You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

• Replies 395
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The only think he has in common with Ronaldo is his running style/dribbling style. He is raw and all potential at the moment with injury problems.

You're right, definately has a similar style but in terms of talent, it isn't close. Apart from the "using your own eyes" test, Ronaldo won his second world player of the year award when he was 21, Muriel is 22.

I know it is highly improbable' date=' maybe totally unfeasible, but selling Suarez for £50 million and buying - yes - ROONEY - for £30 million. What a piece of business that would be![/quote']

It would be shit business if that's what you mean.

I'd die a bit inside of that balding ginger headed Mr Potato head ever played for us.

And thank fuck he never will

Udinesse survive by having one of the best scouting networks in Europe.They are up there with Porto IMO.They buy youngsters from South America and sell them on.They have two feeder clubs to send players too now in Watford and Granada

I doubt that we will go for an out and out central striker.

we need to, because sturridge has already shown he is prone to short term injuries that mean he will miss a few games next season. if we go into next season having to field borini or ispas as cf for any length of time we can forget top 4.

benteke and michu would be ideal and we could possibly get them.

Am i the only one not entirely enthused by the idea of spending big on Benteke?

I thought we were aiming to have an interchangeable front three' date=' and not build around a target man anymore.[/quote']

You are not. Screams one season wonder at me, just like Carroll, or Cisse, or Ba who hasn't hit the heights of last season.

You are not. Screams one season wonder at me, just like Carroll, or Cisse, or Ba who hasn't hit the heights of last season.

It would also be such a lazy purchase. We shouldn't be looking (and I doubt we are) at Benteke for £20m/£25m, or whatever he'll cost, we should be looking in Belgium (and elsewhere, like Spain - with Aspas) and spending the £7m he cost.

He isn't three times the player he was 12/18 months, but he'll cost three times as much because he's had a season in England.

Am i the only one not entirely enthused by the idea of spending big on Benteke?

I thought we were aiming to have an interchangeable front three' date=' and not build around a target man anymore.[/quote']

Not at all.

I don't think he's terrible, but he's not worth the ridiculous fees that are being discussed for him, either. Sometimes I completely fail to understand how clubs come to a valuation of a player. What makes Benteke worth £20 million plus? He's a good player but it seems well over the top, to me. I'd put his value in the Andy Carroll vicinity, and I thought we did very well to get £15 million for him.

Another one I don't really get is Jovetic. Good player, but not great. Why is he worth (reportedly) £25 million? For that amount (maybe a bit more) you could probably get Lamela, who in my opinion will be twice as good within 2 years.

Not at all.

I don't think he's terrible' date=' but he's not worth the ridiculous fees that are being discussed for him, either. Sometimes I completely fail to understand how clubs come to a valuation of a player. What makes Benteke worth £20 million plus? He's a good player but it seems well over the top, to me. I'd put his value in the Andy Carroll vicinity, and I thought we did very well to get £15 million for him.

Another one I don't really get is Jovetic. Good player, but not great. Why is he worth (reportedly) £25 million? For that amount (maybe a bit more) you could probably get Lamela, who in my opinion will be twice as good within 2 years.[/quote']

How old is Jovetic now?

Would a team still be paying for "potential"?

That could possibly be the reasoning behind Bentekes price, but still not worth it if you're looking to build a mobile team with interchangeable forward players

It would also be such a lazy purchase. We shouldn't be looking (and I doubt we are) at Benteke for £20m/£25m' date=' or whatever he'll cost, we should be looking in Belgium (and elsewhere, like Spain - with Aspas) and spending the £7m he cost.

He isn't three times the player he was 12/18 months, but he'll cost three times as much because he's had a season in England.[/quote']

Agreed. Look, his ability to hold the ball up, aerial ability and cracking shot seemed to be top notch this season, but we don't seem to be setting our team up to play with a target man, and I'm skeptical about players that have had one amazing season... Especially in a team set up to play that way.

I really don't think the money will be spent on a striker, I think it will be a wide forward, or a number 10.

Who do you think he'll go with if Sturridge gets injured, loses form or needs resting?

Even if we play with one striker we need at least 3 out and out goalscorers. Sturridge can be first or second choice and Borini third choice but if we don't get in another striker then we're in exactly the same position as when we started last season which was a disaster.

We only picked up once we had options in attack

Who do you think he'll go with if Sturridge gets injured, loses form or needs resting?

Even if we play with one striker we need at least 3 out and out goalscorers. Sturridge can be first or second choice and Borini third choice but if we don't get in another striker then we're in exactly the same position as when we started last season which was a disaster.

We only picked up once we had options in attack

He'll have Aspas and Borini as back up, for the one position. We are not in the position of having a £12m striker as back up - they need to be in the first team if we are spending that money, as with Crouch it is part of the evolution of the squad - Muriel (haven't seen), Mkhitaryan or Eriksen will provide more long term and if they get us in the champions league then we can look at having a better squad player.

I'd rather spend big money on Mkhitaryan with a view to him giving us 10-15 goals a season, than cover for Sturridge. I think we need another player, i'm actually quite excited about a front 4 of Coutinhio, Sturridge, Atsu (or Tello if not him), and Mkhitaryan (although my preference is for Muniain). I think that has balance and goals, with players like Borini, Aspas, Alberto, Sterling as cover.

We aren't in Europe so Sturridge should be fine, Borini/Yesil for the League cup, and Borini, Aspas covering for Sturridge. If we are scoring across the front 4 it won't be a problem.

Edited by Whelan