You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Tiger attack zoo worker dies

A zoo worker who was attacked by a tiger has died of her injuries.

Sarah McClay, 24, was attacked by a Sumatran tiger in an enclosure at South Lakes Wild Animal Park, near Dalton-in-Furness, Cumbria, on Friday.

She died at Royal Preston Hospital where she had been taken suffering from head and neck injuries.

David Gill, the park's owner, told BBC Radio 5 live there was "no reason" for Ms McClay to be in the enclosure with the tigers.

He said she was a "very experienced" staff member who had worked with big cats and was "proficient and passionate" at her job, but staff should have no direct contact with the tigers.

'Bubbly and happy'

Mr Gill said: "We have very strict protocols and procedures for working with big cats, but it seems she failed to follow correct procedures.

"For inexplicable reasons she opened a door and walked into the enclosure.

"We will never know why she entered without telling anyone. There was no reason for her to go in there."

Mr Gill described Ms McClay as a "bubbly, happy girl" and described her death as a "tragedy for her family and all the staff".

He said the attack happened at about 16:00 BST on Friday and he believed it was witnessed by one member of the public.

The park was closed early and all visitors evacuated from the area, but following discussions with investigators and staff a decision had been made to reopen as usual on Saturday.

Mr Gill said: "The public were not at risk and we followed all our accident procedures to the letter.

"We had a meeting of all staff at 5.30pm and asked what they wanted. There was a huge consensus of opinion that we carry on.

"It would not do any good to close the park as there is no safety issue."

He said the Sumatran tiger, which has lived at the park for 10 years since it was a cub, would not be destroyed.

"He didn't do anything wrong. He's a tiger and his natural instinct is to kill. We all know that and that's why all the protocols are in place.

"He didn't make a mistake, he was just there. We don't blame him for what happened."

The attack is being investigated by Cumbria Police and Barrow Borough Council.

Ms McClay's family were "very shocked and distressed", officers said.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I thought this. What a grim way to go about it. Surely there'd be more peaceful ways of ending it all.

Death by tiger.

Painless? No. Clean? No. Awesome? Very, very, awesome.

If anyone is planning to kill themselves by tiger, let me know please so I can come and watch. Fucking brutal.

Just looking at my cat now and saying to him 'you are related to tigers, you know?' but he's just licking his ball-less sack and making daft noises.

Having a cat is like living with a time-bomb. I reckon if his feral nature took hold and he attacked me, I could take him as long as it is a fair 1-on-1, no shithouse moves.

Just looking at my cat now and saying to him 'you are related to tigers' date=' you know?' but he's just licking his ball-less sack and making daft noises.

Having a cat is like living with a time-bomb. I reckon if his feral nature took hold and he attacked me, I could take him as long as it is a fair 1-on-1, no shithouse moves.[/quote']

Cats are shithouse sneaky bastards. You wouldn't stand a chance. Don't antagonise the little bastard.