You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

If Suarez wants out I would take the 40 mil (release clause) and spend it on the best central midfielder and winger we can lay our hands on and then play Coutinho behind Sturridge. So we lose 'some' fire power up front but become ridiculously strong through the middle and wide areas.

True.

But would you be happy going into the season with sturridge and borini as our only two 'center forwards'?

If suarez does leave, we must try and make sure we keep the price 'undisclosed'. This might not actually help, but the last time we had 50mill from a sale, we got twated by newcastle.

• Replies 395
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

£45m, does that include wages?

I'm going to say 'no', just fee.

And I'm changing the rules, I'm going to have many targets, because you don't always get what you want.

(in no order)

Jackson Martinez

Romelu Lukaku

Christian Benteke

Buruk Yilmaz

Stevan Jovetic

Zlatan Ibrahimovic

Cavani would be the safest bet as a Suarez replacement, similar style, similar goalscoring ratio if you compare his record for Napoli in comparison to Suarez at Ajax. But my heart is telling me Jackson Martinez, because i think he's a beast and he's tailor made for the premier league, so either of them two.

Cavani would be the safest bet as a Suarez replacement, similar style, similar goalscoring ratio if you compare his record for Napoli in comparison to Suarez at Ajax. But my heart is telling me Jackson Martinez, because i think he's a beast and he's tailor made for the premier league, so either of them two.

Why would Cavani move to us?

Especially if we'd just sold one of the best players in the world, and strike partner for his national team.

Why would Cavani move to us?

Especially if we'd just sold one of the best players in the world, and strike partner for his national team.

I wouldn't even advocate buying him if i'm being honest, if we did get 50-60 million for Suarez i'd much prefer us spend that money on 3 or 4 players like Papadopoulos, Eriksen, Mertens etc but the thread asked for one player that could replace Suarez, Cavani would have to be high on the list. As far as this argument "why would he come to us?" it's thrown around so often, my question is why not? Falcao is on the verge of signing for a newly promoted ligue 2 side. Maybe he wants to play in the premier league, a new challenge or a big increase in wages. Why do you think he wouldn't move to a team like ours?

I wouldn't even advocate buying him if i'm being honest, if we did get 50-60 million for Suarez i'd much prefer us spend that money on 3 or 4 players like Papadopoulos, Eriksen, Mertens etc but the thread asked for one player that could replace Suarez, Cavani would have to be high on the list. As far as this argument "why would he come to us?" it's thrown around so often, my question is why not? Falcao is on the verge of signing for a newly promoted ligue 2 side. Maybe he wants to play in the premier league, a new challenge or a big increase in wages. Why do you think he wouldn't move to a team like ours?

Because we don't have European football, or the ability to pay him £250k p/w.

I'd bring back rafa, tell FSG to fuck themselves and their sensible moneyball transfer policy and I'd sign queresma on a free.

Ah, you mean the bring back Rafa go fuck yourselves FSG does Queresma deserve a season the way forward summer 2013 transfer Reina to Barca (hypothetically) know your role and shut your mouth Carroll V Torres approach?

Here's the deal.

I reckon there's around an 83% chance that Suarez is still with us next season, however this thread isn't for arguing the merits of keeping or selling Luis or even if he would want to leave. It isn't for stating the amount of money that we should consider accepting for Suarez. It is not intended for rants against FSG and/or Rodgers for not understanding football if they even countenance the sale of Suarez.

It is for purely hypothetical suggestions of who could replace Suarez were we to sell him.

He's more of the deal - this thread isn't for people saying "I'd also sell Downing, Shelvey, Allen and Assaidi and spend the money on two strikers and a defensive midfielder." No. Here's the proposition:

You are Brendan Rodgers. You have a picture of yourself in your front hall and a strange hybrid Northern Irish/Scottish accent. You also have Code72's dream job of managing Liverpool. You have just received £45 million and want to spend it on a single player to replace Luis Suarez in the Liverpool front line. Bear in mind the reality of this situation, the cash to spend, the wages to offer (~ £120k/week) and the lure of the club. Who are you buying?

Not sure if I've read you right here. Presumably you're not suggesting we'd spend the whole lot on one striker? Because no player who's remotely worth that kind of money will come to us if we can't offer them European football.

Not sure if I've read you right here. Presumably you're not suggesting we'd spend the whole lot on one striker? Because no player who's remotely worth that kind of money will come to us if we can't offer them European football.

The hypothetical Suarez replacement thread