You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

House fixy-uppy shit

Stu Monty

1 hour ago, Qwikage said:

That looks like cavity fill insulation? Did you ever get the cavity filled? Is it wet?

We've only just moved in, it looks dry to me. The wardrobe was very old so I'm guessing the vent was covered & that insulation was put in there in the 60s or 70s (the house was built in '62).

The good news is we've had a go at the mould today & it's gone, I think it was all pretty superficial.

• Upvote 1

31 minutes ago, Mook said:

We've only just moved in, it looks dry to me. The wardrobe was very old so I'm guessing the vent was covered & that insulation was put in there in the 60s or 70s (the house was built in '62).

The good news is we've had a go at the mould today & it's gone, I think it was all pretty superficial.

Thats great new mate.

• Upvote 1

• 4 months later...

Anybody ever had their windows replaced? Our kitchen window has been really bad for condensation & letting the cold in this winter & I'm wondering roughly how much it would cost to get...

A - one window replaced

B - all seven windows replaced

I'm just thinking ballpark figures, I can't see us doing all seven anytime soon.

1 hour ago, Mook said:

Anybody ever had their windows replaced? Our kitchen window has been really bad for condensation & letting the cold in this winter & I'm wondering roughly how much it would cost to get...

A - one window replaced

B - all seven windows replaced

I'm just thinking ballpark figures, I can't see us doing all seven anytime soon.

You can get windows anywhere, B&Q for example, and prices fluctuate considerably. I would look at between 200 and 300 for a standard size double glazed double fronted window. 

In relation to insulation, a FENSA certificate is required for building regs and law, which means in theory you and your mate can't just fit it. Obviously that is your choice but if you are paying someone decent to install they should be FENSA registered.

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Scooby Dudek said:

You can get windows anywhere, B&Q for example, and prices fluctuate considerably. I would look at between 200 and 300 for a standard size double glazed double fronted window. 

In relation to insulation, a FENSA certificate is required for building regs and law, which means in theory you and your mate can't just fit it. Obviously that is your choice but if you are paying someone decent to install they should be FENSA registered.

Absolutely no chance of me fitting it, I can't fit a lego window for my kids.

If I got a window company in, how much would they charge to fit it roughly do you reckon?

1 hour ago, Colonel Kurtz said:

Lift it up, rake out the old sand and refill with new builders sand with a layer of cement powder. Tap it down to level with a sledgehammer. Sorted. 

56 minutes ago, dockers_strike said:

A sledgie!? Surely a rubber mallet?

38 minutes ago, Rico1304 said:

Petrol through the letterbox. 

Hahaha  sledgehammer, Ricos option is better there ! 

Kurtz did you mean to use the sledgehammer on the old dear first ? 

7 minutes ago, Mook said:

Absolutely no chance of me fitting it, I can't fit a lego window for my kids.

If I got a window company in, how much would they charge to fit it roughly do you reckon?

Thoosands.

Edit We’re in the same boat. Neighbours had all their windows replaced last summer. They were very pleased with the job so I got them round to do a quote for our bay window and 2 regular windows at the front of the house. 
How much? £18000.

Needless to say we’ve gone back to the drawing board

• Upvote 1

27 minutes ago, Champ said:

Thoosands.

Edit We’re in the same boat. Neighbours had all their windows replaced last summer. They were very pleased with the job so I got them round to do a quote for our bay window and 2 regular windows at the front of the house. 
How much? £18000.

Needless to say we’ve gone back to the drawing board

Another of those situations where you wonder where other people get their money from