You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

House fixy-uppy shit

Stu Monty

I'll do the flooring, smashing the wall up, putting the kitchen in, gutting the bathroom ready for plumber, painting, drop the kerb onto the drive, raised patio area etc.

It's too bloody expensive for decking four foot high when I can block build the area I want and get paid in beers by mates dropping off hardcore for free.

Just found out today that the bifold order hadn't gone to the manufacturers yet, so my meticulously planned schedule is fucked-up by a week because of some stupid twat in the office not getting through their to-do list which involved sending a contract.

Not a bid deal in the grand scheme of things, but when you're at the latter stages of a monu-fucking-mental building project where you're trying to schedule the plasterers, kitchen fitting, decorating, re-wire, plumbing and the actual building work going on, you don't need it.

• Upvote 1

I'm paying my nephew £50 to be a labourer during the holidays. It's working out quite well to be honest, apart from the fact that he's desperately unfit and can only manage to lift one breeze-block at a time. They're working him like buggery though, which is hilarious to watch.

Spent a day off yesterday gutting 2 rooms. Removing plaster board from the ceiling is a shite job. Dust and other stuff in your eyes, hair, and down your shirt. Found a very old pack of B&H though. No health warning or anything on there. Every cloud and that.

I'm paying my nephew £50 to be a labourer during the holidays. It's working out quite well to be honest, apart from the fact that he's desperately unfit and can only manage to lift one breeze-block at a time. They're working him like buggery though, which is hilarious to watch.

Spent a day off yesterday gutting 2 rooms. Removing plaster board from the ceiling is a shite job. Dust and other stuff in your eyes, hair, and down your shirt. Found a very old pack of B&H though. No health warning or anything on there. Every cloud and that.

Ripping out. Glad those days are gone. Get a nice pair of goggles a paper mask and a hooded boiler suit. Nice and warm in August.

• 2 weeks later...

Got a mate coming round tomorrow to have a look at the flat, to do the work I'd want it's going to get stupidly expensive.

The plumbing is exposed and the electrics are protruding from the wall, I really don't fancy having to cough up for a complete rewire, all new plumbing under the floor boards and replaster.

It looks like I'll do the French doors, bathroom and kitchen and just tart the rest up cheap and cheerful.

The left over money I can blow in Vietnam.

Got a mate coming round tomorrow to have a look at the flat, to do the work I'd want it's going to get stupidly expensive.

The plumbing is exposed and the electrics are protruding from the wall, I really don't fancy having to cough up for a complete rewire, all new plumbing under the floor boards and replaster.

It looks like I'll do the French doors, bathroom and kitchen and just tart the rest up cheap and cheerful.

The left over money I can blow in Vietnam.

Our place was condemned by a spark who came to put in a few new sockets (no earth int he building and some seriously iffy wiring which I saw first hand). I know the guy, so I know he's not on the take - but that's another expense out of left-field. It's not a clean job either. Well, not in our case because we're moving light fittings around. They're currently behind the door when you open them which is apparently from when the doors used to be hung the other way round in bedrooms so if you walked in on someone in the buff you wouldn't see them immediately.

Chuck another £2,000 on? Yeah, why not.

Overall though, it's going well and pretty much to schedule and, dare I say it, budget. We're being pretty strict in that if an unexpected cost comes up (like the above) we'll look to make savings elsewhere.

Loving the flowery wallpaper mate!!

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...