You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

I get the lily flowers but the leaves and stem don’t seem to match the description

This is another picture of orange lily and perhaps it isn't after all...

Lilium_bulbiferum_flower1.jpg

Perhaps it's Epiphyllum pumilum

Epiphyllum-Orchid-Cactus-KING-MIDAS.jpg

I now live near Chelsea, and I'm going to plant Japanese knotweed in every garden I see. Fucking gloating bastards - for no other reason than cultural differences, obviously.

I should neg you for your sentiments there, Jarv. Gardening is the absolute antithesis of everything you’ve written there. It’s about creativity and activity and a break from the frenetic angry world so many of us are required to inhabit.

I was at Chelsea Flower Show on Friday and it has to be one of the best days of my year. Every year

• Upvote 2

The wife bought a fly trap a few weeks ago, it’s a conical bag that you fill with water and mix in a chemical that attracts the flies.

It effective, no flies at BBQs or anywhere in the garden. But it stinks. Fucking horrific stink. My massive hooter must be in resonance with it because I can whiff it right across the garden. Honestly it fucking stinks. Like Bigfoot’s cock.

I’ve just emptied it by slitting the bag and I bet there were a few kilos of flies. And despite wearing rubber gloves my fucking hands stink.

The wife bought a fly trap a few weeks ago, it’s a conical bag that you fill with water and mix in a chemical that attracts the flies.

It effective, no flies at BBQs or anywhere in the garden. But it stinks. Fucking horrific stink. My massive hooter must be in resonance with it because I can whiff it right across the garden. Honestly it fucking stinks. Like Bigfoot’s cock.

I’ve just emptied it by slitting the bag and I bet there were a few kilos of flies. And despite wearing rubber gloves my fucking hands stink.

Reminds me of the time I fingered Tony's ma.

I'm buying a shovel though, pointy edge. I'm specifically buying a shovel because you've pulled me up on it. I mean people who call a spade a spade are generally

declaring their own rudeness.

I'm buying a spade.

Are you describing me or the shovel/spade?

Oh, and an outdoor herb garden. No point living in a temperate zone, and growing plants right next to your wifi router.

Herbs are some of the best things to grow yourself so you can just cut what you need rather buying those bags of herbs when you only need 2 sprigs or whatever

• Upvote 1

Herbs are some of the best things to grow yourself so you can just cut what you need rather buying those bags of herbs when you only need 2 sprigs or whatever

This bed is south facing. The tree blocks all the light into the house, and has to go.

I'm thinking of planting grasses and dwarf shrubs, like Carex, Hebes, Festuca Glauca, Heuchera Obsidianetc, Lavender Christiana etc but keeping a section for herbs (got three rectangular planters coming in the post). I read that mint is really hardy (and can be prolific if grown out of a pot), and apparently it also repels flies and mosquitoes. I cook a lot of curries, so Coriander is a cert to be planted. Probably Tarragon, again for things like Bernaise sauce.

Any suggestions re grasses and shrubs would be very welcome, as I know next to nothing about this stuff. I used to laugh at my dad for being so into gardening, it's a bit of a shock to find myself taking the step into it. Come to think of it, he was a baker, and I've started making bread at home. So much for free will, eh.

Champ, you'll be relieved to hear that, after your stern words, operation knotweed has been aborted. Though it remains an option if hostilities with Chelsea open up again...

Bum, tried to upload photo from Word but it didn't take.

Anyway, it looks a bit like this:

I I I I I

I            I

I        I

I   I

I

...............................................................I

.                                                              .

More or less.

• Upvote 4

Bum, tried to upload photo from Word but it didn't take.

Anyway, it looks a bit like this:

I I I I I

I            I

I        I

I   I

I

...............................................................I

More or less.

As an instructor in architectural drafting, I can spot real talent - great drawing.

• Upvote 1

grasses are an excellent choice for gardens.

the structure and colour changes can add lots of interest throughout the year. they are also mostly drought tolerant.

they look good grown in groups rather than alone, in my opinion, and the different colours and shapes can make for quite a display.

i have a few big specimens like miscanthus sinensis and panicum virgatum ..... 

https://www.gardenia.net/guide/landscaping-with-miscanthus-sinensis-japanese-silver-grass

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/gardening/howtogrow/8048285/How-to-grow-Panicum-virgatum-Heavy-Metal.html

here is my grass garden through the seasons...

9HwER2r.jpg