You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Fuckin' Cats.

I'd love that farmer of yours to blow the fuckers to pieces. If you own a cat keep it in your own garden if you ever want to see it again.

I know you are only jesting mate (hope so anyway) but cats are just like that, you can't keep them in one area. They kill a shit load of rats and mice, they have been our companions for the last thousand years because they protect our homesteads from vermin.

Cats shitting in your garden vs rat infestation?

I know you are only jesting mate (hope so anyway) but cats are just like that' date=' you can't keep them in one area. They kill a shit load of rats and mice, they have been our companions for the last thousand years because they protect our homesteads from vermin.

Cats shitting in your garden vs rat infestation?[/quote']

I very rarely see a cat do anything like chase a piece of vermin, they are lazy useless fuckers that please themselves. There are already large rat populations all over the place because lonely spinsters keep loads of cats and spoil them like the kids they cant have.

Where is the incentive for them to kill vermin?

We have quite a few animals that visit and one that lives here:

War Bastard

Tufted duck and duckling (there were 14 before) on the pond

Buzzard (probably got the ducklings)

Roe deer

Moose

Squirrel

Badgers

Foxes

Salamanders in the pond

Loads of different birds, my favourite being the woodpecker

The cat has fucked off * fingers crossed*. Gave it a good scare and put pepper dust down, seems to have done the trick.

Also seemed to have got rid of most of the slugs.

At the mo, spinach, red currants and onions are progressing nicely, runner beans okay, could be better, courgettes are up and will be okay.

Apples, raspberries and cherries should be sound do long as the birds don't get them all

Corn and chillies will struggle.

Carrots just gone in might do some spuds, few more sowings required to stagger the yield.

I very rarely see a cat do anything like chase a piece of vermin, they are lazy useless fuckers that please themselves. There are already large rat populations all over the place because lonely spinsters keep loads of cats and spoil them like the kids they cant have.

Where is the incentive for them to kill vermin?

Proof to the contrary. Meet Charlie. 8.5kgs of vermin scourge.

charlie1_zps54c41e13.jpg

charlie2_zps41027558.jpg

The cat has fucked off * fingers crossed*. Gave it a good scare and put pepper dust down, seems to have done the trick.

Also seemed to have got rid of most of the slugs.

At the mo, spinach, red currants and onions are progressing nicely, runner beans okay, could be better, courgettes are up and will be okay.

Apples, raspberries and cherries should be sound do long as the birds don't get them all

Corn and chillies will struggle.

Carrots just gone in might do some spuds, few more sowings required to stagger the yield.

Sounds pretty good to me.

How did you get rid of the slugs?

Having so much to catch up on in the rest of the garden and the cumulative disappointment of fighting a losing battle with slugs and snails over the past few summers I havent planted anything in my vegetable plot this summer, although I have got some potatoes growing from what must have got left in the ground last summer. I did, however, have a reasonable crop of rhubarb, I've got netting over the blueberries and I may even get some strawberries.

And I'm pretty much self sufficient in herbs, except coriander, which I have never managed to grow as well as you find it in the shops.

In other news, it looks like we wont get to Brighton next season.....on the back of a certain sport's fixtures, anyway

Sounds pretty good to me.

How did you get rid of the slugs?

Having so much to catch up on in the rest of the garden and the cumulative disappointment of fighting a losing battle with slugs and snails over the past few summers I havent planted anything in my vegetable plot this summer' date=' although I have got some potatoes growing from what must have got left in the ground last summer. I did, however, have a reasonable crop of rhubarb, I've got netting over the blueberries and I may even get some strawberries.

And I'm pretty much self sufficient in herbs, except coriander, which I have never managed to grow as well as you find it in the shops.

In other news, it looks like we wont get to Brighton next season.....on the back of a certain sport's fixtures, anyway[/quote']

I really need to prep the soil better next year. We got in the house in the final day of April, so I planted nothing till mid May.

I'm going to do some raised beds and really get the soil rich and prepped for next year. I'll also expand the veg patch to double the size.

Got shot of the slugs with pellets, beer bath and general persistent picking/killing. Also the drier few weeks have helped.

Next year I'm going to concentrate on veg get a propagator. Maybe try fruits in future years by getting greenhouse when I've got a few more quid.

Onions, garlic, leek, carrots, beetroot, runner beans, courgettes, parsnips, sweet corn, salad stuff and spuds all going in next year.

Looking nice champ.

I went into lumberjack mode at the weekend. Clearing a whole load of bushes and three medium sized trees to reclaim some of the garden. We haven't been able to plant much veggie stuff as the time has mainly be spent getting the garden in shape. Got some herbs, spring onions, tomatoes and gem squash on the go.

1011171_10200547389381934_1878052508_n.jpg

And there's me thinking I could do with some help in the garden...that's forest management you've got going on there.

Mine is on a far more domestic scale. Still its funny how tiny adjustments make big differences. The bench pictured used to be just a few metres down into the corner and was hardly ever used. Last year I moved it to its current position facing into the afternoon sun. Its now one of my favourite places in the garden. The wild flower border behind it has been a work in progress but is now attracting all kinds of insects

And there's me thinking I could do with some help in the garden...that's forest management you've got going on there.

Mine is on a far more domestic scale. Still its funny how tiny adjustments make big differences. The bench pictured used to be just a few metres down into the corner and was hardly ever used. Last year I moved it to its current position facing into the afternoon sun. Its now one of my favourite places in the garden. The wild flower border behind it has been a work in progress but is now attracting all kinds of insects

It's a one off. We won't have to do stuff like this next year. We want to get the basic structure of the garden in place, the previous owners didn't do anything with it at all. It will be really nice eventually, but its been hard work so far. The farmer down the road also has diggers and does ground work, so we will get him in to pull up the stumps and flatten it all out after we have cleared the wood.

There is nothing amateur about any of these gardens - well done.

I'll have to merge a bunch of my garden pics into here now....once it stops raining ! I've been back from Mexico one week, and it hasn't stopped the entire time.

I have pretty much developed the structure we inherited but changed all the planting that was just old and overgrown. If I had my time again I should have been more ruthless at the beginning but hey ho. How long have you been in your place?

I have pretty much developed the structure we inherited but changed all the planting that was just old and overgrown. If I had my time again I should have been more ruthless at the beginning but hey ho. How long have you been in your place?

We moved in in December, but up until April the whole place was covered in snow.

We moved in in December, but up until April the whole place was covered in snow.

So, what's your optimum gardening time for the year?

I feel like my gardening is a bit like a certain sporting team...always building for next season.

The dead wood analogy holds true also

Garden machinery increases testosterone production and makes you more handsome. Fact.

I don't own a chainsaw as we don't have many trees. I do, however, own a big petrol driven brushcutter that you can put circular saw blades on. Its got two handles and you have to attach it to your body with a harness to use it. Fear me.

Garden machinery increases testosterone production and makes you more handsome. Fact.

I don't own a chainsaw as we don't have many trees. I do, however, own a big petrol driven brushcutter that you can put circular saw blades on. Its got two handles and you have to attach it to your body with a harness to use it. Fear me.

I am in no position to judge your masculinity until you explain what a brushcutter is? I'm thinking strimmer. Close?