You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

2013 music?

chauncey

Goes without saying the new Deerhunter record is boss and even Vampire Weekend have pleasantly surprised with their new(ish) direction but the albums of the year for me so far have been:

Waxahatchee - Cerulean Salt

[YOUTUBE]4fBrSbsYt94[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]EmEaIveGJzs[/YOUTUBE]

Unknown Mortal Orchestra - II

[YOUTUBE]YsTHsXeXnd0[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]M274Cx5CYoQ[/YOUTUBE]

Youth Lagoon - Wondrous Bughouse

[YOUTUBE]PImyTaywu3o[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]dS_d-QD1dOo[/YOUTUBE]

spread the wealth chumps.

Frightened Rabbit - Pedestrian Verse, class album, great video.

[YOUTUBE]KY4j8Ow-CTs[/YOUTUBE]

John Murry - The Graceless Age

[YOUTUBE]6O8IKE3AWMg[/YOUTUBE]

Steve Earle - The Low Highway

[YOUTUBE]LwFW_DRB5vw[/YOUTUBE]

I've barely listened to any new releases, but 'Amok' by Atoms for Peace (super-group featuring Thom Yorke and Flea) has been my stand-out.

[YOUTUBE]UTGYdm1kDBw[/YOUTUBE]

The National have just released their latest album 'Trouble Will Find Me', impressed on first listen, they're really fucking good. Arcade Fire have finished recording, set for a release later this year.

I like Youth Lagoon, will check that out as well as the Vampire Weekend one, who sometimes I like and sometimes think are shite. And the Deerhunter one which I had no idea about.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Heard the new Sigur Rós album this morning. Fuck me it's fantastic - more abrasive guitars and hooks than you'd expect from them but they've nailed a sound with this record which is still theirs but much more accessible.

I'd recommend anyone who's never gave them a go to start with this one...

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
I really like the Disclosure record. I'm also excited about the new ones due from Janelle Monae and Roman GianArthur.

Out today, have you got it El Teach? I picked up on my way in to work along with Th'Arctic Monkeys new one - the girl on the till thought it an interesting pairing - and I'm looking forward to a listen of both later.

Been some belting albums this year with The National, Sigur Ros, Laura Marling, Unknown Mortal Orchestra, Lord Huron, Public Service Broadcasting, Local Natives, Julia Holter, These New Puritans, QOTSA, The Shouting Matches, Kurt Vile, Jetplane Landing and Deerhunter all having had heavy rotation.

I've heard an early leak of the new Arcade Fire track Reflektor once and was pretty impressed (officially released at 9pm tonight), it has a real Bowie vibe to it and I'm really, really excited about the new album in October, on which Bowie is rumoured to feature.

A great year so far.

Looking forward to seeing what yer man from LCD Soundsystem has done with the production of Arcade Fire.

I'm massively into K.Flay after being put onto her the other week. Some belters in her back-catalogue and on the new What if it is EP.

This is from this year's West Ghost EP. Ace work:

a40LWTy0_Ig

You'll notice it features Stringvest's suggestion Allen Stone.

Edited by Stu Monty

Out today, have you got it El Teach? I picked up on my way in to work along with Th'Arctic Monkeys new one - the girl on the till thought it an interesting pairing - and I'm looking forward to a listen of both later.

Been some belting albums this year with The National, Sigur Ros, Laura Marling, Unknown Mortal Orchestra, Lord Huron, Public Service Broadcasting, Local Natives, Julia Holter, These New Puritans, QOTSA, The Shouting Matches, Kurt Vile, Jetplane Landing and Deerhunter all having had heavy rotation.

I've heard an early leak of the new Arcade Fire track Reflektor once and was pretty impressed (officially released at 9pm tonight), it has a real Bowie vibe to it and I'm really, really excited about the new album in October, on which Bowie is rumoured to feature.

A great year so far.

Bowie is backing-vocals on Reflektor. It's fucking good. Video later, also.

On the off-chance that anyone is in the Montreal area, they're playing at Salsatheque tonight.

Floating Coffin by Thee Oh Sees is probably my favourite album so far this year, I'm really enjoying Doris by Earl Sweatshirt too even though I'm not much of a hip hop fan. Love the new Deerhunter too, going to see them in October. Microcastle is still my favourite mind.

Just realised the new Ty Segall is out too so I'm listening to that.

kQZvpkNjA2o

• 2 weeks later...