You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

*A bit taken aback* Lets see a picture of your house, then!

Do you have a title?

A picture of my house in a garden thread, do you think I'm mad??

Unfortunately I have many descriptive and uncomplimentary titles

Hmmm, was going to post some pictures of what I thought was our reasonably-sized garden however now feeling a bit inadequate after seeing A Red's.

Size DOES matter

You should post the pictures, mine is a large garden but it is relatively low maintenance. The skill shown in others such as neko and champ far outweighs mine.

Size DOESNT matter. Trust me, I know

This was definitely not intended as a competition thread. I love tinkering in my garden but I love seeing others' too. And A Red is right, its not about size its what you do with it that's interesting

How about a raised bed or trough and fill it with herbs

Interesting. Whats the cost of such a thing?

Maybe not very helpful but you can pay whatever you want really. The cost is in the container depending on its size and what its made of and after that its just the cost of some compost and the plants. Garden centres and places like Homebase are full of herbs at the moment which you can pick up for a couple of quid a throw. Often you will see them potted up together which can give you ideas.

Or you can plant a trough with summer bedding and replace that at the end of the year with bulbs for next spring.

Questions? Keep em coming

I have a decent sized yard and want to get something in to green it up. Has to be

1. Low maintanence

2. Dog proof as my greyhound will piss on it

3. In a pot

Any suggestions Kermitts?

You've got my interest up now. Do you want it to be a yard or do you want it to be a green space?

Pics

Fucking badger!!!

4EE2421B-6F76-4455-8CA8-176D2FDBBEF4-12543-000006C93B28D708_zps765b6238.jpg

So who's winning?

In the Scottish news headlines, I dont think bleach works as a weed killer on dandelions. I've gone back to the weedkiller spray and intend applying regular doses and see how that goes

• 3 weeks later...

Picking up from lifey's pictures of the spiders he'd come across.....

I was out in the garden this evening digging out a pot that had contained mint and at the bottom of the hole discovered a handful of little frogs and a newt. Other visitors to the garden are foxes, badgers and mice.

So what non human visitors do you get in your plots?

The birds I can identify....common visitors, seagulls, crows, magpies, pigeons, sparrows, coaltits

Occasional visitors...greenfinches, chaffinches, starlings, robins, waxwings, sparrow hawk, a wren

How did I forget the millions of slugs and snails? I was impressed with the newt though

I forgot to mention' date=' I did a little experiment on the front lawn and put some 4 in 1 fertiliser on about half of it. The difference is massive, grass is much greener and more lush. Obv have to do the other half now![/quote']

Funny you say that...that's exactly what I was doing earlier. Second dose to try and finish off the last of the dandelions. I'm pretty organic when it comes to feeding the soil in my borders but when it comes to the grass this is definitely the stuff, no question. Steroids for your lawn

Picking up from lifey's pictures of the spiders he'd come across.....

I was out in the garden this evening digging out a pot that had contained mint and at the bottom of the hole discovered a handful of little frogs and a newt. Other visitors to the garden are foxes, badgers and mice.

So what non human visitors do you get in your plots?

Fucking BADGERS!!!!!

Fuckin' Cats.

I'd love that farmer of yours to blow the fuckers to pieces. If you own a cat keep it in your own garden if you ever want to see it again.

How on earth did I froget the 'fucking squirrels' that dig holes in the lawn to bury the monkey nuts that my neighbour puts out...she of the call to the RSPB over the injured crow....and eat the food I used to put out in bird feeders before I gave up in disgust.

I also have them fingered for eating my bulbs...but that might be the slugs again

Funny you say that...that's exactly what I was doing earlier. Second dose to try and finish off the last of the dandelions. I'm pretty organic when it comes to feeding the soil in my borders but when it comes to the grass this is definitely the stuff, no question. Steroids for your lawn

I think I may have overdone the Feed and Weed... after a bit of rain during the day there are now black patches all over the lawn