Quantcast
Springsteen - The River - Page 9 - GF - General Forum - The Liverpool Way Jump to content
Barry Wom

Springsteen - The River

Those dates could not be worse for me. So San Sebastian or brooklyn it is.

Going to Wembley one and probably the Ethiad 

Well pissed off there are no concerts and its fucking stadiums again.  Sound at Wembley was shocking last time

I guess these days if you want see him in smaller venues its a case of going to the States

Just stumped up for a hotel Wembley package. Going with my old dear for her 60th, staying in the Wembley holiday inn which is about 2 minutes away from the ground. Now need to bag some Coventry tickets tomorrow..

Been listening to this flat out since I got tickets for the sunday show at croke park.

knew hungry heart and the river but really like the rock n roll numbers like crush on you, out on the street, two hearts, cadillac ranch, im a rocker. Love the first 2 songs the tie that binds and sherry darling as well.

I prefer the earlier stuff like blinded by the light and rosalita. Never really heard anyone cram in so many lyrics. There doesnt seem to be enough music in the verses for all the words and its not just 4 lines that rhyme every other line.

He became a bit like that with the album the river I think but it still has classic boss moments of words and music not least in the river itself

Setlist from Tuesday in Dallas.

Meet Me in the City
The Ties That Bind
Sherry Darling
Jackson Cage
Two Hearts
Independence Day
Hungry Heart
Out in the Street
Crush On You
You Can Look (But You Better Not Touch)
I Wanna Marry You
The River
Point Blank
Cadillac Ranch
I'm a Rocker
Fade Away
Stolen Car
Ramrod
The Price You Pay
Drive All Night
Wreck on the Highway
Badlands
The Promised Land
Backstreets
Because the Night
The Rising
Thunder Road
Born to Run
Dancing in the Dark
Rosalita (Come Out Tonight)
Tenth Avenue Freeze-out
Shout
Bobby Jean

No real surprises but I loved listening him talking about why he wrote the River and what it means to people then and now.

• Upvote 3

Chris Evans is auctioning off two tickets to see Bruce on broadway and meet him backstage for children in need. Another two tickets will go to lottery winners. Think it's £10 per entry.

After High hopes I wasn’t sure Bruce had another great album in him. Wrong. Loving Western stars even more after every listen. Probably my favourite at the moment.

Its grown on me over the last week now I've listened to it half a dozen times. Tuscon train is my favourite.

The Sleepy Joe's Cafe thing is the only bum track imo.  Pretty good effort imo 8/10

29 minutes ago, El Diego said:

After High hopes I wasn’t sure Bruce had another great album in him. Wrong. Loving Western stars even more after every listen. Probably my favourite at the moment.

I always felt high hopes was a Tom morello distraction album. He had someone around him who he was feeding off for a little while and it resulted in high hopes being released. 

As for Western stars, I think a true return to form. I've been a little surprised by some of the reviews, talking like it's something way out of Bruce's normal style, but for me it's 100% Bruce, the songs and lyrics are what you'd expect, just the arrangement is a little more Phil Spector than we'd be used to. But I could hear that album with some of the more orchestral moments being replaced by some of the E Street band and it strangely feels to me Clarence would have had a field day with some of these tracks. 

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, Barry Wom said:

I always felt high hopes was a Tom morello distraction album. He had someone around him who he was feeding off for a little while and it resulted in high hopes being released. 

As for Western stars, I think a true return to form. I've been a little surprised by some of the reviews, talking like it's something way out of Bruce's normal style, but for me it's 100% Bruce, the songs and lyrics are what you'd expect, just the arrangement is a little more Phil Spector than we'd be used to. But I could hear that album with some of the more orchestral moments being replaced by some of the E Street band and it strangely feels to me Clarence would have had a field day with some of these tracks. 

Totally agree.  It's surprised me how "big" this album is - very cinematic with the sweeping strings. Don't go much on Miracle and 1-2 others but overall it's much stronger than I thought it would be. Western Stars is the next great Springsteen song.  I don't even mind Sleepy Joe's Cafe - it's sort of growing on me.  It's an album of character studies, I reckon.

Jon Stewart said it best - you put on Springsteen's music and you never again felt like a loser. When you listen to Bruce’s music, you aren’t a loser. You are a character in an epic poem about...er...losers.

• Upvote 2