You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

House fixy-uppy shit

Stu Monty

I don't have a bog at the moment, he's coming back today to plumb it in.

Went to tescos this morning, picked up a paper as I walked in the store, didn't bother paying for it, went for a shit and read the paper and left it in there for their next customer.

Every little helps.

My hero.

When I worked for UPS I knew all the best bogs. Which ones had two-ply paper, which ones had no gap between the doors, which ones were cleaned properly and most important which ones had an extra bog roll available.

The best bog was a small office building with mostly dentists and doctors and the toilet backed onto the wood burring bagel shop so you would ahve the fresh scent of bagels and wood smoke. Two ply paper and never busy and a proper door that closed.

Only problem was parking for the UPS truck, leaving the four ways on a busy street blocking one lane of traffic led to some nasty looks but well worth two ply heaven.

• Upvote 2

A bit like what I did last year, that. 3 new bathrooms, stairs re routed, roof off, 2 new bedrooms, rewire and re plumb the whole house, underfloor heating, wooden floors down, 2 walls knocked down downstairs, three walls built downstairs, 6 new doors, complete rewire, 80 down lighters installed, kitchen redesign, new study built, paint 14 rooms, hall, stairs and a landing. Done all the decorating and flooring myself. Still bits to do. I'm fucking fed up with it.

Never again. I'm exhausted and skint.

I know what you mean. But a small part of me sort of misses it in a way.

Although I'm sure the neighbours don't miss wagons reversing down the road and dropping off materials at 8am on a saturday.

Meant to say, I also had a wood burning stove installed downstairs. Love it.

• Upvote 1

I don't have a bog at the moment, he's coming back today to plumb it in.

Went to tescos this morning, picked up a paper as I walked in the store, didn't bother paying for it, went for a shit and read the paper and left it in there for their next customer.

Every little helps.

That's exactly what James Bond or Jason Bourne would do.  You've still got it, Col.

• 2 weeks later...

50%? Good luck with the rest of it mate. I'm just about to spend the last of the budget now. I think we're ok.

Schedule is tight, but doable. Here's the timeline:

19th - Carpet upstairs and kitchen appliance deliveries

22nd - screed for extension and self-levelling compound over

25th - kitchen units in and bifolds installed

2nd October - Underfloor heating

5th - Kitchen Worktop

6th to 8th - Flooring downstairs

...all the while the little snagging jobs are being done, and the driveway.

It's nuts.

Guest Numero Veinticinco

I'm in the market for oak dining tables and corner sofas at the moment so if any of you terrible meffs see any good deals on decent clobber knocking about then hit a brother up, yo.

How big is the table you're looking for? I saw some really nice ones a while back whilst looking for a desk.

50%? Good luck with the rest of it mate. I'm just about to spend the last of the budget now. I think we're ok.

Schedule is tight, but doable. Here's the timeline:

19th - Carpet upstairs and kitchen appliance deliveries

22nd - screed for extension and self-levelling compound over

25th - kitchen units in and bifolds installed

2nd October - Underfloor heating

5th - Kitchen Worktop

6th to 8th - Flooring downstairs

...all the while the little snagging jobs are being done, and the driveway.

It's nuts.

Some fairly basic errors on my part. I'd completely forgotten about flooring and sofas too.

Guest Super Sub

Anyone got any good shouts on where to get paving stones and a shed from?

Remember a few years back that there was something in the Echo about people robbing the paving stones that were in some alleyways / entries around the city. Apparently the paving stones are York stone and are quite expensive and someone had a good scam going.

• Upvote 1

How much does it cost to get the fusebox in your house updated to one you just flick when a light fuses?

Just bought my first house & other than buying a bed & couch, this'll be the first thing I have to get done.

PM me if you want the name of an electrician. Or any other trades

• Upvote 1

How much does it cost to get the fusebox in your house updated to one you just flick when a light fuses?

Just bought my first house & other than buying a bed & couch, this'll be the first thing I have to get done.

We had a Victorian terrace and replaced the consumer unit, think it was about £300 but you need a properly qualified spark to do it as they complete a certificate that means it's up to current standard and you'll need that if you need to sell the house.

• Upvote 1