You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Does Rodgers deserve another season?  

246 members have voted

1. 1. Does Rodgers deserve another season?

• Replies 398
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When it results in only 1 position improvement and poor cup runs there is a sensible argument that the progress is negligible.

Im not advocating his sacking but there are decent arguments on both sides of the fence. (Code's excepted.)

What is the 'decent argument' for sacking Rodgers, based on this season?

In Rodgers first season the team got 9 more points and 24 more goals than the season before under Kenny. That is a cold, hard fact. Anyone with more than 1 braincell will call that progress.

Considering Rodgers spent 50 million, and had Gerrard and Suarez available virtually all season, plus also the added 'bonus' of being knocked out of all cup competitions by February, I'd hardly call it significant progress.

Rodgers has had a hugely disappointing first season in my opinion.

He needs to hit the ground running next season, as there will be no excuses this time round, otherwise he could be gone by January.

Considering Rodgers spent 50 million, and had Gerrard and Suarez available virtually all season, plus also the added 'bonus' of being knocked out of all cup competitions by February, I'd hardly call it significant progress.

Rodgers has had a hugely disappointing first season in my opinion.

He needs to hit the ground running next season, as there will be no excuses this time round, otherwise he could be gone by January.

Who hurt you as a child?

When it results in only 1 position improvement and poor cup runs there is a sensible argument that the progress is negligible.

Im not advocating his sacking but there are decent arguments on both sides of the fence. (Code's excepted.)

What is it with the 'Brendan bashing''? Is it because of his association with Chelsea? A true supporter will support the manager unless he makes a fundamental mistake. Hodgson make quite a few fundamental mistakes.

The reasons why we failed in the cups was due to the size of the squad. The squad is way too small. It's also short of the required experience. The squad itself is evolving.

I would give Brendan another season to see with added squad depth he can make a difference. He's not really got many excuses to not finish in the top 4.

What is it with the 'Brendan bashing''? Is it because of his association with Chelsea? A true supporter will support the manager unless he makes a fundamental mistake. Hodgson make quite a few fundamental mistakes.

The reasons why we failed in the cups was due to the size of the squad. The squad is way too small. It's also short of the required experience. The squad itself is evolving.

I would give Brendan another season to see with added squad depth he can make a difference. He's not really got many excuses to not finish in the top 4.

Its not Brendan bashing its trying to see both sides.

We've just had an appalling season and while I am happy for him to get another season I can see why some of our fans dont feel he deserves it.

We've just had an appalling season and while I am happy for him to get another season I can see why some of our fans dont feel he deserves it.

The season got better as it went along. If you take away the atrocious start then he did ok. Not great by any means, but ok for a first season, and there was a huge improvement in particular once he got a couple more decent attacking players. We shouldn't aspire to be a club with a revolving door. Let's see how he does next time out.

The bad start was the reason we didnt get top 4. If he has a better start next season plus we keep on improving we'll get top 4.

I don't think so Robbie. If you look at the table for the second half of the season only, we're sixth. We were top on goal difference though. It will be all about mental toughness next season.

The season got better as it went along. If you take away the atrocious start then he did ok. Not great by any means, but ok for a first season, and there was a huge improvement in particular once he got a couple more decent attacking players. We shouldn't aspire to be a club with a revolving door. Let's see how he does next time out.

Everybody makes this better in the second half of the season argument, but we only won five of our last ten games, and this is despite the harder fixtures all being at Anfield, with no cup distractions either.

I agree that we shouldn't aspire to be a club with a revolving door, but we also shouldn't aspire to mediocrity either.

We need a manager who will get us punching above our weight, not at our weight. I don't think Rodgers is capable of taking us to the next level with our current transfer budget.

Everybody makes this better in the second half of the season argument, but we only won five of our last ten games, and this is despite the harder fixtures all being at Anfield, with no cup distractions either.

I agree that we shouldn't aspire to be a club with a revolving door, but we also shouldn't aspire to mediocrity either.

We need a manager who will get us punching above our weight, not at our weight. I don't think Rodgers is capable of taking us to the next level with our current transfer budget.

We played a lot better, which didn't really translate into results. That's the key thing which has to change.

I don't think we aspire to mediocrity, but we became a mediocre team under Hicks and Gillett and have not recovered as yet.

We'll find out next season whether or not he's capable, but I don't personally think this season has been an indication either way.

It was obvious Hodgson was never going to succeed because of the type of football he was trying to get us playing. In contrast, I think Rodgers has the right idea. It's worth a little more time to see if he can realise it.

I don't think so Robbie. If you look at the table for the second half of the season only, we're sixth. We were top on goal difference though. It will be all about mental toughness next season.

Really good point.

If we got an early goal or two we tended to win comfortably and really hammer some teams. If we didn't get in front early on though, you could just sense that we weren't going to win. The West Brom at home, and Villa at home games were good examples of this.

To me this is where a manager has to make his influence count. This is what separates the best from the rest.

We played a lot better, which didn't really translate into results. That's the key thing which has to change.

I don't think we aspire to mediocrity, but we became a mediocre team under Hicks and Gillett and have not recovered as yet.

We'll find out next season whether or not he's capable, but I don't personally think this season has been an indication either way.

It was obvious Hodgson was never going to succeed because of the type of football he was trying to get us playing. In contrast, I think Rodgers has the right idea. It's worth a little more time to see if he can realise it.

Finally someone with common sense.

Really good point.

If we got an early goal or two we tended to win comfortably and really hammer some teams. If we didn't get in front early on though, you could just sense that we weren't going to win. The West Brom at home, and Villa at home games were good examples of this.

To me this is where a manager has to make his influence count. This is what separates the best from the rest.

Belief is a tough thing to inspire in a squad. Much tougher than patterns of play. If the players are feeling optimistic about next season and we have a decent start, things will tend to improve.

With a club legend being sacked, a shambolic summer transfer window, experienced players leaving, and a different methodology in training and on the pitch, last season was always going to be a big ask.

Its not Brendan bashing its trying to see both sides.

Again, Vlad, based on what? What is the argument against Rodgers based on this season?

Yeah there were very few games where we managed to actually grind out a result, despite a good performance. Only West Ham away and Spurs at home come to mind.

I accept that a major part of the problem is dropping down from being a feared team in Europe to being potentially bankrupt and hovering around relegation at one point. The appointment of Hodgson was horrific in every way shape of form.

Does Rodgers deserve another season, is a moot point anyway. He WILL be here. The owners have made that clear.

My own expectations are possibly too high. I just want to see a bit more from Rodgers though. A consistent block of wins on the bounce, or a couple of really excellent tactical victories away from home against good opposition.

Something that really stands out and makes people take notice. This is what is lacking for me.

Yeah there were very few games where we managed to actually grind out a result, despite a good performance. Only West Ham away and Spurs at home come to mind.

I accept that a major part of the problem is dropping down from being a feared team in Europe to being potentially bankrupt and hovering around relegation at one point. The appointment of Hodgson was horrific in every way shape of form.

Does Rodgers deserve another season, is a moot point anyway. He WILL be here. The owners have made that clear.

My own expectations are possibly too high. I just want to see a bit more from Rodgers though. A consistent block of wins on the bounce, or a couple of really excellent tactical victories away from home against good opposition.

Something that really stands out and makes people take notice. This is what is lacking for me.

Good post. I'd accept a sustained and realistic challenge for the top four, even if we end up finishing in sixth but within a few points of fourth. The part of your post I've bolded, I see as building blocks towards that. The main thing I'm looking for in a new manager is progress, and I think we've seen a bit of that but need to see more.

Belief is a tough thing to inspire in a squad. Much tougher than patterns of play. If the players are feeling optimistic about next season and we have a decent start, things will tend to improve.

With a club legend being sacked, a shambolic summer transfer window, experienced players leaving, and a different methodology in training and on the pitch, last season was always going to be a big ask.

Again very good point.

Also Rodgers didn't come here with a huge reputation. I really thought that after sacking possibly the biggest Legend at the club, FSG would have to bring in a really big name to justify doing it.

To Rodgers credit he has commented on the lack of winners and belief in the squad, so he is fully aware of it. I think his main priority when bringing in new players has to be players that can lead and already have a winning mentality.

Whether or not we can attract or afford players with these qualities could pose a big problem.

The football has been alot better. With squad additions, things should be better. The signings in January have to be the norm from now on.

We only lost 1 game out of the last 12. That's another way to look at it. Conceded 9 goals and scored 27. If we play like we did in the last third of the season then we'll be challenging for the top 4.

We've been here before under Dalglish where we end the season strongly then thought we had a chance of doing well in the next season but Dalglish's transfers were all wrong and destroyed any progress the team had made in the previous season.

Bullshit. He fucked up selection against oldham and zenit. He 'rested' both Lucas and Agger away to zenit. You talk out of your arse on every single subject.

The bad start was the reason we didnt get top 4. If he has a better start next season plus we keep on improving we'll get top 4.

To be fair, he did say if we start better and keep on improving. We was around sixth discounting those first five games. Within 3 of Chelsea, 5 of Spurs and Arsenal and 10 of Spurs. That is probably fair to where we are right now. Plus only Man Utd scored more and only Man City conceded less across those 'last' 33 games.

If we'd have played those opening five better this year we'd have been close. If we carry on improving then we'll deffo be in the mix.