You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

House fixy-uppy shit

Stu Monty

Tightening screws on the brackets that attach the drawer front to the sides.  And if you don't do it promptly and regularly, the brackets work loose, bend and fracture.  And then you replace the bracket.  Only the (German) manufacturer eventually stopped making that model. So I recently replaced all the brackets, which meant replacing the drawer sides, as the new brackets didn't fit the old sides.........you get the picture.  While replacing the drawer sides, I did what should have been done originally and fitted soft-closing attachments.  

Tightening screws on the brackets that attach the drawer front to the sides.  And if you don't do it promptly and regularly, the brackets work loose, bend and fracture.  And then you replace the bracket.  Only the (German) manufacturer eventually stopped making that model. So I recently replaced all the brackets, which meant replacing the drawer sides, as the new brackets didn't fit the old sides.........you get the picture.  While replacing the drawer sides, I did what should have been done originally and fitted soft-closing attachments.  

Soft closing drawers. These are the ones that appear to close themselves, arent they?

We've never really had any problems with our existing ones (conventional type) but I do like the 'self closing' style.

Most of our current units are cupboards but the builder was recommending going for a mix of cupboards and deep drawers. Would others support this arrangement?

Yep - you close the drawer to a certain point, then the closing mechanism takes over and "self-closes" gently.  If you're thinking about deep drawers, you will put more stuff in them, which in turn means more weight.  Closing a heavy drawer too quickly causes the problem we experienced, which was always much worse with the larger drawers.   

I hear they are but I remain very attached to the idea of gas burners. Lots of them.

The biggest real decision is going to be wall mounted ovens or below the hob. I wish I could have both but we dont have the space for that

I hear they are but I remain very attached to the idea of gas burners. Lots of them.

The biggest real decision is going to be wall mounted ovens or below the hob. I wish I could have both but we dont have the space for that

Well that's up to you... if you want to try and clean those bastards that's up to you.

Ovens... go for mid-height, and get one of these:

http://www.neff.co.uk/features-slide-hide.html

Wall mounted champ, we've got a below the hob and the oven is smaller and a pain to clean. Get one with the door that slides in too - they look ace.

Ok, one for those who've recently installed new kitchens/know anything about such things, what was the best thing(s) you did, what would you have done differently if you were doing it now / had had more money to spend?

Don't bother with granite work tops, I'm sick to death of trying to be gentle, that and not being able to make a mess when baking, they don't like food dye too much. We've got half depth units on one wall, makes the kitchen seem bigger than it is and provides enough of the extra storage needed. Oh and underfloor heating. I love this stuff in the kitchen, it's not ideal if you tend to leave shopping on the floor and get back to putting it away an hour later, but it doesn't half make the veg peeling a bit more bearable. 

Don't bother with granite work tops, I'm sick to death of trying to be gentle, that and not being able to make a mess when baking, they don't like food dye too much. We've got half depth units on one wall, makes the kitchen seem bigger than it is and provides enough of the extra storage needed. Oh and underfloor heating. I love this stuff in the kitchen, it's not ideal if you tend to leave shopping on the floor and get back to putting it away an hour later, but it doesn't half make the veg peeling a bit more bearable.

I got plinth heaters under the units but I'm a double hard bastard and can never be arsed to turn them on.

Granite is ok when it's properly sealed.

Saying that, I'm leaning towards trying Quartz in the future.

And run up the heating bill no doubt. By the time you put it on you'll be finished in there. Pointless cost.

And run up the heating bill no doubt. By the time you put it on you'll be finished in there. Pointless cost.

I'd never thought about having it in the kitchen but we have it in the bathrooms. Its on a timer and its wonderful