You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

House fixy-uppy shit

Stu Monty

Kitchen?

Nah, we havent even started on that. The kitchen's on the back burner (see what I did there) while we concentrate on doing external stuff. We're getting various stuff done outside at the moment which means getting recommendations and tracking down multiple tradespeople for all the different jobs, chasing up and then comparing estimates etc and then the niggling that goes on between you about exactly what should be done. Just the usual stuff but it isnt half hard work

• 2 weeks later...

Freestanding big fuck off cooker advice please

I've got a Belling with 7 burners, 2 ovens and a grill. I love it, and it wasn't too pricey. What I didn't reckon on was the price of an extractor to go above it. That cost a grand, which was more than the cooker.

I've got a Belling with 7 burners, 2 ovens and a grill. I love it, and it wasn't too pricey. What I didn't reckon on was the price of an extractor to go above it. That cost a grand, which was more than the cooker.

Oh. Was there any reason why it was so expensive? *crosses fingers*

*heads off to look into extractors*

Yeah, it had to go into the chimney breast. If it's not in a chimney, and you're just having a normal extractor against a wall, they're much cheaper.

If only you'd said! I reckon We should be all right. It will be going into pretty much the same space currently occupied by our 4 burner hob. I just cant raise the same level of excitement for an extractor as I can a new oven

• Upvote 1

Anyone got any suggestions on the best places for sheds or garden furniture?

The patio and paving are about to be completed and that's the next stage.

They'll be putting the pointing grout down today to finish it off and I'm hoping it was a good call the get a better finish than just concrete.

Guest Super Sub

They'll be putting the pointing grout down today to finish it off and I'm hoping it was a good call the get a better finish than just concrete.

Dobbies will probably be the best followed by B&Q.

I would definitely recommend checking out local companies for sheds. You'll likely get a better price than Dobbies (quality) and better build quality than diy chains.

What kind of garden furniture are you after?

I would definitely recommend checking out local companies for sheds. You'll likely get a better price than Dobbies (quality) and better build quality than diy chains.

What kind of garden furniture are you after?

Tyre swing and a pen for her?

Nah, we're after a tables and chairs set and probably some lounging stuff like those outdoor sofas.

Nah, we're after a tables and chairs set and probably some lounging stuff like those outdoor sofas.

It depends what your style is but for hard wearing, low maintenance metal is great. We got a metal tables and chairs set (M&S) well over 10 years ago, it stays out year round, in Scotland, and still looks almost new. The only care it gets is the occasional wash. They werent expensive either and have been about the best purchase we ever made.

Wood can look great but will inevitably require some tlc, at least.

And you can make your own mind up about plastic.

Garden furniture is definitely one of those things you can pay almost anything for, like indoor furniture really.

If you're on my kind of budget Homebase is always worth a look and there's always a 15% day coming along.

As for your sofa-y kind, I've been looking for new furniture for the bottom of our garden and came across these. I'm pretty sure they're the same as some I saw while we were on holiday and they looked great and were very comfortable

http://www.gardensandhomesdirect.co.uk/garden-furniture/allibert.html

image_4522.jpg

something like this?

http://www.belling.co.uk/products/cooking/range-cookers/classic-100dft/444440388/

Inspired by Colin's post I went into our local Curry's yesterday and saw this or very similar. I'm sold on the 2 ovens and a separate grill. The warming drawer sounds good too. Is this what you've got and if so what are the things you really like about it and are there any not so good aspects?

Go with the outdoor sofa and a chair or two and a small/medium coffee table height table between them.

You won't use a table and chairs if you have this.

something like this?

http://www.belling.co.uk/products/cooking/range-cookers/classic-100dft/444440388/

Inspired by Colin's post I went into our local Curry's yesterday and saw this or very similar. I'm sold on the 2 ovens and a separate grill. The warming drawer sounds good too. Is this what you've got and if so what are the things you really like about it and are there any not so good aspects?

I looked at those, and many others. 

The oven sizes are shit though, actually smaller than a conventional oven.

You can write off cooking on christmas day.

Think carefully, why do you need two small shit ovens? Get one large amazing one and then a smaller one that still useful.

The Smeg I bought has one massive oven and a second where you can have three trays of roast spuds, yorkshires and keep a try of veg warm.