You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

House fixy-uppy shit

Stu Monty

33 minutes ago, Champ said:

Thoosands.

Edit We’re in the same boat. Neighbours had all their windows replaced last summer. They were very pleased with the job so I got them round to do a quote for our bay window and 2 regular windows at the front of the house. 
How much? £18000.

Needless to say we’ve gone back to the drawing board

If you got one of the national companies, they start ridiculously high then try to wow you with massive, only available on that day, discounts.

If you get some local companies i'm sure you could halve that at least.

45 minutes ago, Mook said:

Absolutely no chance of me fitting it, I can't fit a lego window for my kids.

If I got a window company in, how much would they charge to fit it roughly do you reckon?

Including link in post above and having a quick read, I would say approx 100 to fit. So look at paying 350 for a fitted window.

Again working out 3500 for ten windows. Maybe if only getting one fitted it may work out cheaper getting a local tradesman rather than a company who may charge daily rates for fitters.

Also as @A Red said, a lot go with high for full house, so they can call their boss and have special offers. However I think they are cutting down on this a lot.

The type of window also effects the price, so simple PVC with no openings is a lot cheaper option. Even handle types can add significantly to cost.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Mook said:

Anybody ever had their windows replaced? Our kitchen window has been really bad for condensation & letting the cold in this winter & I'm wondering roughly how much it would cost to get...

A - one window replaced

B - all seven windows replaced

I'm just thinking ballpark figures, I can't see us doing all seven anytime soon.

Are they timber or uPVC framed windows? And are they in decent nick? I take it they're double glazed? If so, you might be able to get the glazed inserts replaced fairly easily - and much cheaper than replacing the whole window I'd have thought.

• Upvote 2

39 minutes ago, cochyn said:

Are they timber or uPVC framed windows? And are they in decent nick? I take it they're double glazed? If so, you might be able to get the glazed inserts replaced fairly easily - and much cheaper than replacing the whole window I'd have thought.

They're plastic & double glazed, the one in the kitchen is all cracked round the edges. Not in great shape at all. Some of the other ones are ok.

I'll have a look into what you're talking about, thanks.

6 hours ago, Champ said:

Thoosands.

Edit We’re in the same boat. Neighbours had all their windows replaced last summer. They were very pleased with the job so I got them round to do a quote for our bay window and 2 regular windows at the front of the house. 
How much? £18000.

Didnt you laugh at them and say not a chance?

I was interested in getting 2 new roller garage doors a couple of years back so asked the local guy to come round and give a quote. Ideally would have loved the electric ones but I knew they were going to be pricey and only asked about manual ones.

After a bit of teeth sucking which is never a good sign, this cunt said 1800 quid. I said Id be looking at a discount with having both done. He said that's the price for one and with a straight face said, he'd knock 50 quid off if I had both done so £3550!

I laughed and said I dont expect you to have no profit but Im not paying three and a half grand for 2 garage doors. But he wouldnt budge so I said thanks for wasting 30 minutes of my time.

3 hours ago, dockers_strike said:

Didnt you laugh at them and say not a chance?

I was interested in getting 2 new roller garage doors a couple of years back so asked the local guy to come round and give a quote. Ideally would have loved the electric ones but I knew they were going to be pricey and only asked about manual ones.

After a bit of teeth sucking which is never a good sign, this cunt said 1800 quid. I said Id be looking at a discount with having both done. He said that's the price for one and with a straight face said, he'd knock 50 quid off if I had both done so £3550!

I laughed and said I dont expect you to have no profit but Im not paying three and a half grand for 2 garage doors. But he wouldnt budge so I said thanks for wasting 30 minutes of my time.

No ‘special offer’ made no call back. Zilch

Do some people really pay those prices?

14 hours ago, Champ said:

Thoosands.

How much? £18000.

£18k? 

I only paid a grand for a lounge window to be replaced with french doors! 

• 3 months later...

Anyone had any bathroom/tiling work done recently?  Or any bathroom fitters on here?

Just wondering what I should expect to pay to have my shower cubicle de-tiled, re-tiled, sealed and a new shower fitted?

The wall area to be tiled is 7 m2.

I've had a quote off a company I've used before for plumbing work and like them so was a bit gutted they've come in much more expensive than I thought they had led me to believe, but it could have been a misunderstanding.

I'd be supplying the shower which they'd fit to the existing connections, and they'd re-fit the existing shower tray and doors.  They'd only be supplying the wet wall (which I understand is more expensive than tiles and there'd be a bit of wastage cos of the inbetweeny size).

So I get the cost for for materials, but £1000 for labour?  Not sure how many days work it would be, and let's just say I've not dealt before with the particular person who's prepared the quote and I've found them to be a bit vague throughout, whereas when I've used them before they were more clear in every respect.  So I've lost a bit of confidence in them unfortunately.

Any advice would be much appreciated, ta.

(edit, just to say by the time I've bought the shower the total cost will be pushing £2k to refurb only the shower cubicle) 

Fuck me, promised the old girl Id paint the 3 doors in the bedroom, architrave and skirting before getting a new bedroom carpet.

The doors are them mock Georgian 6 inset panel things. Ive rollered and brushed 2 of them twice, 1 three fucking times and that one has come out patchy again so, I have to do it again.

Ive said that's the last time we're getting 'cheap' B&Q own brand paint even if it was only 3 quid cheaper than Dulux!

2 hours ago, Moo said:

Anyone had any bathroom/tiling work done recently?  Or any bathroom fitters on here?

Just wondering what I should expect to pay to have my shower cubicle de-tiled, re-tiled, sealed and a new shower fitted?

I've had a quote off a company I've used before for plumbing work and like them so was a bit gutted they've come in much more expensive than I thought they had led me to believe, but it could have been a misunderstanding.

I'd be supplying the shower which they'd fit to the existing connections, and they'd re-fit the existing shower tray and doors.  They'd only be supplying the wet wall (which I understand is more expensive than tiles and there'd be a bit of wastage cos of the inbetweeny size).

So I get the cost for for materials, but £1000 for labour?  Not sure how many days work it would be, and let's just say I've not dealt before with the particular person who's prepared the quote and I've found them to be a bit vague throughout, whereas when I've used them before they were more clear in every respect.  So I've lost a bit of confidence in them unfortunately.

(edit, just to say by the time I've bought the shower the total cost will be pushing £2k to refurb only the shower cubicle) 

Personally, I wouldnt get it re tiled. Get the shower cubicle lined with those shower wall panels. Get them is different colours, no grouting to turn shitty and a breeze to wipe down.

That job, 2 full days max if you have the panels instead of tiles. They dont piss about taking tiles off now, just use a mini jack hammer. 1000 nicker sounds excessive but if you're having tiles done might be a little over what Id expect. Id say 500 - 600 quid for 2 days labour for 2 doing the job with panels instead of tiles.

On 31/01/2021 at 10:52, A Red said:

I had this delivered yesterday, it took a few minutes to suss out the controls but 30 minutes later I was using it to do keepie uppies with a tennis ball

20210130_100720.jpg

Fucking hell, I feel a surge of testosterone using a power drill. 

I can only imagine that you had to use the dumper truck to carry your testes home after operating that bad boy. 

4 hours ago, General Dryness said:

Fucking hell, I feel a surge of testosterone using a power drill. 

I can only imagine that you had to use the dumper truck to carry your testes home after operating that bad boy. 

Well, me and proper hard core machinery have a special relationship.

If only the builders had let me have the keys.

• Upvote 3

12 hours ago, TheBitch said:

I wouldn’t expect a good plumber to take more than 3 days to do that start to finish at £150- £200 a day. 

I’d say that was a 2 day job actually. 

Thanks for the reply, I thought similar.

12 hours ago, dockers_strike said:

Personally, I wouldnt get it re tiled. Get the shower cubicle lined with those shower wall panels. Get them is different colours, no grouting to turn shitty and a breeze to wipe down.

That job, 2 full days max if you have the panels instead of tiles. They dont piss about taking tiles off now, just use a mini jack hammer. 1000 nicker sounds excessive but if you're having tiles done might be a little over what Id expect. Id say 500 - 600 quid for 2 days labour for 2 doing the job with panels instead of tiles.

Thanks for the reply.  

Yes the quote I have is for the panels not replacement tiles which they had told me would be much less labour intensive, hence one of the reasons I was surprised at their labour costs (the panels themselves would be an additional cost of course).

Going to get a tiler to come and have a look as even if I allow a generous £80 per sqm for tiling (plain white tiles nothing fancy plus labour) it should come in quite a bit cheaper.

I know materials prices have gone up recently due to demand, maybe labour costs have edged up with it.

1 hour ago, Moo said:

Thanks for the reply.  

Yes the quote I have is for the panels not replacement tiles which they had told me would be much less labour intensive, hence one of the reasons I was surprised at their labour costs (the panels themselves would be an additional cost of course).

Going to get a tiler to come and have a look as even if I allow a generous £80 per sqm for tiling (plain white tiles nothing fancy plus labour) it should come in quite a bit cheaper.

I know materials prices have gone up recently due to demand, maybe labour costs have edged up with it.

Definitely definitely go with the wet wall. Ours looks as good as when it went in and cleans really easily. I know, I am the bathroom cleaner.

Get another quote for the same job and see where you are then

On 14/05/2020 at 09:42, Champ said:

Fingers crossed everything runs smoothly Mook.

Re getting work done, it may seem like a brilliant idea having a friend/family member do work for you but think very carefully before going down this road about how well you know the person’s work, their reliability and how you and they respond to changes of plan/differences of opinion 

Boy oh boy, how I wish I’d read this post two months ago. 

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, Champ said:

Definitely definitely go with the wet wall. Ours looks as good as when it went in and cleans really easily. I know, I am the bathroom cleaner.

Get another quote for the same job and see where you are then

Thanks for the reply.

I believe the wet wall is really good for cleaning and happy to go with on that basis but the expense is growing from the initial impression they gave my which suggested I would save money as it's so easy to fit.  They're now telling me that the £1000 labour costs include attention/re-plastering of the walls once the tiles are taken off, in order for the wet wall to bond.  They haven't even taken a single tile off yet to see the wall behind, but they seem pretty adamant.

Definitely need another quote or two.

20 hours ago, Moo said:

Ask them for a detailed breakdown of the costs and the sums involved in each element of the works. It it transpires that there is a contingency for items which may not be required then ask them to agree to them being deducted from the final bill. Get it in writing !!

• Upvote 1

We had our bathroom re-done last year (they finished just before the first lockdown), and we went for the vinyl wall tiles and flooring. No need to faff about with grouting, easy to keep clean, better at preventing the bathroom from feeling cold in the mornings, and the finish works well with the white bathroom furniture. We had the plumbing and electrics re-done as well since we'd rejigged the layout, and they took a couple of weeks to do the job. I sourced the toilet, sink unit and shower cubicle separately so saved a fair bit there, and all in it came it just shy of £2000. The guys we hired were also working on a neighbour's bathroom and they'd known each other for years, so we got a favourable deal with the labour.

I don't know if I've overpaid or not because I find that most people lie through their teeth about how much they've paid to have work done.