You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

I love gardening but fuck all grows where I live. Heather and conifers.

I planted a beautiful collection of various conifers 5 or 6 years ago. When they went in I pictured a mature collection of greens, blues and twirling shapes.

Now I have 1/2 browns horizontals all 1/6 of an inch bigger than planted. Despite care and much cash.

I would be cheaper hiring a landscape designer to come in for two weeks every summer (the length of our summer) and do a Chelsea type display and pretend.

I spent 2 hours mowing my lawn (moss) today because the wife apparently saw the sun and never have to empty the box once.

Fucking hate gardening.

• Upvote 2

I love gardening but fuck all grows where I live. Heather and conifers.

I planted a beautiful collection of various conifers 5 or 6 years ago. When they went in I pictured a mature collection of greens, blues and twirling shapes.

Now I have 1/2 browns horizontals all 1/6 of an inch bigger than planted. Despite care and much cash.

I would be cheaper hiring a landscape designer to come in for two weeks every summer (the length of our summer) and do a Chelsea type display and pretend.

I spent 2 hours mowing my lawn (moss) today because the wife apparently saw the sun and never have to empty the box once.

Fucking hate gardening.

That sounds like some size of a garden

Here - I limped around the gardens for a few pics just now.

So much pruning needs done....

ZXlC8k2.jpg

EmUlUrW.jpg

fah2fhl.jpg

Turn your back on it for a minute, hey?

You have a great eye for light and shade in your gardens, neko

I've gone full nerd today, been round 3 garden centres with the mother in law looking at shrubs and plants and plant pots.

I could have put this in the 'getting old thread' too, I suppose.

Kill me.

What happened to your life, Bichy?

I've gone full nerd today, been round 3 garden centres with the mother in law looking at shrubs and plants and plant pots.

I could have put this in the 'getting old thread' too, I suppose.

Kill me.

Christ, you have in-laws too? What happened to us?!

What happened to your life, Bichy?

*looks at Champ*

I don't know, Champ.

Christ, you have in-laws too? What happened to us?!

Not actual ones like you, I didn't do the unthinkable, yet.

Good to see you back, hombre. I'll be seeing you on the 26th for reals I reckon.

*looks at Champ*

I don't know, Champ.

Not actual ones like you, I didn't do the unthinkable, yet.

Good to see you back, hombre. I'll be seeing you on the 26th for reals I reckon.

That would be boss! I just took a little four year break, back in the game now...

• Downvote 1

• 2 weeks later...

I've plumbed new depths today.

Been to an auction and bought a load of shrubs that I have no idea what they are or what to do with them.

I know one of them is called Sambucus Nigra because it has a label in the pot and it made me think of Sambuca.

I've bought two acers.

Thinking of adding a summerhouse after i've decked this area at the back of my house to cover an ugly unused garage - anyone had any experiences of decking after the rain and winter get at it ? I know it gets slippy if not looked after , but i have found some anti slip stuff on screwfix with good reviews .

I got a great deal on a conservatory that was mis-measured and replaced free of charge so i have all the glass and french doors to utilise for the posh shed , thoughts ?

http://s1079.photobucket.com/user/stevem1967/library/?view=recent&page=1

I bought a house with a lot of decking. Takes about 2 days to powerwash, and then the oiling takes a couple of days to get 2 coats on the different sections. But it is a lot of decking... from your picture it doesn't look too bad unless its being made bigger. You could powerwash that in a couple of hours and oil the following day.

Get decking oil from Wood finishes Direct, cheaper than everywhere else I've seen (by a lot!) and next day delivery

Been to an auction and bought a load of shrubs that I have no idea what they are or what to do with them.

I know one of them is called Sambucus Nigra because it has a label in the pot and it made me think of Sambuca.

I've bought two acers.

Sambuca contains or at least used to contain Elderberry (which that tree is).

Neko is our resident Acer expert.  Which ones did you get?

I've recently added a Carambola, which fingers crossed, should fruit this year.

I've bought two acers.

Sambuca contains or at least used to contain Elderberry (which that tree is).

Neko is our resident Acer expert.  Which ones did you get?

I've recently added a Carambola, which fingers crossed, should fruit this year.

Yeah - pics or GTFO.

• Upvote 1

Atropurpureum and Garnett according to the tags.

I can't upload pics any more through photobucket, so you're shit out of luck.

Two types I wasn't familiar with, but it could just be a regional thing. 

Both red but with different leaf structure and shape. They'll both do well in just about any light condition from sun to part shade.

Usually red varieties do better in sun, green are often more delicate. It's always best to buy in threes, so maybe offset the two with a nice 'waterfall' maple and you'll be set.

Chicks dig plants, bitch. You watch... 

Use imgur for image uploading. I ditched photobucket as well.

• Upvote 1

Two types I wasn't familiar with, but it could just be a regional thing. 

Both red but with different leaf structure and shape. They'll both do well in just about any light condition from sun to part shade.

Usually red varieties do better in sun, green are often more delicate. It's always best to buy in threes, so maybe offset the two with a nice 'waterfall' maple and you'll be set.

Chicks dig plants, bitch. You watch... 

Use imgur for image uploading. I ditched photobucket as well.

When I was looking on google it was showing both were red but one is a bushy green with smaller leaves. So I'm guessing the tag in it is wrong.