You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

House fixy-uppy shit

Stu Monty

Coupled of things to report from my build. First up, the kitchen company I used have been a pain in the arse. They outsource their worktops and were given too long of a lead time from their usual supplier so they went elsewhere. Cue 3 weeks of nothingness until I called to cancel the order and I'm now sourcing it myself. I've saved a fair whack in doing so, but it's just delaying things. Kitchen is in, appliances are in, but no worktop just yet.

The other thing has been a nightmare. We're having an overlay underfloor heating system, and that went in a few weeks ago. The problem being that I was expecting solid boards which the pipes lay in and the plumber turned up with an insulation board similar to Celotex, with grooves for the pipework. On the face of it that's no problem, but the flooring we're having is a cheaper version of Karndean and is only 2mm thick. So not appropriate on the overlay boards. We had to lay plywood over the area which we glued to the boards but there were loads of spots that lifted and the floor was uneven. Long story short; over 300 90mm screws went into the floor to secure the plywood in place, and as far as we know we didn't hit any pipes. Somehow.

Getting there.

• Upvote 2

I'm loving this thread. We bought a massive shit pit over 2 years ago, for 12 shillings and sixpence (not quite, but it was steal). It's Victorian, 7 bedrooms, 3 bathrooms (we got rid of the downstairs one so it's now just a bog) and 3 reception rooms. With 5 kids, we wanted somewhere big enough for them to have a room each, plus one for an office. It was falling to pieces - I don't think it had been decorated for about 40 years.

Anyway, we've done the vast majority of it ourselves. Mr T has done most of it, and I've just helped with the decorating and been in charge of restoring all the period features. I've also been allowed free reign on design, which has been ace.

We've only got one room left (one of the living rooms) and the kitchen/dining room extension (being done in the spring). I'm dead proud of what we've done on such a tiny budget, it's been really satisfying but hard graft, every spare waking minute.

On the flip side, now it's almost done, the kids have buggered off and there's only 2 left here. I'll get some pictures up at some point.

• Upvote 2

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

the fuck is that on the right? dubble bubble toil and trouble?

Moved into our new home last week. First bought house. Needless to say I haven't stopped. get in from work and its paint etc. 2am Saturday morning I was still sanding and painting the kitchen units. Tonight I need to do the front (master) bedroom. Who says crime don't pay.

the fuck is that on the right? dubble bubble toil and trouble?

Moved into our new home last week. First bought house. Needless to say I haven't stopped. get in from work and its paint etc. 2am Saturday morning I was still sanding and painting the kitchen units. Tonight I need to do the front (master) bedroom. Who says crime don't pay.

Haha. It's what my grandma used to call her bread crock. I love it