You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

House fixy-uppy shit

Stu Monty

Anyone know anything about boilers or central heating? Going to have to get a call out here.

Had one of the radiators not heating at all for a bit. Messaged the lad that installed them to see if he could have a look, but no rush.

Then the hot water went to only being hot when you manually put the boiler on. Now today it won't stay on at all.

Any plumbers with suggestions on the issue or best tip for getting someone out without being fleeced.

Anyone know anything about boilers or central heating? Going to have to get a call out here.

Had one of the radiators not heating at all for a bit. Messaged the lad that installed them to see if he could have a look, but no rush.

Then the hot water went to only being hot when you manually put the boiler on. Now today it won't stay on at all.

Any plumbers with suggestions on the issue or best tip for getting someone out without being fleeced.

If you're in Liverpool I can give you the number of a reasonable, reliable plumber

This is an interesting proposition as I was looking at switching to British gas dual tariff this week. Is a call out free then?

No mate, it's a separate product. About £20 a month without excess but it gives you an annual service and free repairs (inc parts and labour). It's well worth it.

No mate, it's a separate product. About £20 a month without excess but it gives you an annual service and free repairs (inc parts and labour). It's well worth it.

Thats not as much as I was expecting, to be honest, but to my way of thinking it's only a good deal if you dont have a reliable plumber and/or you're anticipating spending over £240 a year on boiler repairs

Thats not as much as I was expecting, to be honest, but to my way of thinking it's only a good deal if you dont have a reliable plumber and/or you're anticipating spending over £240 a year on boiler repairs

It's an insurance product, look at it that way and it's worth it. They generally get out to you within the same day and free parts bit is a god send if you have an older system.

It's an insurance product, look at it that way and it's worth it. They generally get out to you within the same day and free parts bit is a god send if you have an older system.

I know, it sounds like a good deal and maybe we've been lucky but ours really is well past its sell by date but I can't think we've ever spent that much on ours in a year.

• 1 month later...

Since no cunt took the bait and got me a drill for Christmas I impulse bought one from lidl today on one of their offers. Will be putting a curtain pole up once I get some bits so will report back if it does the job

http://www.lidl.co.uk/en/our-offers-2491.htm?action=showDetail&id=29916

You'll get the curtain pole out of it, and that will be that.

Utter shite I'm afraid. You buy cheap, you buy twice!

Noticed a small patch of black mould appearing in the corner of our bedroom ceiling (one corner being the outside wall, the other the adjoining wall to next door)

Just had the roof sorted after a leak so unsure if it's just residue from that.  In between the inevitable arguments with my my missus about the need to leave a window open every now and again ("but it's cold!!!") might get a dehumidifier to take the moisture out of the air.

Does anyone use these and are they successful?

Also isn't owning your house just one problem after another? 

Happy to report we had "a man" round who checked everything out and it's just a cold spot caused by one of the vents in the roof.   One mould treatment and a coat of damp proof paint later it's all sorted. 

On another point we bought a dehumidifier and there's tons of water knocking about our house it seems.  Been running it for an hour or so an evening once the baby has been bathed and the tea has been done etc