You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Xbox One

Lee909

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Respawn Entertainment's long anticipated FPS, Titanfall, will be exclusive to Microsoft platforms. PC, Xbox 360 & Xbox One.

Gameplay trailer:

ES0HewxJX7U

I'll get it on the 360, but it's not enough to push me to buy the Xbox One any time soon.

Respawn Entertainment's long anticipated FPS' date=' Titanfall, will be exclusive to Microsoft platforms. PC, Xbox 360 & Xbox One.

Gameplay trailer:

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ES0HewxJX7U">YouTube Link</a>

I'll get it on the 360, but it's not enough to push me to buy the Xbox One any time soon.[/quote']

The report I read said it would be exclusive for 1 year but that was not confirmed yet.

This used game argument is a tricky one. On one hand it might make new games more reasonably priced and stop the likes of CEX charging £30 for a copy of FIFA that's had a dozen owners. On the other hand it's shitty as and makes borrowing games impossible?

I usually buy more than one console in a generation and I'm not favouring either at the moment, but I can't help but think a lot of companies are going to side with MS and release exclusives on the XBO due to the fact that they'll make more money because people will only be able to buy new copies of their games? It's my understanding they don't make a penny when a second hand shop sells a copy of their game, so I'm sure they're loving this.

Microsoft abandoning their DRM restrictions now.

Article from the Guardian:

Microsoft has sensationally abandoned its controversial plans to restrict the sharing of Xbox One games, and has also removed daily online authentication requirements for its forthcoming console.

In a statement released on the Xbox website on Wednesday, Don Mattrick, the president of Microsoft's interactive entertainment business, wrote that the company had listened to "candid feedback" from gamers. Before listing the changes, he states, "You told us how much you loved the flexibility you have today with games delivered on disc. The ability to lend, share, and resell these games at your discretion is of incredible importance to you. Also important to you is the freedom to play offline, for any length of time, anywhere in the world."

When the new console is released this November, there will be no need to authenticate the system online every 24 hours – a requirement thought to have been introduced as a digital rights management measure. According to the statement, "After a one-time system set-up with a new Xbox One, you can play any disc based game without ever connecting online again."

Furthermore, plans to restrict the sales of pre-owned titles, as well as the sharing of games among friends, have also been cancelled. There will now be no limits on gifting, re-selling, sharing or renting Xbox One game titles.

The announcement follows a huge backlash against Microsoft which began when the company first revealed the Xbox One console at a press conference in May. Company representatives explained to journalists that all Xbox One games would need to be fully installed onto systems before play and that this copy would then be watermarked to the owner.

Attempts to then sell on or give away the boxed copy of the game, would then be controlled by Microsoft – although the details have always been ambiguous, it appeared that the company would work with selected retail partners for the sale of pre-owned titles, and that publishers may have had the opportunity to charge purchasers of second-hand titles for the right to play the games.

There were also confusing limitations on merely sharing games with friends. Microsoft informed gamers that they would be able to make their software library available to 10 friends, but that concurrent access to games would not be possible.

At the major E3 video game conference in June, Sony used the widescale backlash against Microsoft's plans to boost the popularity of its rival PlayStation 4 machine. At Sony's E3 press conference, company executives made it clear that PS4 would place no restrictions on pre-owned sales and wouldn't require daily online authentication – the announcements received a huge applause. Earlier this week, Amazon ran a poll on its website, asking readers to vote for PS4 or Xbox One as the best next-gen console; reportedly, the results were so overwhelmingly skewed toward the Sony console, the online retailer removed the survey.

Xbox One is the follow-up to Microsoft's hugely successful Xbox 360 console, launched in 2005. The machine will feature an eight-core CPU, Blu-ray player and a more advanced version of its Kinect motion control device. PlayStation 4 is also set to launch this winter. Both now face a very different fight for the support of the huge global gaming audience.

We have approached Microsoft for comment and will update accordingly.

They had no choice, they were lurching from one PR disaster to another. Couple that with Sony sticking the knife in and the Xbox One was in danger of being sunk before it was released. It's all damage limitation for Microsoft now, concentrate on the games (the exclusives) and pretend the whole furore never happened. Just goes to show that, however much you think you can, you can't ignore the consumer.

Goes to show that there is such a thing as consumer power. To a certain extent. If Sony had gone along the same lines, it would have been a different matter. They have changed this, not because the consumer didn't want it, but because their big rival used it to win ground. They really don't give a fuck about their customers.

Goes to show that there is such a thing as consumer power. To a certain extent. If Sony had gone along the same lines, it would have been a different matter. They have changed this, not because the consumer didn't want it, but because their big rival used it to win ground. They really don't give a fuck about their customers.

Exactly. If they did, they wouldn't have even ventured down the DRM route.

Kinect doesn't interest me in the slightest so I am still tempted to get a PS4 over upgrading my 360.