You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

House fixy-uppy shit

Stu Monty

Yeah, that's the one. Mine has gas ovens though, not electric. I regularly cook roast dinners for 10+ people (well, I did when I had a kitchen) and the ovens are plenty big enough for 3 large roasting tins in each. You do have to buy extra shelves though because they only come with 2 shelves in each. It's dead easy to clean, and the big burner is brilliant.

The only negative for me is the grill. There's nothing right with it. It's tiny, it's got no handle on the grill pan, and whenever you even nudge the door (even when not in use) it sets off an industrial-sounding fan that won't stop for about half an hour. Truly maddening. I've turned the electric off at the mains before just to get some peace. Luckily, I'm not much of a griller.

And luckily you aren't as precious as me when it comes to people bad mouthing your cherished possessions....no alternative career for Colin in the diplomatic corps.

So far so good until you got to the grill...and we are pretty regular grillers. Hmmm...

And for the record, I think it looks great!

I absolutely agree with you about oven sizes, C. I'll not be giving mine up for anything smaller so I'll be out with my trusty tape measure when we're looking with intent.

Fear not, mine will look great. And symmetrical. Even my mild OCD couldn't cope with such differing sized ovens as yours. And there'll be a separate grill. And a big gas burner

Yeah, that's the one. Mine has gas ovens though, not electric. I regularly cook roast dinners for 10+ people (well, I did when I had a kitchen) and the ovens are plenty big enough for 3 large roasting tins in each. You do have to buy extra shelves though because they only come with 2 shelves in each. It's dead easy to clean, and the big burner is brilliant.

The only negative for me is the grill. There's nothing right with it. It's tiny, it's got no handle on the grill pan, and whenever you even nudge the door (even when not in use) it sets off an industrial-sounding fan that won't stop for about half an hour. Truly maddening. I've turned the electric off at the mains before just to get some peace. Luckily, I'm not much of a griller.

That was my biggest dilemma and I still don't know if I would swap or not.

And luckily you aren't as precious as me when it comes to people bad mouthing your cherished possessions....no alternative career for Colin in the diplomatic corps.

So far so good until you got to the grill...and we are pretty regular grillers. Hmmm...

And for the record, I think it looks great!

I absolutely agree with you about oven sizes, C. I'll not be giving mine up for anything smaller so I'll be out with my trusty tape measure when we're looking with intent.

Fear not, mine will look great. And symmetrical. Even my mild OCD couldn't cope with such differing sized ovens as yours. And there'll be a separate grill. And a big gas burner

Big factor is what width are you looking at, 90/100/110? As that will have a big impact on your oven sizes?

And you can forget your tape measure, as useful as a chocolate teapot! Read up on all and check the specs of each as oven sizes are still different regardless oven the cooker width.

Mines 'only' a 90cm but I have a 72 litre capacity oven where you can have 90 or 100cm cookers with only a 52 litre oven. It makes a big difference to the point friends have had to replace oven trays as they no longer fit.  

As for looks (I'm sorry Teasmaid) but I just don't like it. in my opinion the Belling and Flavel cookers look cheap when they're anything but. I wouldn't be able to put up with that.

As for you OCD thing look at Stoves, far better looking but more expensive I admit.

Big factor is what width are you looking at, 90/100/110? As that will have a big impact on your oven sizes?

And you can forget your tape measure, as useful as a chocolate teapot! Read up on all and check the specs of each as oven sizes are still different regardless oven the cooker width.

Mines 'only' a 90cm but I have a 72 litre capacity oven where you can have 90 or 100cm cookers with only a 52 litre oven. It makes a big difference to the point friends have had to replace oven trays as they no longer fit.  

As for looks (I'm sorry Teasmaid) but I just don't like it. in my opinion the Belling and Flavel cookers look cheap when they're anything but. I wouldn't be able to put up with that.

As for you OCD thing look at Stoves, far better looking but more expensive I admit.

I was talking about measuring my existing oven capacity. That seems pretty useful to me

Nah, we havent even started on that. The kitchen's on the back burner (see what I did there) while we concentrate on doing external stuff. We're getting various stuff done outside at the moment which means getting recommendations and tracking down multiple tradespeople for all the different jobs, chasing up and then comparing estimates etc and then the niggling that goes on between you about exactly what should be done. Just the usual stuff but it isnt half hard work

Arrgghhh! 3 days into the job and my lovely painter's not showed up. Not answering his phone or text. Is he dead at the side of the road or has he just fancied a lie in???? I do not manage this stuff well

Everyone who's come to my house has come up with a different idea for my ridiculously big shed, from office to workshop to art room to bar to music studio. We've decided on fitting it out as a cinema instead. Going to have to insulate it, source some tip up seats, get a projector up and sort out a screen. Ideally, we want to put the second row on a low platform to raise it slightly, install a motorised curtain and some footlights. Does anybody have any experience of doing a job like this? And no, we won't be showing blueys.

• Upvote 2

Everyone who's come to my house has come up with a different idea for my ridiculously big shed, from office to workshop to art room to bar to music studio. We've decided on fitting it out as a cinema instead. Going to have to insulate it, source some tip up seats, get a projector up and sort out a screen. Ideally, we want to put the second row on a low platform to raise it slightly, install a motorised curtain and some footlights. Does anybody have any experience of doing a job like this? And no, we won't be showing blueys.

Seriously? That sounds amazing! I cant offer any advice but there has to be an online forum for such things. I'd love to see the end results though.

Mr Champ is currently embarking on kitting out his own shed as a bike workshop. He's got plans to jnsulate it and clad it with reclaimed timber etc. We had an electrician round last week to do the electrics and just didnt 'get' the man shed thing. I was trying to explain that the plugs were to go in long thought out places.

Electrician: I'm not being funny but its only a hut.

He had absolutely no idea

• Upvote 1

We got the idea when we were on our way home from the small cinema. The shed's roof has been replaced and it's already wired. First job I'll need to do is soundproof and insulate the walls, then sort out the platform for the rear seating. Wallpapering and carpeting after that. Then it'll be the screen and projector, once I've got the seating in place. I'll have to take my time doing it, though, as I've other jobs that are probably more important than a cinema in the garden.

• Upvote 1

Be interested to hear how you get on, Sut.  The place we're in the process of buying has what sounds like a similar structure out the back - not massive but a decent size and just begging to be put to good use.

After a surprisingly easy first round of negotiations it's been agreed that this will be a pub/sports bar for my use as personal sordid little grief hole when I'm feeling anti-social (7 days a week), and then for some secondary use when all our mutual mates are round.

I've already found a decent place locally who can source me an old 70's bar complete with optics, they just need measurements so it makes the most of the space we have but doesn't dwarf it.  It pretty well just needs insulating other than that as it's already got power in there, got a mate who can do the floor if we decide it needs it, then our existing corner sofa and couple of armchairs are going in as she wants new ones for the lounge, get a projector set-up up with Sky and absolutely not some other means of sourcing football to include the 3pm Saturday games, as that's not just illegal but something which offends my core morals, and we're good to go.  Going to call it The Swan and Tomato.

A friend of a friend was boring the fucking piss out of me about 6 weeks ago at a mate's birthday meal about how he's been brewing his own ale for months/years; completely anal type who's gone to the nth degree on it and never talks about anything else it seems.  All his mates were saying to me when he wasn't there that they hate to admit it, but if you taste test his with a nice four quid plus craft ale out somewhere you wouldn't know which is which, and it costs him pence a pint.

He'll be getting a call from me in due course.  "Can I shock you? I like home-brewing ale."

Good luck anyway mate, look forward to hearing how you crack on with it.

• Upvote 1

Removed the old, rotten fence from between mine and the empty house next door - nearly all replaced, just need to fit one last panel now. The nosy bitch from next door but one has just been poking around out there and ran when I went out to see if she was OK. Fence looks great, though.

• 3 weeks later...

We're deciding about what to do with the windows in our new house, we're thinking about getting shutters on a lot of the windows, this might cost a bit more but we're thinking it'll pay off if they never need replacing, plus they look great for keeping the light out.

Does anybody have shutters in their house & if so, any thoughts on them?

We're deciding about what to do with the windows in our new house, we're thinking about getting shutters on a lot of the windows, this might cost a bit more but we're thinking it'll pay off if they never need replacing, plus they look great for keeping the light out.

Does anybody have shutters in their house & if so, any thoughts on them?

Are you thinking instead of curtains?