You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

House fixy-uppy shit

Stu Monty

16 minutes ago, Captain Turdseye said:

As predicted. Only got them in green. The grey one I photographed is display-only and it’s got a big tear in the bottom. 

There’s five of them in stock in Braintree where I’ll be on the Bank Holiday Monday. Might have to leave the kids there to be able to fit it into the car though. 

So win-win?

• Upvote 1

52 minutes ago, Captain Turdseye said:

As predicted. Only got them in green. The grey one I photographed is display-only and it’s got a big tear in the bottom. 

There’s five of them in stock in Braintree where I’ll be on the Bank Holiday Monday. Might have to leave the kids there to be able to fit it into the car though. 

So annoying 

On 10/08/2021 at 19:16, Justice Negs said:

Given there was a man desiring candyfloss and cherry Pepsi stood behind them, the likely answer here is ‘snatched’.

29 minutes ago, Babb'sBurstNad said:

Those hairpin legs probably come off, so if it's not assembled you might get away with cramming it on top of a small child. Tell them it's a game or something.

I rest my case, your honour.

• Upvote 1

Finally round to decorating the new house. In one of walls, joining to next door, underneath a mirror were these sort of "veins" that looked a bit like damp. Nothing showed on the survey about them. They're showing through when we paint (tried to do a pic but can't see them on it).

Can I just throw some damp proof paint over the area and then do another coat? 

23 minutes ago, Paulie Dangerously said:

Finally round to decorating the new house. In one of walls, joining to next door, underneath a mirror were these sort of "veins" that looked a bit like damp. Nothing showed on the survey about them. They're showing through when we paint (tried to do a pic but can't see them on it).

Can I just throw some damp proof paint over the area and then do another coat? 

Probably not want you want to hear but I’d get someone with a damp meter to check it out for you before you go any further. No point painting now if it’s going to need treating

• Upvote 1

21 hours ago, Paulie Dangerously said:

Harbinger of doom here! Cheers, will do the sensible thing!

Not really. I probably said before that we found a patch of damp on one of our outside walls a little while back. I thought it was going to be thousands but our friendly plasterer came round, ended up stripping back a section of the wall and replastering and it was only a couple of hundred pounds. Worth every penny for the piece of mind

• 2 weeks later...
10 hours ago, Babb'sBurstNad said:

A mixed week of house stuff. Made a hat rack out of a pair of antlers and mounted it. Then found out a load of sockets have been haphazardly run off a lighting circuit.

Oh, I think we deserve a picture of your dressed hat rack!

Meanwhile at Champ Towers we bought the IKEA chair in time for the new carpet arriving today. I had visions of spending my weekend basking in the joy of our newly remodelled living room ONLY THE BASTARDS DELIVERED THE CARPET TO THE WRONG DEPOT AND WERE LEFT WITH NO CARPET, AN EMPTIED ROOM AND BARE FLOOR BOARDS. AND IM NOT HAPPY 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 4

2 hours ago, Champ said:

Meanwhile at Champ Towers we bought the IKEA chair in time for the new carpet arriving today. I had visions of spending my weekend basking in the joy of our newly remodelled living room ONLY THE BASTARDS DELIVERED THE CARPET TO THE WRONG DEPOT AND WERE LEFT WITH NO CARPET, AN EMPTIED ROOM AND BARE FLOOR BOARDS. AND IM NOT HAPPY 

Aargh. Fucking nightmare. Have they given you a date for delivery? Are they fitting it too?

Fist bump for the chair though. I’m also a new chair owner, as you know. Feels great doesn’t it, owning a chair?

My kids are delighted with it because I’ve told them they’re allowed to sit on it while eating crisps and chocolate. I’m not too bothered about a £78 chair but they know if I catch them dropping food on the new sofa I’ll wring their fucking necks*. 

*Not really. I’ll just slap them about a bit **

** Not really, I’ll just moan like fuck, threaten to stop their pocket money for a week and remind them that I’m in charge, all whilst being a total hypocrite and eating loads of crisps on the new couch as soon as they’ve gone to bed. 

17 hours ago, Champ said:

Here it is. The walls are actually a soft grey, so it stands out a but better in person. I've finally got working plug sockets today too!

Antler hat rack

• Upvote 4

18 hours ago, Captain Turdseye said:

Aargh. Fucking nightmare. Have they given you a date for delivery? Are they fitting it too?

Fist bump for the chair though. I’m also a new chair owner, as you know. Feels great doesn’t it, owning a chair?

My kids are delighted with it because I’ve told them they’re allowed to sit on it while eating crisps and chocolate. I’m not too bothered about a £78 chair but they know if I catch them dropping food on the new sofa I’ll wring their fucking necks*. 

*Not really. I’ll just slap them about a bit **

** Not really, I’ll just moan like fuck, threaten to stop their pocket money for a week and remind them that I’m in charge, all whilst being a total hypocrite and eating loads of crisps on the new couch as soon as they’ve gone to bed. 

Bloody John Lewis too! What’s going on with the world?
Amy is now my Case Manager and I’ll be accepting nothing less than the £150 they charge for a customer to rearrange a fitting date for my distress and inconvenience.

That should just about pay for my lovely new chair.

Edit. I would never normally look for compensation if a company apologises for some poor service and then sort the problem quickly but they were just taking the piss yesterday, telling me that they would be with me by 11.00 when they didn’t even have the carpet in their warehouse and then just giving me the runaround for the rest of the day. 
Disgruntled of Edinburgh 

• Upvote 2