You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

With the little one arriving, our garden has been a bit neglected in the last year. Nevertheless, it's looking pretty green and the wildflower meadow (between the bird table and trees) is lush and vibrant. We've been in this house 6 years now and I feel like we've finally got a good structure to work with but I still have big plans to create a play area, move the barrel pond and create more borders - all to the right hand side of this photo.

We've had tonnes of tulips and alliums this year which have started to show our 'purple' theme but the beds in front of the black fence need more shrubbery and, dog-proof, interest.

The allotment isn't at its best but we've got stuff in, which feels like an accomplishment this year! We also have 4/5 beds were using to grow on small plants from last year to go in to the garden.

IMG_20220517_183822.jpg

• Upvote 6

On 18/05/2022 at 12:52, Captain Willard said:

I read today that the massive Mappiness study of human happiness has concluded that the 4 things that contribute most to individuals happiness are nature, exercise, cooking and gardening. You can see that from this thread, maybe not so much in the Breakfast one. 

I enjoy most of them yet I'm still a miserable bastard. They've missed out number one,and the obvious one, money.

8 minutes ago, VladimirIlyich said:

I enjoy most of them yet I'm still a miserable bastard. They've missed out number one,and the obvious one, money.

I don't think money makes people happy.

I'm not talking about extreme cases of poverty or excessive wealth but for most of the people in between, money is a bit overrated in my opinion. Enough to get by & you can be perfectly happy in life.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

1 minute ago, Mook said:

I'm not talking about extreme cases of poverty or excessive wealth but for most of the people in between, money is a bit overrated in my opinion. Enough to get by & you can be perfectly happy in life.

Unless you don't want to. In which case you could be a miserable rich bastard. There are plenty of examples.

4 minutes ago, Mook said:

Money would make my life happy. Without it,it's shite.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Mook said:

I know through either work, friendship or family a few very rich people and a few poorish ones. By very rich, I mean £10s of millions and in one case a good friend who is worth a lot more than than that I don’t think overall the former are much happier than the latter, they don’t worry about money but they are often anxious driven lonely people who often work 7 day weeks becuase they don’t have anything else to do. My super rich friend has spent every Christmas on his own for the last 10 years, often at his office.  I wouldn’t swap his life for mine. 

• Upvote 2

20 hours ago, Mook said:

The aim should be contentment rather than happiness. Everyone I know who looks for things that'll make them happy wants more, as it's a fleeting emotional state akin to a momentary high. If you've got enough, and realise it, you can find contentment.

Some of the best advice I heard was on a podcast about minimalism. It went along the lines of "If you find yourself always wanting more, you have two options - keep getting more, or want less." I now tend to find myself looking around at what I have and thinking of how I could have less and still get by. It makes you more grateful for what you have.

Now I'm off to see if my eBay bids are winning.

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, Heinze said:

Anyone tried growing with grow lights? I just ordered one of these to see if I can get my chilli growing over winter.

I use one all year round for starters and certain herbs that I keep inside. Hot as blazes here for about 9 months a year - too hot through the summer months for sage and thyme.

Started planting 30,000 seedlings last week on our woodlot.

We did cut down a few thousand mature trees last winter, so swings and roundabouts.

But we're at least replacing them, and taking care of them to the point that they're free to grow into mature trees.

To that end I'm currently brushing out the competing deciduous trees on ten hectares we planted 15 years ago.

Not exactly a garden, but still a similar process of altering the land-scape, writ large.

• 2 weeks later...