You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

House fixy-uppy shit

Stu Monty

10 hours ago, Colonel Kurtz said:

This is the finished work. I had my doubts at first but it’s better than I thought it was going to be.  I’m pretty sure we are the only house in our neighbourhood to have a mural so that’s something. 

74ABCE83-69F4-4AE1-AFE0-3495F5955E77.jpeg

The poppies, looking like something out of a Stephen King movie, juxtaposed against an unnaturally blue sky gives the effect of something disturbing bubbling under the surface at your home. Not got any bodies hidden in the garage have you?

7 minutes ago, skend04 said:

The poppies, looking like something out of a Stephen King movie, juxtaposed against an unnaturally blue sky gives the effect of something disturbing bubbling under the surface at your home. Not got any bodies hidden in the garage have you?

Those poppies will give small children nightmares.

I’m hoping there’s another entrance to the park so they don’t need to go past your scary picture to get there

11 hours ago, Colonel Kurtz said:

This is the finished work. I had my doubts at first but it’s better than I thought it was going to be.  I’m pretty sure we are the only house in our neighbourhood to have a mural so that’s something. 

74ABCE83-69F4-4AE1-AFE0-3495F5955E77.jpeg

Did she get her inspiration from Windows XP ?

• Upvote 4

1 hour ago, Champ said:

There’s something a bit disturbing about those poppies…aside from the emblazoning of the side of your garage with an in your face glorification of war themed mural.

Edit. I’ve now decided you’re just trolling us

Yep.

'Hey minister,what about those 5,000 jobs lost and that NHS hospital closing down in your constituency?'

'Errrm,oh look at my pretty mural and Union Jack.'

2 hours ago, skend04 said:

Monet did poppies much better

IMG_20210528_181805.jpg

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Champ said:

There’s something a bit disturbing about those poppies…aside from the emblazoning of the side of your garage with an in your face glorification of war themed mural.

Edit. I’ve now decided you’re just trolling us

A field a poppies is a glorification of war? Really?

20 minutes ago, A Red said:

A field a poppies is a glorification of war? Really?

The Remembrance industry has hijacked the poppy, in my mind at least, to the point that I can no longer separate the 2 things

• Upvote 1

On 26/05/2021 at 16:12, Trumo said:

it came it just shy of £2000.

I don't know if I've overpaid or not because I find that most people lie through their teeth about how much they've paid to have work done.

Well,Dad was quoted £4000 (plus extras when the work was done) by Wickes in March 2020.That was to have the  bath removed and a enclosed shower fitted along with a new sink,as well as new tiling,fittings etc,He didn't proceed with it.

On 28/05/2021 at 13:42, Champ said:

The Remembrance industry has hijacked the poppy, in my mind at least, to the point that I can no longer separate the 2 things

James McClean over here. 

You’re spot on of course. Fuck the war 

• Upvote 1

On 26/05/2021 at 17:03, Moo said:

Thanks for the reply.

Yeah three times I've asked but basically they're refusing or extremely reluctant to quote specifics, adamant that everything they have quoted for will need doing including some level of wall repair or re-plastering, despite earlier suggesting it was just a maybe.  Not impressed as this was not my experience with them last time.

They're currently very in demand, as are many trades at the moment, so starting to feel like the job is not big enough for them.  Real shame when you lose faith in someone you've used before.

(I need to learn how to multi-quote)

I have two basic rules as far as tradespeople are concerned, 1: if they won't break down their costs tell them to fuck off and 2: if they don't turn up to do the quote at the time fuck them off as that proves they won't turn up on time for the job either.

The problem is that rules out about 99.999999999999999999999999% of all tradespeople as they are all useless gobshites. 

• 4 weeks later...

Fuck's sake, garage doors, they do my fucking head in. So both garage doors need a tidy up. There those 'cheap' galvanised up and over things. Thought about getting them replaced with those manual roller types but the cunt who came round to give us a price got all arsey when I asked about a discount for doing both so fucked him off.

Anyway, that's another story!

Like all garage doors, there some galvanic rust coming through so thought Id tackle that first. I remember Edd China going on about Kurust so thought I used that. Big mistake!

It works a treat curing rust and goes turns anything it touches, purple when dry. Couple of days later, I splash on some of my Screwfix no nonsense paint onlyto find the Kurust purple shows through. OK, 2 coats then. Nope, still shows through!

Had to get a tin of something called zinnerbins 'stain guard' only that went on looking fucking green! Thankfully, it's dried a kind of off white so hoping the gloss white covers it ok!

Be warned, if you use Hammerite Kurust, it cures the rust but shows through ordinary paint.

• Upvote 1

Brother in Law works two weeks on / two weeks off on the rigs  and remember him getting a call from his eldest lad on his first day back saying his new house had a garage with a bust manual rollershutter on the garage and could he pop round to help.Wasted nearly his whole first week off sweating on it.

• Upvote 1

20 hours ago, sir roger said:

Brother in Law works two weeks on / two weeks off on the rigs  and remember him getting a call from his eldest lad on his first day back saying his new house had a garage with a bust manual rollershutter on the garage and could he pop round to help.Wasted nearly his whole first week off sweating on it.

When the wires on mine went 'twang,' I just got a guy round to replace them. Did such a good job I got him to replace the wires on the other door just in case. Only cost 25 quid each door.

• Upvote 1