You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

1 hour ago, Champ said:

What are your plans, neko?

well, it's 110 acres of pristine Canadian Shield, so we'll clear cut the forest, mine for rare minerals and do some fracking near the water. maybe even sell off the wildlife to zoos...or the chinese.

seriously though, it's going to have a three season house on the hill (near the photo) and a few smaller buildings around the property. 

i might introduce it soon, but it's not gardening.

• 4 weeks later...

In other news, had the tv out in the garden watching today's events and a sparrowhawk swooped down over our heads chasing a flock of starlings. It landed on the lawn, hopped about for a bit then flew off when it saw us. That's now 20 species of bird that visit.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Gruntfuttock said:

tumblr_preytx9aXd1xo7i84o1_1280.jpg

I'm never short of Bluebells!

That is quite a lot.

I’ve gone through phases when I can’t stand and rip them all out but am back to liking their woodlandy charm and am currently trying to reintroduce them to the shady part in ours.

12 hours ago, Mook said:

This is just a whim at the moment but how much do people reckon it would cost, roughly to get my sloped garden landscaped & decking put in? It's about 10 metres by 5 metres I reckon.

Get someone round, explain the job to them, get an estimate and then you'll know. I'm not being funny in saying that. We have/have had jobs that we've wanted to do and turn them over in our minds endlessly saying it would be too much money or whatever but if you want it done, go and get that estimate and then at least you'll know what you're dealing with.

And if you don't know anyone, someone you know, or more likely your wife (we tend to have better local connections, in my experience) will know someone who has had garden work done and will be able to recommend someone to at least give you an estimate

• Upvote 1

On 15/05/2019 at 20:45, Mook said:

This is just a whim at the moment but how much do people reckon it would cost, roughly to get my sloped garden landscaped & decking put in? It's about 10 metres by 5 metres I reckon.

About 10 minutes on Youtube. 

You can do it put your back in to it. 

(I can do it put your ass in to it)

On 15/05/2019 at 20:45, Mook said:

Just get some old pallets and stick them on bricks.

1 hour ago, Seasons said:

About 10 minutes on Youtube. 

You can do it put your back in to it. 

(I can do it put your ass in to it)

I nearly killed myself trying to put a curtain up a couple of years back. DIY is not for me.

• 3 weeks later...

Chatting to an old boy who my dad knows. 

He has the most amazing manicured ‘front’ garden and his ‘back’ garden is made up of growing organic veg, herbs and fruit with a couple of polytunnels. 

His top tip for protecting your crops...

Every time you cook mussels keep all the shells, even ask supermarkets and fishmongers for their dead mussels. 

Crush all the shells into sharp shards and spread them over the earth. 

He swears the shells not only protects your crops but they grow even better with them spread over the soil. 

2 hours ago, lifetime fan said:

Chatting to an old boy who my dad knows. 

He has the most amazing manicured ‘front’ garden and his ‘back’ garden is made up of growing organic veg, herbs and fruit with a couple of polytunnels. 

His top tip for protecting your crops...

Every time you cook mussels keep all the shells, even ask supermarkets and fishmongers for their dead mussels. 

Crush all the shells into sharp shards and spread them over the earth. 

He swears the shells not only protects your crops but they grow even better with them spread over the soil. 

Good tip, Lifey. This also works with egg shells.

28 minutes ago, Karl_b said:

Good tip, Lifey. This also works with egg shells.

He uses egg shells as well. 

But apparently a lot of plant feeds that people use contain some kind of fish ingredient. 

He reckons you can get the benefit of that and still be organic. 

10 minutes ago, lifetime fan said:

He uses egg shells as well. 

But apparently a lot of plant feeds that people use contain some kind of fish ingredient. 

He reckons you can get the benefit of that and still be organic. 

Yeah, fish blood and bone is a common plant food, being high in phosphorus. Seaweed is also popular so I would certainly think mussel shells work well.

1 hour ago, Moctezuma said:

Need some help with this stuff, is there anything that can survive in pots in a reasonably hot environment without a huge amount of watering that isn't a cactus?

Are we talking inside or outside?

And can you define ‘hot environment’ and ‘a huge amount of watering?’

22 minutes ago, Champ said:

Are we talking inside or outside?

And can you define ‘hot environment’ and ‘a huge amount of watering?’

Thanks for answering champ.

Outside, it's a small concrete space outside the flat that is in direct sunlight so it gets really hot during the day. A huge amount of watering means-say my dyslexic brain will forget at least once in every two days, so watering one out of two or three days in the week.

2 hours ago, Moctezuma said:

Thanks for answering champ.

Outside, it's a small concrete space outside the flat that is in direct sunlight so it gets really hot during the day. A huge amount of watering means-say my dyslexic brain will forget at least once in every two days, so watering one out of two or three days in the week.

I reckon Fuschias and Hydrangeas could cope with this,off the top of my head.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, VladimirIlyich said:

I reckon Fuschias and Hydrangeas could cope with this,off the top of my head.

Fuschias and Hydrangeas tend to prefer part-sun to shade. Definitely not full sun in a pot that may not get watered.

Perhaps a tall grass ? Usually drought tolerant and low maintenance.

Are you on ground level or are we talking about a balcony or something as big as a roof garden?

Either way if we’re talking about growing things in pots/containers the bigger the container the better for getting enough water in that any plants will be able to tolerate some neglect. 

Pointers for choosing plants

Look around at what seems to grow well for your neighbours

Plants that grow in hot climates 

Plants with grey and/or glossy foliage 

Have you got space for an olive plant or a fig? Both grow well in pots.

You could also grow vegetables and herbs in pots, especially sun loving things like tomatoes, chillies, peppers, basil.

And for colour at this this time of year lavender and pelargoniums (geraniums)

I’d also go along with neko’s grasses suggestion.

How am I doing?