You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

House fixy-uppy shit

Stu Monty

2 hours ago, Paulie Dangerously said:

Just spotted some bastard slug has been dancing on my freshly painted wall. 

Fuck sake. Don't even know where they've got in from. 

20210905_191915.jpg

https://www.thedailymash.co.uk/news/environment/slugs-teleport-into-houses-2014090390131?utm_medium=Social&utm_source=Facebook&fbclid=IwAR1BPGiT98HoaL53xG19hZj2idHBBxOJIzYUcTYH639BzvSTcBZokX3rZL8#Echobox=1613064615

• 1 month later...

Noticed a localised patch of damp in our living room on an exterior wall. Could be a small example of the dreaded rising damp as it has some of the telltale signs. Bought in December last year and survey carried out in July, no mention of damp but did notice no evidence of modern damp proofing. Only appears to be a recent problem as the new paint we put on has started peeling and with the recent bad rain it seems to have gone into overdrive. No previous discolouration or musty smells etc 

We've got a channel drain on the other side of the wall which the internet tells me could need unblocking/cleaning as that could  be causing the problem which I'm going to have a go at tonight.  Obviously, knowing my luck this won't sort the issue so I'll end up having to get a damp course put in. 

Anyone had one done recently?

I’m currently on week 8 of a loft extension and conversion. 

it’s at that stage where you just want everyone to stop fucking about and just finish. 

Wishful thinking, en-suite  bathroom going in over the next 2 days. A set of French doors and Juliette to go in. Roofer with one day to do reveals. Plasterer still has a day, final fix of the joinery then a weeks worth of paining 

• Upvote 1

33 minutes ago, Paulie Dangerously said:

Noticed a localised patch of damp in our living room on an exterior wall. Could be a small example of the dreaded rising damp as it has some of the telltale signs. Bought in December last year and survey carried out in July, no mention of damp but did notice no evidence of modern damp proofing. Only appears to be a recent problem as the new paint we put on has started peeling and with the recent bad rain it seems to have gone into overdrive. No previous discolouration or musty smells etc 

We've got a channel drain on the other side of the wall which the internet tells me could need unblocking/cleaning as that could  be causing the problem which I'm going to have a go at tonight.  Obviously, knowing my luck this won't sort the issue so I'll end up having to get a damp course put in. 

Do not under any circumstance get a damp course injected just for some localised patch. They'll drill holes through the brickwork and charge you a couple of grand for the pleasure of leaving loads of holes around your house. Start with the channel drain and go from there.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, skend04 said:

Do not under any circumstance get a damp course injected just for some localised patch. They'll drill holes through the brickwork and charge you a couple of grand for the pleasure of leaving loads of holes around your house. Start with the channel drain and go from there.

Repped for being what I wanted to hear. Cleaned the channels today and poured some water down. Noticed the drive bricks right next to the house had lost the cement/mortar whatever its called between them and a lot of the water was sinking through without making it to the channel pipe which looked in good nick. Not sure if I can just do the brush sand in it think or I'll have to get some cement to put in between? 

Cleared it all the way to the drain and made sure water was flowing freely etc now so will run the dehumidifier for a few days and wait for the next downpour. 

5 minutes ago, Paulie Dangerously said:

Repped for being what I wanted to hear. Cleaned the channels today and poured some water down. Noticed the drive bricks right next to the house had lost the cement/mortar whatever its called between them and a lot of the water was sinking through without making it to the channel pipe which looked in good nick. Not sure if I can just do the brush sand in it think or I'll have to get some cement to put in between? 

Cleared it all the way to the drain and made sure water was flowing freely etc now so will run the dehumidifier for a few days and wait for the next downpour. 

If it's in a fiddly place, I've found the cement in a tube stuff makes repointing a piece of piss. 

27 minutes ago, Paulie Dangerously said:

I think most would just brush sand in-between the joints. Wouldn't use a cement if the rest of the drive has sand. The only details you'd seal are the joints in the channel and probably where the channels butt up to house as that's usually a weak point too 

20 minutes ago, Babb'sBurstNad said:

If it's in a fiddly place, I've found the cement in a tube stuff makes repointing a piece of piss. 

Ha, just reminded me that I needed to spec a resin cement for one of my roofing jobs. Contractor been waiting on me for a couple of weeks now.

• 2 weeks later...
On 19/10/2021 at 07:15, Paulie Dangerously said:

I had an issue with damp on a couple of walls adjoining next door . He payed a fortune having his side's hacked off replastered etc - didn't fix it . I fixed battons , visqueen and plasterboard for peanuts on my side and worked a treat . Not always possible if you have a door on the same wall as obviously you're going to be past the frame and architrave . 

8 hours ago, DalyanPete said:

Wanted to give living room a modern makeover.

Just had this done to ceiling. Centre lights gone.

Original ceiling with drop down plaster board surround.

All spots on dimmer switches. New furniture arriving soon.

20211006_185326.jpg

20211006_185417.jpg

Thats a tremendous amount of windows

10 hours ago, elvis said:

I had an issue with damp on a couple of walls adjoining next door . He payed a fortune having his side's hacked off replastered etc - didn't fix it . I fixed battons , visqueen and plasterboard for peanuts on my side and worked a treat . Not always possible if you have a door on the same wall as obviously you're going to be past the frame and architrave . 

I have no idea of most of what you said there, King. Can you put it a way a soft hand can understand mate?

5 minutes ago, Paulie Dangerously said:

I have no idea of most of what you said there, King. Can you put it a way a soft hand can understand mate?

Ha , fix roof battens vertically every 18" or so , cover with a plastic sheet and screw plaster board to the battens.  Gives you a small cavity and is really easy to do . I did this to a narrow alcove wall , and just used the plasterboard as a base for wallpaper/paint - didn't even have to skim .Any half decent DIY mate could do this if you don't fancy it 

• 7 months later...
  • 9 months later...
  • 2 months later...
7 hours ago, Babb'sBurstNad said:

Anyone used one of these custom skirting / architrave companies?

Need to match some Edwardian door architraves, and it looks like it'll be a fool's errand finding something ready made.

Have you tried any salvage places?