You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Springsteen - The River

Those dates could not be worse for me. So San Sebastian or brooklyn it is.

Going to Wembley one and probably the Ethiad 

Well pissed off there are no concerts and its fucking stadiums again.  Sound at Wembley was shocking last time

I guess these days if you want see him in smaller venues its a case of going to the States

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Been listening to this flat out since I got tickets for the sunday show at croke park.

knew hungry heart and the river but really like the rock n roll numbers like crush on you, out on the street, two hearts, cadillac ranch, im a rocker. Love the first 2 songs the tie that binds and sherry darling as well.

I prefer the earlier stuff like blinded by the light and rosalita. Never really heard anyone cram in so many lyrics. There doesnt seem to be enough music in the verses for all the words and its not just 4 lines that rhyme every other line.

He became a bit like that with the album the river I think but it still has classic boss moments of words and music not least in the river itself

Setlist from Tuesday in Dallas.

Meet Me in the City
The Ties That Bind
Sherry Darling
Jackson Cage
Two Hearts
Independence Day
Hungry Heart
Out in the Street
Crush On You
You Can Look (But You Better Not Touch)
I Wanna Marry You
The River
Point Blank
Cadillac Ranch
I'm a Rocker
Fade Away
Stolen Car
Ramrod
The Price You Pay
Drive All Night
Wreck on the Highway
Badlands
The Promised Land
Backstreets
Because the Night
The Rising
Thunder Road
Born to Run
Dancing in the Dark
Rosalita (Come Out Tonight)
Tenth Avenue Freeze-out
Shout
Bobby Jean

No real surprises but I loved listening him talking about why he wrote the River and what it means to people then and now.

• Upvote 3

• 2 years later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
29 minutes ago, El Diego said:

After High hopes I wasn’t sure Bruce had another great album in him. Wrong. Loving Western stars even more after every listen. Probably my favourite at the moment.

I always felt high hopes was a Tom morello distraction album. He had someone around him who he was feeding off for a little while and it resulted in high hopes being released. 

As for Western stars, I think a true return to form. I've been a little surprised by some of the reviews, talking like it's something way out of Bruce's normal style, but for me it's 100% Bruce, the songs and lyrics are what you'd expect, just the arrangement is a little more Phil Spector than we'd be used to. But I could hear that album with some of the more orchestral moments being replaced by some of the E Street band and it strangely feels to me Clarence would have had a field day with some of these tracks. 

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, Barry Wom said:

I always felt high hopes was a Tom morello distraction album. He had someone around him who he was feeding off for a little while and it resulted in high hopes being released. 

As for Western stars, I think a true return to form. I've been a little surprised by some of the reviews, talking like it's something way out of Bruce's normal style, but for me it's 100% Bruce, the songs and lyrics are what you'd expect, just the arrangement is a little more Phil Spector than we'd be used to. But I could hear that album with some of the more orchestral moments being replaced by some of the E Street band and it strangely feels to me Clarence would have had a field day with some of these tracks. 

Totally agree.  It's surprised me how "big" this album is - very cinematic with the sweeping strings. Don't go much on Miracle and 1-2 others but overall it's much stronger than I thought it would be. Western Stars is the next great Springsteen song.  I don't even mind Sleepy Joe's Cafe - it's sort of growing on me.  It's an album of character studies, I reckon.

Jon Stewart said it best - you put on Springsteen's music and you never again felt like a loser. When you listen to Bruce’s music, you aren’t a loser. You are a character in an epic poem about...er...losers.

• Upvote 2

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...