You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

House fixy-uppy shit

Stu Monty

Aye, in some rooms.

As I say, it's just a thought at the moment.

I'm not sure what you meant when you said you think 'it'll pay off'.

I dont have them, although you see quite a lot of them about.

1. I can only imagine they'll be hugely more expensive than curtains.

We had full length curtains with blackout linings made for us by John Lewis for our large bedroom last year and were really surprised how not expensive it was. 300 and odd quid and ready and delivered in less than a week.

2. Curtains are cosier in the winter

3. Shutters are a bit of a fashion thing at the minute and may feel dated quite quickly. Who knows, we may all have them in 5 years.

As I say, I cant decide

• Upvote 1

Mook- we've got them in our dining room, living room and bedroom. They are ace, nice and neat, make the room look bigger as there are no curtains. They also keep out lots of light in a morning so I can sleep for longer than 5am in the summer. Like yours ours is a new build.

We used Hilary's as for once there was a sale on...

• Upvote 1

What is it with people that say theyre going to do a job for you, take all the measurements, blah, blah and then just disappear?

We arranged with a bloke doing some work on a major development across the road to replace a window at the side of the house for us. He told me a fortnight a month ago and now he's just disappeared. If he didn't want the job just tell me and I could have got someone who was interested and now I've got to start the whole rigmarole again with someone else. Fucking time wasters

• Upvote 3

We're deciding about what to do with the windows in our new house, we're thinking about getting shutters on a lot of the windows, this might cost a bit more but we're thinking it'll pay off if they never need replacing, plus they look great for keeping the light out.

Does anybody have shutters in their house & if so, any thoughts on them?

The place we're buying has shutters on all the front windows of the house.  Not the most expensive ones but would still have cost loads more than venetians or curtains as they're decent, and the fella said he doesn't want any extra for them.  Kiss my face.

Hope this helps.

• Upvote 1

The place we're buying has shutters on all the front windows of the house. Not the most expensive ones but would still have cost loads more than venetians or curtains as they're decent, and the fella said he doesn't want any extra for them. Kiss my face.

Hope this helps.

I'd call that a result

I always try to get a copy of any particulars - then you really aren't starting from scratch when the first handy spits the bit.

At least on this occasion I'm hoping that the builder who's been doing the garden will be able to sort us out but it's just ignorant letting people down without a word, like that

• 2 weeks later...

We bought a big old run-down 7 bedroomed Victorian house 3 years ago. It's been a labour of love (and hate) and we're just getting to the end of it now. We've tried to do loads of the work ourselves, but it's been a huge job. Everything is so big, it takes a whole morning just to give a door one coat of paint. We've just had an extension built. Previously, there was a square dining room, with a tiny galley kitchen off it. We've had it squared off so it's one big room. They start this the first week in April, when they knocked down the old kitchen. They rigged me up a temporary kitchen for a couple of weeks (ie. A sink, 2 cupboards and a table) but I came home one day and the back wall of the house had fallen off, so it all had to go.

Since then, I've had no kitchen at all. I've had a microwave, kettle and toaster in the living room. I had a plastic stacker box that I had to lug upstairs and put in the bath to wash the dishes. It's been a nightmare. Once the extension was built, we had a joiner build us a kitchen. It's taken months, but it was worth the wait. We'd previously got a quote for a fitted kitchen, which came back as £16K (exc. fitting). It looked a bit shit as well, and wasn't exactly what I wanted, so I asked our joiner to quote for a hand built one. He did it for 6K, it's much better quality, and it looks amazing. I'm made up with it.

20150917-DSC_0312_zpslv1ytubh.jpg

20150917-DSC_0340-4_zpsb2zvxr1a.jpg

20150917-DSC_0340-2_zpsl02iqhff.jpg

20150917-DSC_0348_zpsszldu7bc.jpg

20150917-DSC_0353-2_zpstxtzkdyp.jpg

20150917-DSC_0327_zpscj7aytiq.jpg

• Upvote 9

Thank you. I am pretty proud of myself, which doesn't happen often. Our Dirk came round yesterday and took those pictures, but he'd only photograph one half of the kitchen because he said my microwave was cheap and shitty and it would ruin his shots. Cheeky rat. Men have got a right downer on my ovens!

Thank you. I am pretty proud of myself, which doesn't happen often. Our Dirk came round yesterday and took those pictures, but he'd only photograph one half of the kitchen because he said my microwave was cheap and shitty and it would ruin his shots. Cheeky rat. Men have got a right downer on my ovens!

euphemism?

You've done an amazing job

In fact I'm not sure I praised you enough there, Liz. Our kitchen re-modelling has got us to the formalising the design stage, all relatively painless, but its the detail thats killing me...which type of corner units, what will a 3cm square of worktop/splashback look like in our kitchen, in summer, in winter. And then every time we go back to the showroom he sees something else he wants, the latest being an electric warming drawer. Oh, how I wish the kitchen fairies would just sort it for me...

...I dont really. I'd only complain

Our flat went on the market a year ago next week.

A glacial sale process was followed by a wild west buying process which has been followed by a horrendous exchange process, dogged by threats it would collapse and people would pull out until the very last moment, but it's finally been confirmed and we move next week.

Thank fuck for that, back to normal life soon, albeit with a truckload of things to do and spend money on.

Definitely time for a beer.

• Upvote 3

Our flat went on the market a year ago next week.

A glacial sale process was followed by a wild west buying process which has been followed by a horrendous exchange process, dogged by threats it would collapse and people would pull out until the very last moment, but it's finally been confirmed and we move next week.

Thank fuck for that, back to normal life soon, albeit with a truckload of things to do and spend money on.

Definitely time for a beer.

Or 10! Its actually goung to happen!

I smiled seeing you'd posted as I was just looking at the wooden blinds in our bathroom, not dissimilar to the shutters in your new place, I'm thinking.

Have you agreed who's going to clean the beggars and how