You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

House fixy-uppy shit

Stu Monty

• 3 years later...

We've got a new house & I have a couple of daft questions, hopefully someone can clear up quite quickly for me...

1 - If we get carpet people in to do the whole house, will they take they old carpets up if requested (& will this double the cost)?

2 - Any recommendations for a new kitchen provider/fitter? Obviously we're in Scotland so it would have to be a brand rather than Dave from Old Swan & keeping the cost down is paramount.

7 minutes ago, Mook said:

We've got a new house & I have a couple of daft questions, hopefully someone can clear up quite quickly for me...

1 - If we get carpet people in to do the whole house, will they take they old carpets up if requested (& will this double the cost)?

2 - Any recommendations for a new kitchen provider/fitter? Obviously we're in Scotland so it would have to be a brand rather than Dave from Old Swan & keeping the cost down is paramount.

1. Do it yourself. It's piss easy.

2. Fuck knows but it won't be cheap whoever you pick.

23 minutes ago, Mook said:

Seriously mate, ask about for a good kitchen designer and fitter rather than go to one of the branded suppliers/fitters. Don't let the fact they're working out of a garage or small lock up put you off.

If you go to one of the big brands, you'll be adding money on for the brand name plus a few other things. Most of the big names will happily come and do you a 3d plan of what it will look like but they wont give you the plans as they know you'll fuck off and just give it to a lone trader to do. 

We got ours from B&Q (never again) and got a good joiner mate of ours to fit it for us. There was fuck all wrong with the product from B&Q, it was just a nightmare dealing with them and getting all the bits.

Unless your spending silly money on real wood, all the cupboards/carcasses are made up of the same basic materials no matter where you go. The money is swallowed up in the doors, hardware on the doors and worktops and sink. 

As for the carpet removal. Best you can do is ask them. If they don't, ask them to cut the old carpet into manageable pieces so you can take it to your local dump. Might also be worth keeping a decent sized bit just in case you ever need to get rid of a corpse. 

• Upvote 2

5 minutes ago, TheHowieLama said:

Takin the rug out and disposing it yourself will make you stink of piss. They should do it. Tell them the other fella who quoted it included it in their price.

What needs changed in the kitchen?

It needs a new kitchen entirely.

And thanks Dougie, I was thinking that about the brands. My uncle is a joiner so going local is probably the shout.

6 minutes ago, Mook said:

And thanks Dougie, I was thinking that about the brands. My uncle is a joiner so going local is probably the shout.

Just one other thing you might want to consider and it'll depend on preference, but If it were me, I'd avoid built in appliances.

• Upvote 1

46 minutes ago, Mook said:

As much as I loathe social media my wife found our kitchen supplier on Instagram. Worth checking it out. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, ))) said:

Check these quims out:

https://www.diy-kitchens.com/

We got our last kitchen off these people and her sister also did , and they are fantastic value compared to the usual suspects ( Wren , B and Q, Howdens etc ) The bonuses being that the cabinets are excellent quality and all come ready put together bar the doors , which cuts the fitter's costings as well. Use these and find a decent local fitter and you will save a fortune.

• Upvote 1

13 hours ago, Elite said:

1. Do it yourself. It's piss easy.

2. Fuck knows but it won't be cheap whoever you pick.

Carpet bangers are notoriously against doing anything other than fitting the carpet,. Mainly because they have a shit profit margin. 

Im a floor fitter (industrial vinyl) and know loads of carpet bangers here in Ireland. They do have about 10 houses to visit in the day to make a decent wedge, so anything that slow them down is a major no no. 

You're best pulling the old carpet and grippers up (the wooden sticks with sharp nails sticking out of them that are close to the walls) yourself. It'll speed up the whole process. 

Id tend to agree with the other comments regarding your kitchen. Get a good chippy in. They'll cost a touch more, but they wont be glorified box assemblers. 

• Upvote 1

14 hours ago, Mook said:

Recently done both and what I did worked for me:

1. Getting the whole house done will involve serious money. Therefore I bartered with the supplier to fit free and take away the old carpet as part of the deal. 

2. Asked about for a recommended kitchen fitter with references. He brought a variety of brochures from trade suppliers and we chose what we wanted. He supplied and fitted and was around 20% cheaper overall than doing it direct. 

Hope this helps and good luck.

• Upvote 1

On 11/05/2020 at 21:44, Mook said:

Fingers crossed everything runs smoothly Mook.

Re getting work done, it may seem like a brilliant idea having a friend/family member do work for you but think very carefully before going down this road about how well you know the person’s work, their reliability and how you and they respond to changes of plan/differences of opinion 

• Upvote 1

• 4 months later...
6 minutes ago, Mook said:

We've removed a built-in wardrobe from a bedroom & there's a load of fucking mould on the wall.

Anybody any experience of this, I'm guessing it's going to bankrupt me to get it fixed?

On the plaster or the actual brick?

On the plaster it's fairly straight forward to remove it all and put up new plasterboard and re-plaster I imagine.

7 minutes ago, Elite said:

On the plaster or the actual brick?

On the plaster it's fairly straight forward to remove it all and put up new plasterboard and re-plaster I imagine.

Hard to say, it's only showing on the horrible 1960s wallpaper under the old wardrobe at the moment.

1 hour ago, Mook said:

We've removed a built-in wardrobe from a bedroom & there's a load of fucking mould on the wall.

Anybody any experience of this, I'm guessing it's going to bankrupt me to get it fixed?

Did the wardrobe back onto an external wall Mook?

If so does it have a vent brick on the external brickwork/render of the wall where the wardrobe was? If it does it is possibly interstitial condensation which may stop now you have removed the wardrobe.

First thing to do would be to wash it with a 1:1 solution of white vinegar and water (WEAR A MASK DO NOT TRY IT WITHOUT ONE). If the room can be ventilated leave it to dry thoroughly. 

Once dry if possible remove a small section say 4" x 4" of the plaster to see if it has permeated the structure behind.

If it has give me a shout and I will talk you through the options.

• Upvote 8

1 hour ago, Bjornebye said:

Scrub it off, paint over it then put another wardrobe over it. Don't worry until the wall collapses. 

34 minutes ago, Qwikage said:

If so does it have a vent brick on the external brickwork/render of the wall where the wardrobe was? If it does it is possibly interstitial condensation which may stop now you have removed the wardrobe.

First thing to do would be to wash it with a 1:1 solution of white vinegar and water (WEAR A MASK DO NOT TRY IT WITHOUT ONE). If the room can be ventilated leave it to dry thoroughly. 

Once dry if possible remove a small section say 4" x 4" of the plaster to see if it has permeated the structure behind.

There you have it. 

49 minutes ago, Qwikage said:

It is an external wall, I'll have a look at the other point & get back to you. Thanks for your help.

2 hours ago, Qwikage said:

Just been out to look & there is a vent there, we'll give your instructions a go over the next few days & let you know if the structure has it.

Thanks for your help mate, much appreciated.

2 hours ago, Qwikage said:

Is white vinegar just clear vinegar?