You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

after torres and suarez (maybe coutinho in a couple years) , can the small minority who still knock gerrard over the chelsea thing finally realise what rare and special breed of player our skipper really is, the way modern football is going we wont see many more of his kind again. He has'nt got much longer left, so rather than throwing ourselves at the lastest fly by night merchant we sign, can we give our adulation to somebody who actually deserves it while we still can.

• Replies 395
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Unfortunately, the only way to stop our best players leaving is to be owned by a Billionaire.

Nah.

Bayern Munich. Debt-free, owned mostly by fans, sustainable and wealthy club which capitalises its fanbase to the maximum (e.g. sponsorships).

I think whoever raised the issue of Iberian / South American players vs Northern European players has a fair point.

There are significant cultural differences and language barriers that affect not only the player, but their wives and children too. Let along the damn weather. There's distance too - which over time becomes more and more of a chore to them.

That's not to say ALL players will want to leave, but 'on balance' I think the aforementioned factors all start to accumulate and a player starts wanting to get closer to home (either physically, or at least emotionally to Spain or South America).

Scandinavians and other Northern Europeans generally have a strong grasp of the language, are used to the weather, and don't see England as a culture shock, and of course, it's closer to home too.

For 90% of footballers, they are working away from home and it's always a 'pull' away from their preferred environment. Once in a while a player will truly settle in a new location, and never move home... but most don't. They go back to their roots... remember, many have retired by their mid 30s and they are still fairly immature in terms of coping with life after football. So 'going home' is fairly understandable.

A player can LOVE playing for Liverpool.... think the fans are great, love the city and the people (just like any of us could love a new job in London, or Rome etc)... but eventually, the cold winter nights, no wife and kids, and a bunch of hangers on pretending to be your mates will wear thin.... a nagging (but missed) wife on the phone telling you she'd be a lot happier if you moved to Spain where she could settle too... and the kids could keep their native language skills refreshed etc will all end up in a player fancying a move.

It's what people do in real life. Footballers are no different.

I think whoever raised the issue of Iberian / South American players vs Northern European players has a fair point........It's what people do in real life. Footballers are no different.

A good post in full.

Of course it is possible for anyone to settle anywhere and succeed, but you can play the percentages to increase your chances of a player settling.

AA was nororiously left like a fish out of water, and the same appears to be happening to Borini. Dirk was vital in helping Suarez to settle via the Ajax connection.

Mcmanaman let his contract run down to ensure a move to Madrid, Owen did much the same. They looked after themselves, which is fine, but lets not pretend it was anything else.

If I played for any other club than Livepool, I would spend 4 years in one country, and 4 in another, and pretty much make sure that I move on a free each time.

If those are 2 or 3 of their best years and then we sell them? I'd take Benz or Higuain if they score 80-90 goals for us in 3 seasons.. Who would you buy to make the team stronger?

I don't mind players like that who are part of a greater team, but to lose the 'focal point' of your team every couple of seasons is just pulling teeth.

I know it's a tired old cliché, the but the star of the show has to be the system, and the manager, and all parts below them are replaceable.

I think Germany is the place to shop primarily, they got their house in order after the 5-1 drubbing by England and it's now crawling with talented lads with a real spirit to win.

As good as Suarez is, and Messi is, you need only look at Bayern to see that you don't need a brilliant talent to be the best. Robben is pacy as fuck like, but he's no Suarez. This is the model for success. Hard work, intelligence, pace and power. If, by chance, you aquire a player like Suarez, then that's great. But the world doesn't fall apart if you lose him, if anything, it can strengthen you as the players take a shared responsibility.

Sturridge, Coutinho, Borini, these lads can hurt teams. Now with Aspas and a couple more, we can really sort out a dangerous team with real depth, who aren't lost when without a maverick like Suarez.

If we buy Eriksen, and then Atsu, Aspas and perhaps Benteke, then we're bursting with goals, and anything can happen. The midfield of Gerrard, Henderson, Lucas and Allen is as solid as anything out there. Then Papadopoulos and Toure can only be positives in forcing our game on teams and playing a higher line. We'll just be a mobile fucking unit, punching holes in teams with counters, but able to retain the ball for long periods as well if necessary, and everyone moving up and down in unison. IF Rodgers and the scouting team gets this right.

Nah.

Bayern Munich. Debt-free, owned mostly by fans, sustainable and wealthy club which capitalises its fanbase to the maximum (e.g. sponsorships).

It's an impressive club, but it's working in a totally different environment than Liverpool.

German football is governed very differently (some would say better, some would say not), and they are better able to milk a large fanbase thanks to less teams in Germany and a higher population.

The government supports them with suitable infrastructure too... something Liverpool have never been blessed with.

I think you're right to hold it up as a great example of a club doing very well, and a seemingly solid future, but it's just hard to match them if you're working to a different rule book.

It's the same in Spain, where Barca and Real are creaming all the TV rights, AND getting plenty of 'special financial help' along the way.

A good post in full.

Of course it is possible for anyone to settle anywhere and succeed, but you can play the percentages to increase your chances of a player settling.

AA was nororiously left like a fish out of water, and the same appears to be happening to Borini. Dirk was vital in helping Suarez to settle via the Ajax connection.

Dirk told you that did he?

It's a deal, it's a steal, it's the sale of the fucking century!

Hasn't Higuain signed for Juventus?

I'd take the £50m and bite their fucking hands off. Unless Comoli has started working for Real I think the Higuain bit is a non starter.

A good post in full.

Ajax connection?

What connection did Dirk have to Ajax