You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

House fixy-uppy shit

Stu Monty

Buying a house which needs work soon. Aside from flooring and decorating I need to get the bathroom tiled. Someone said you can get plastic panelling which is more enduring and cheaper. True facts or bullshit?

Wet wall. We put it in our shower. Far Easier to keep clean than tiles. Brilliant stuff

Buying a house which needs work soon. Aside from flooring and decorating I need to get the bathroom tiled. Someone said you can get plastic panelling which is more enduring and cheaper. True facts or bullshit?

Sorry, negged you by accident, can someone cancel it out and rep please.

Getting people round to give us some quotes for the garden. Looking at getting someone in to level an area big enough to lay a 3.6m x 3.6m patio and a 2m x 2.4m shed next to it and put it in as well as a path from the patio back to the house (with the same paving slabs). Looking at maybe getting them to do the lawn at the same level (as it's all over the place).

Amazing how two people could have a heated disagreement over the size of the borders around the garden but, with the lad on his way this afternoon, that's where me and my darling other half are at right now.

The war over 150mm - it shall echo down the ages.

Getting people round to give us some quotes for the garden. Looking at getting someone in to level an area big enough to lay a 3.6m x 3.6m patio and a 2m x 2.4m shed next to it and put it in as well as a path from the patio back to the house (with the same paving slabs). Looking at maybe getting them to do the lawn at the same level (as it's all over the place).

Amazing how two people could have a heated disagreement over the size of the borders around the garden but, with the lad on his way this afternoon, that's where me and my darling other half are at right now.

The war over 150mm - it shall echo down the ages.

If you like gardening make them bigger. If not, keep them smaller. If it later turns out you like gardening more you can always make them bigger

• Upvote 1

If you like gardening make them bigger. If not, keep them smaller. If it later turns out you like gardening more you can always make them bigger

She's just tried to tell me that bigger borders allow you to put in some plants and shrubs that are lower maintenance. Is she pulling a fast one here to try and do me over?

I reckon 750mm is fine, she wants 1m. 

She's just tried to tell me that bigger borders allow you to put in some plants and shrubs that are lower maintenance. Is she pulling a fast one here to try and do me over?

A bigger border allows you to put bigger plants in, which will grow to take up more space, ie a few big plants which fill a border will be lower maintenance than lots of little ones, I suppose.

I like gardening and would always go for bigger borders because it allows you to have a range of different sized plants growing together for, in my view, a better look.

To reduce maintenance what you want is to cover most of the soil with plants, or bark to suppress weeds

Guest Numero Veinticinco

I reckon 750mm is fine, she wants 1m.

A metre? That's fucking crazy talk.

Guest Numero Veinticinco

Tell me about it.

I fully expect that when I tell her "Some bloke off the internet agrees with me" it will put an end to this problem once and for all.

But I'm the bastard child of Charlie Dimmock and the spliced seamen of Tommy Walsh and Alan Titchmarsh. Who better? 800 is pushing it, 850 tops... But 1m... I honestly never thought I'd live to see the day.

A metre? That's fucking crazy talk.

A metre? Thats tiny!

I'm just causing trouble. However, in all seriousness, the borders I find hardest to manage are the shallowest ones. Its all about scale