You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Evening nerds.

Who wants to play a game of... Tell Bitch what shrub he has bought.

All of you? Great. I'll start with this one that has wilted in the sun...

p1SAe94.jpg

Just a stab in the dark and I don't know where all this information came from but is it...

Hesperis matronalis is a herbaceous plant species in the mustard family, Brassicaceae. It has numerous common names, including dame's rocket, damask violet, dame's-violet,[1] dames-wort, dame's gilliflower, night-scented gilliflower, queen's gilliflower, rogue's gilliflower, summer lilac, sweet rocket, mother-of-the-evening, and winter gilliflower.

These plants are biennials or short-lived perennials, native to Eurasia and cultivated in many other areas of the world for their attractive, spring-blooming flowers. In some of those areas, it has escaped from cultivation and become a weed species. The genus name Hesperis is Greek for evening and the name was probably given because the scent of the flowers becomes more conspicuous towards evening.

...or you could read the label / tab that comes with the plant ?

Do you really think I would be asking the question if there was a label. They were bought at an auction in a mixed lot.

I'd neg your sorry ass if it wasn't for years of quality contributions to Titty city.

Evening nerds.

Who wants to play a game of... Tell Bitch what shrub he has bought.

All of you? Great. I'll start with this one that has wilted in the sun...

p1SAe94.jpg

It’s on the type of my tongue. Give me a minute.

Solanum Crispum. It’s a perennial rather than a shrub. What’s my prize?

• Upvote 2

Minus the ice cream,I bet.

Not at all. I make no secret of it...I love a drink but I’m a useless drinker. The idea of going out ‘drinking’ fills me with dread. Two or three and I’m done

Its obviously a Rhododendron but I cant be specific

It looks like a climber to me though but I know what you mean about the rhododendron like flowers. I’m thinking something from the passion flower family

I'm off out to buy a gardening fork and a shovel. Proper grown up now me. Got to dig some borders. I even own a flamingo tree cost 10 quid in asda.

Spade. It’s called a spade when you’re gardening...

...one of those little things that annoy me. Especially when Mr Champ says it. He should know better by now

It looks like a climber to me though but I know what you mean about the rhododendron like flowers. I’m thinking something from the passion flower family

I'll be honest, it could be a cactus for all I know, I got the mrs to have a look

• Upvote 1

I'm buying a shovel though, pointy edge. I'm specifically buying a shovel because you've pulled me up on it. I mean people who call a spade a spade are generally

declaring their own rudeness.

I'm buying a spade.

If the sides curl up, so it can hold more ash or whatever, then it's a shovel. If the sides are straight, call it a spade.

It actually is this. Take anything from the top shelf.

Next up...

xgMabc1.jpg

v1WgxcU.jpg

Orange Lily
Lilium bulbiferum
Name also: Fire Lily
Family: Lily Family – Liliaceae
Growing form: Perennial herb. Bulb underground.
Height: 40–100 cm (16–40 in.). Stem rigid, unbranched, upper part leafy, uppermost axils usually with black bulbils.
Flower: Perianth regular (actinomorphic), yellowish brown–orange, 5.5–8.5 cm (0.22–0.35 in.) wide. Tepals 6 in 2 similar whorls, almost straight, curving outwards at tip, black-spotted, insides with glands. Stamens 6. Gynoecium composed of 3 fused carpels, ovary trilocular, style solitary. Inflorescence a 1–5-flowered umbel.
Leaves: Alternate. Blade linear–lanceolate, flat, parallel-veined, with entire margin, hairy-edged.
Fruit: Obovoid, 6-edged, 3-parted capsule.
Habitat: Yards, parks, gardens, roadsides, forest margins, broad-leaved forests. Ornamental, sometimes left over from old gardens.
Flowering time: July–August.
Perennial lilies are native to the continental climate of the steppes, the Mediterranean countries, south-east Europe and central Asia. None of the lilies grow naturally in the Nordic countries, but a few species are cultivated ornamentally to such an extent that they have spread into the wild and can now be said to be established.

Orange lily is an undemanding and hardy ornamental; indeed it is one of the most beautiful ornamentals, and as such is a common sight in gardens. Despite being native to southern Europe it has adapted very well to the Finnish soil and climate, as can be seen from the way that it grows in places that were once gardens, but where now the only sign that people once lived there is orange lily flowers waving in the long grass. Orange lily doesn’t mind being crowded by other plants, and can last a lot longer than the garden, the house and other obvious signs of habitation. It often grows wild in Finland, although it is rare outside parks and gardens. Apart from its seeds and bulbs, it also spreads via its dark brown bulbils, which develop in the upper axils. The similar, but slightly more robust and big-flowered ssp. croceum has no bulbils.