You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Im not the green fingered type and not into gardening. The old girl loves it but with arthritis in her knees, wrists and fingers, its all getting a bit too much for her.

I said we needed to thin the garden out over a couple of years and reduce the number of flowerbeds. We made a start last year by putting some decking down and I must admit, I did enjoy digging out many of the plants!

When we finished what we could last year, we stacked a couple of square planters, about 18 inches wide, against a wall together with some bags of compost.

About 10 days ago, I found some duck had made a nest in one of the square planters. She's now laid 14 fucking eggs in the thing and Ive no idea how she's going to get the chicks out of it because there's a big drop from the inside of it to the ground!

• Upvote 2

9 hours ago, Paulie Dangerously said:

If anyone could identify anything I'd be really grateful. 

20210327_103141.jpg

These pots have just had non-perennials in - you know, plants that only last one season.

Pull them out. Put some plant feeder pellets in (slow release) and maybe some compost. Turn it all over with a fork or trowel then plant some new bedding plants in May. Begonias or some shit - maybe some trailers ivy or flowering trailing bedding plant in that nice wooden tub. 

• Upvote 1

44 minutes ago, dockers_strike said:

They're like my own, mate. Im up all night making sure the neighbourhood cats dont come around thinking there's an easy meal in our garden for them!

12 minutes ago, Karl_b said:

tony-and-the-ducks-600x337.jpg

7 minutes ago, SasaS said:

That was aimed at Howie. The monster. 

If they are fertilized and the eggs are not touching Mom constantly from the start they are already toast.

Is it defo male/female adults? 

I've watched the past couple of episodes of Gardener's World and I actually enjoyed it. So much so that I'm going to have a bash at growing a few things. 

I'm going to buy a little grow table and planning to start with some berries (probably raspberries or blackberries) and do a little indoor grow of some padron peppers too. 

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, Paulie Dangerously said:

Very much in the spirit of the OP, I've recently moved and now have a garden. The former owners obviously kept it in good nick and, although we eventually want to make changes, we're going to spend this summer with it as-is to see how it goes.  

There are various plants and ferns knocking about, none of which I have a clue what to do with. If anyone could identify anything I'd be really grateful. 

20210327_091534.jpg

20210327_091546.jpg

20210327_103237.jpg

20210327_103228.jpg

20210327_103220.jpg

20210327_103214.jpg

20210327_103207.jpg

20210327_103201.jpg

20210327_103158.jpg

20210327_103151.jpg

20210327_103141.jpg

Photo 9 looks like a hebe to mebe.

• Upvote 1

Some of you might remember that this was just a lawn when we moved in 5 years ago. Since then we've turned half in to an allotment and extended the house. I've spent the last two weekends making a start on turning the remaining lawn in to something more attractive, ecologically vibrant and practical.

I've lifted the turf to about half of the lawn to lay a path using bricks we salvaged from the building work and garage demolition. The left hand side of that will become a wildflower meadow in the short term and we'll plant some fruit bushes and other bits in between. We have really poor drainage and the lawn puddles quite badly; I used a lot of the turf and soil to make a grass berm (under the netting) and I'm also putting a roll and flower beds in to the right hand side. We're going for a low maintenance drought and flood resilient planting scheme with a simple pallete of purple and white flowers. This is years more work away from being done and mature but I hope to get much of the above work done this year. 

Progress photo below, I'm actually a little further on than this now (the path is dug to its full depth ready for hardcore and sand):

20210321_170011.jpg

1 hour ago, Nelly-Torres said:

I've watched the past couple of episodes of Gardener's World and I actually enjoyed it. So much so that I'm going to have a bash at growing a few things. 

I'm going to buy a little grow table and planning to start with some berries (probably raspberries or blackberries) and do a little indoor grow of some padron peppers too. 

Be careful with raspberries and blackberries mate, they can spread like hell. I think you can get clumping ones that don't spread but, as much as I love them, I won't have them in the garden. 

Try a tayberry for a similar-ish alternative that doesn't spread or a mulberry, although they take 7 years to bear fruit (mine is 5 years old this year!). Otherwise get a couple of blueberries.

2 hours ago, dockers_strike said:

They're like my own, mate. Im up all night making sure the neighbourhood cats dont come around thinking there's an easy meal in our garden for them!

Be careful ds , a few years ago we rescued these buggers trotting across Town Row without a care in the world while cars backed up in both directions  , and along with our neighbour they had us neurotic for a few months keeping them away from predators. We only lost two along the way and it was massively uplifting watching them learning to fly and moving on,

duck.JPG

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, Karl_b said:

Some of you might remember that this was just a lawn when we moved in 5 years ago. Since then we've turned half in to an allotment and extended the house. I've spent the last two weekends making a start on turning the remaining lawn in to something more attractive, ecologically vibrant and practical.

I've lifted the turf to about half of the lawn to lay a path using bricks we salvaged from the building work and garage demolition. The left hand side of that will become a wildflower meadow in the short term and we'll plant some fruit bushes and other bits in between. We have really poor drainage and the lawn puddles quite badly; I used a lot of the turf and soil to make a grass berm (under the netting) and I'm also putting a roll and flower beds in to the right hand side. We're going for a low maintenance drought and flood resilient planting scheme with a simple pallete of purple and white flowers. This is years more work away from being done and mature but I hope to get much of the above work done this year. 

Progress photo below, I'm actually a little further on than this now (the path is dug to its full depth ready for hardcore and sand):

20210321_170011.jpg

For your path you might want to consider Cellpave.

https://www.groundtrax.com/cellpave-40-porous-plastic-pavers/

Can be easier than putting hardcore and sand down, its porous, just cover with gravel. We've just done our drive with it and it works pretty well.

• Upvote 1

Nowhere near as salubrious as Yorkshirereds, but here's my toil below. Not into the flower side of gardening as much, so I grow Veg, have been for a few years, but this year I'm ramping it up and trying to become at least semi-self sustaining.

In the photies, the Garlic is starting to come through the weed matting and the other half of the opposite raised bed is getting prepared for seeding in the coming weeks. To ramp things up I've set up 4 more raised beds and manured them. 6 tonne of top soil to go on top of that in the coming weeks and then put the sides on. 

Garlic.JPG

Garlic2.JPG

IMG_4262.JPG

IMG_4263.JPG

• Upvote 4

4 minutes ago, Chip Butty said:

@YorkshireRed Don't know about anyone else, but I felt like leaving a pound donation for the upkeep of that National Trust garden. 

It was actually once featured on Gardeners World, a fair bit before our time though. It’s the main reason we bought the house, the wife does love her gardening. 

Just now, Chip Butty said:

Nowhere near as salubrious as Yorkshirereds, but here's my toil below. Not into the flower side of gardening as much, so I grow Veg, have been for a few years, but this year I'm ramping it up and trying to become at least semi-self sustaining.

In the photies, the Garlic is starting to come through the weed matting and the other half of the opposite raised bed is getting prepared for seeding in the coming weeks. To ramp things up I've set up 4 more raised beds and manured them. 6 tonne of top soil to go on top of that in the coming weeks and then put the sides on. 

Garlic.JPG

Garlic2.JPG

IMG_4262.JPG

IMG_4263.JPG

A vegetable patch is something we don’t currently have. There’s something great about ‘growing your own’. Looking forward to seeing the results in the Foodie Thread in due course. 

• Upvote 1