalists and even ITKs.

Yes what he done was wrong, yes he knows it was wrong and yes he has been punished for it.

But that is no reason to literally chase him out of country with pitchforks, whilst labelling him a demon possessed.

The treatment he has received has been unacceptable and if he leaves then he leave because of that, not because he hated LFC, the city, fans or the manager.

He will leave because the press are forcing him to. Yes Real Madrid is a big offer to turn down If it even existed.

Fucking cunts.

Agree with this, other players have done far worse in his time here (Ferdinand, Evans, Mcmanaman, Bale's diving). It's not the scrutiny itself, it's the fact he's singled out as the sole offender and has the likes of the PM commenting on him.

Press are running amok in this country, not just sports journos.

Belligerent, sycophantic, and selfish. The sort who cried in the corner and wrote poetry on their own during the war while the real men fought and sung songs together. Phil McNulty and Henry Winter, two Grade A dipshits on the BBC gravy train, it's embarrassing to watch it unfold every day.

The problem is, Suarez is his own worst enemy. He came to the Prem with a reputation, and he's done nothing to turn that reputation around; the fact is, he's enhanced it.

It will be years of confrontation-less anonymity, at the very least, before the press gets off his back. You give these buggers a reason to shoot, and they shoot from the hip.

If he stays he needs to sort himself out. If he goes, adios. I love him, I really do. He has made me love watching football during these last two dire fucking seasons. But, if he wants to leave, fuck off. Simple as. All sounds like excuses to leave, the way it's being painted at the moment. I'd prefer the truth; Real Madrid are better than us and he deserves to be playing for a team better than ourselves. I don't want to hear any shite. Just shit or get off the pot.

P.S. Having a few days away from this site and coming back has made me realise just how shite it has become. The same old angry nobheads arguing about the same old shite.

luis really needs to stop mouthing off everytime he's back in uruguay. isnt this the 3rd time hes said controversial shit to the press when back home? a bit disrespectful to the club as well.

his performance this season did have the press backing off of him a bit as his talents were what the press were usually talking about, but then he goes off and bites someone.

For someone who says he loves to stir it up and it's part of his game, he's a bit of a sensitive soul isn't he?

Yep. He doesn't read the press, but fuck me when he's back home he can't bloody stop talking to them.

He's been treated badly at times and some reports have been over the top, but he's also very much been the architect of his own downfall too. This time round every little bit of grief he's getting is his fault alone. If you fucking bite someone on the pitch, then what do you expect?

When he bit Ivanovic I actually thought to myself that I was done with him. He could fuck off now as he wasn't worth the trouble. I'd mellowed to an extent, but all this stuff makes me not arsed again.

I want this sorted now. Agree the money, and let him go. We can't have another Torres affair where we're running around last minute trying to replace him and end up buying shite again.

When he bit Ivanovich, I laughed. The media reaction was over the top, naturally, because they survive by sensationalism. But the media isn't what's going to cause Suarez to leave. If/when he does leave us, it will be because he wants to on his terms, not because he's being forced out.

Agree with this, other players have done far worse in his time here (Ferdinand, Evans, Mcmanaman, Bale's diving). It's not the scrutiny itself, it's the fact he's singled out as the sole offender and has the likes of the PM commenting on him.

All of what those players above have done ,rightly deserves condemnation.However, that is a series of events by a series of players.Luis has done the whole range on his own, so that comparison is a bit lame.It's ridiculous to say the English Press are pitchforking him out of the Country.

The best player in England got 2 votes from football writers after that biting incident.

That tells you everything about the media opinion of him.

Its not just based on football.

No, it's also based on biting and hysteria.

If he hadn't bitten Ivanovic he would have easily come in the top 3.

He was starting to get a lot more positive press, albeit with a fair heap of snide still as well. But he was well acknowledged as one of the top players in the league.

He also in the time, did a bit of an obvious dive against Stoke which he got shit for, and then gave an interview a few weeks later saying he'd done it on purpose which stirred the press crap up again.

The press have been hysterical twats but Suarez has hardly been smart.

When he bit Ivanovich, I laughed. The media reaction was over the top, naturally, because they survive by sensationalism. But the media isn't what's going to cause Suarez to leave. If/when he does leave us, it will be because he wants to on his terms, not because he's being forced out.

The best player in England got 2 votes from football writers after that biting incident.

That tells you everything about the media opinion of him.

Its not just based on football.

These two posts are at the heart of the issue.

Suarez is a world class player with a bit of a screw loose, of that there can be no doubt.

But the way the press has treated makes a huge contribution as to wherever he stays or goes, and unfortunately this pressure is not about his football talent or skills; its more of an attack on his character, what makes Suarez the world class player he is.

Its a shame that a top 5 player is treated this way in England.

These two posts are at the heart of the issue.

Suarez is a world class player with a bit of a screw loose, of that there can be no doubt.

But the way the press has treated makes a huge contribution as to wherever he stays or goes, and unfortunately this pressure is not about his football talent or skills; its more of an attack on his character, what makes Suarez the world class player he is.

Its a shame that a top 5 player is treated this way in England.

Do you think if we'd won the league or finished in the top 4 and won a cup he'd be leaving because of this press treatment?

The media is so fucking lazy. It suits them to have a pantomime baddy in the Prem and Luis fits the bill.

If any of them showed half the objectivity illustrated by Dave in "The Kings Last Stand" they may have changed their views on the Evra affair. The bite was out of order but there were no marks (I think he changed his mind half way through the act) and bears comparison with poking an opposing manager in the eye whilst on the sidelines. But isn't a certain someone being welcomed back to Prem with appropriate fanfare?

Luis is till held up as an example of players that dive; I go to most games and have seen him dive only once. Goes down easy, looks for contact, yes, but that's fair game in anyone else. Michael Owen? Gareth Bale has been booked times for this offence yet is double player of the year.

Lazy, hypocritical, introspective twats, the lot of them.

If Luis Suarez played for Sympathy FC aka Manchester United, the media would not be speculating on whether or not he was staying or going.

Because the media haven't been speculating about Rooney for the last month, have they?

Or Ronaldo before that.

Do you think if we'd won the league or finished in the top 4 and won a cup he'd be leaving because of this press treatment?

Its having an affect for sure, so even if we had won something it would still be a major contributing factor to his decision.

Don't forget he has also a family to consider.

Would you stay if you were foreigner in England and was handled in such a way?

I think he wants CL football and I wouldn't blame him. He's in the top 5 of world class players and deserves to be rewarded for his amazing talent. If we were in the CL, he wouldn't leave, regardless of the press (that he doesn't read). The printed press mostly have been feeding off him since he came to England. No question about that. But he decides whether he stays or goes. Not Graeme Souness. Not scumbag Matt Lawton and his frenzied hack friends. None of them.

I hope he stays, but I'd understand if he had greater ambitions than competing for the milk cup next season.