You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

House fixy-uppy shit

Stu Monty

28 minutes ago, VladimirIlyich said:

Just out of curiosity,what is a wet wall?

Not cheap but to be fair really nice stuff, may also be called shower boards.  It's large waterproof panels that they bond to the walls instead of tiles (can also go on top of tiles if they don't need to be removed) so no need for grout etc.

42 minutes ago, Trumo said:

We had our bathroom re-done last year (they finished just before the first lockdown), and we went for the vinyl wall tiles and flooring. No need to faff about with grouting, easy to keep clean, better at preventing the bathroom from feeling cold in the mornings, and the finish works well with the white bathroom furniture. We had the plumbing and electrics re-done as well since we'd rejigged the layout, and they took a couple of weeks to do the job. I sourced the toilet, sink unit and shower cubicle separately so saved a fair bit there, and all in it came it just shy of £2000. The guys we hired were also working on a neighbour's bathroom and they'd known each other for years, so we got a favourable deal with the labour.

I don't know if I've overpaid or not because I find that most people lie through their teeth about how much they've paid to have work done.

Sounds very reasonable I think, especially since they want nearly £1k off me to refurb just a 1x0.8m shower cubicle before factoring in any materials.

47 minutes ago, Qwikage said:

Ask them for a detailed breakdown of the costs and the sums involved in each element of the works. It it transpires that there is a contingency for items which may not be required then ask them to agree to them being deducted from the final bill. Get it in writing !!

Thanks for the reply.

Yeah three times I've asked but basically they're refusing or extremely reluctant to quote specifics, adamant that everything they have quoted for will need doing including some level of wall repair or re-plastering, despite earlier suggesting it was just a maybe.  Not impressed as this was not my experience with them last time.

They're currently very in demand, as are many trades at the moment, so starting to feel like the job is not big enough for them.  Real shame when you lose faith in someone you've used before.

(I need to learn how to multi-quote)

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Moo said:

Not cheap but to be fair really nice stuff, may also be called shower boards.  It's large waterproof panels that they bond to the walls instead of tiles (can also go on top of tiles if they don't need to be removed) so no need for grout etc.

And the beauty thing is that you can buy them with a tile design etched in so that it looks like tiles.

15 hours ago, Moo said:

Thanks for the reply.

Yeah three times I've asked but basically they're refusing or extremely reluctant to quote specifics, adamant that everything they have quoted for will need doing including some level of wall repair or re-plastering, despite earlier suggesting it was just a maybe.  Not impressed as this was not my experience with them last time.

They're currently very in demand, as are many trades at the moment, so starting to feel like the job is not big enough for them.  Real shame when you lose faith in someone you've used before.

That's disappointing if they have done work for you before. 

It is a sellers market at the moment and most tradesmen have very full order books ( working from home has led a lot of homeowners wanting alterations). Add that to the usual spring renewal frenzy and it's the perfect storm for anyone looking for building work to be done. 

Not helpful I know, but would perhaps explain why a previously reliable and cost effective tradesman is suddenly not as helpful.

On 26/05/2021 at 17:03, Moo said:

Thanks for the reply.

Fuck them off then if they arent prepared to do as you ask. OK they may be in demand and a sign they do good work but I dont see why they wont break down costs as you request.

While it's true if they are in demand they can pick and choose jobs, you need to be satisfied you are being overcharged.

7 hours ago, Colonel Kurtz said:

Mrs Kurtz (ex Army) has commissioned a mural of poppies for our garage wall. Here is it in progress. I will post the final version before some scumbag graffitis it. 

67D429F1-3935-4747-8386-D5A14425D034.jpeg

Looks awesome. Id hate to do that draft to find some scrote had come along and graffited it. She should sign it Banksey or something then the scrotes might leave it alone?

1 hour ago, Colonel Kurtz said:

This is the finished work. I had my doubts at first but it’s better than I thought it was going to be.  I’m pretty sure we are the only house in our neighbourhood to have a mural so that’s something. 

74ABCE83-69F4-4AE1-AFE0-3495F5955E77.jpeg

Was about to say it’s missing a flag, but I can see you’ve got one up already.

1 hour ago, Colonel Kurtz said:

This is the finished work. I had my doubts at first but it’s better than I thought it was going to be.  I’m pretty sure we are the only house in our neighbourhood to have a mural so that’s something. 

74ABCE83-69F4-4AE1-AFE0-3495F5955E77.jpeg

Not to my taste mate but fair play to her, thats really really impressive. I hope nobody spoils it.

Can you post a picture of the flag by the way? Can I see a red hand of ulster there ? 

10 hours ago, Mudface said:

Anybody else spotted the screaming child's face in that?

There’s something a bit disturbing about those poppies…aside from the emblazoning of the side of your garage with an in your face glorification of war themed mural.

Edit. I’ve now decided you’re just trolling us