You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

• 3 weeks later...
On 01/05/2022 at 02:20, Gruntfuttock said:

35f03b1d97fdb0af8deef312a119f80d43d923ac

23e68095102d9e188de828ec71a25876f2392de8

feb5148f304a5b8ece450ab8de4a328c0b94b256

Nice to have a bit of colour in the garden.

Where are you? Your garden looks fabulous!

Things are nowhere near as far on in mine.

We were away last week and at times I burst out laughing seeing things in flower that had barely pushed themselves above ground at home

2 minutes ago, Carvalho Diablo said:

Haha good spot. Thanks.

They are bastard things.

I know we’re all supposed to be valuing our wildflowers these days but I just can’t get on board with these tap rooted fiends

18 minutes ago, A Red said:

They're Spanish, coming over here muscling in on our good old fashioned down to earth British ones.

Yeah, I know. But apart from that? Are they paler? Are they the grey squirrel of that plant world?

4 minutes ago, Captain Willard said:

I read today that the massive Mappiness study of human happiness has concluded that the 4 things that contribute most to individuals happiness are nature, exercise, cooking and gardening. You can see that from this thread, maybe not so much in the Breakfast one. 

There’s not one of the things in that list that I don’t enjoy

27 minutes ago, Champ said:

Yeah, I know. But apart from that? Are they paler? Are they the grey squirrel of that plant world?

I'm told the Spanish ones are a bit bigger but apparently they cause no problems to the British ones. To be fair I'm not really a gardener, I just cut the grass.

2 hours ago, Champ said:

Where are you? Your garden looks fabulous!

Things are nowhere near as far on in mine.

We were away last week and at times I burst out laughing seeing things in flower that had barely pushed themselves above ground at home

Southwest Sheffield.

DDBD52E9-E532-4529-96FA-792984FECEC0.jpegThis is my allotment today, still a good couple of months away from peak flowering. There are about 150 plots on the site and I am the only one growing solely fruit trees and flowers; mainly dahlias, roses, gladioli and sunflowers. Everyone else is growing vegetables but I can’t be arsed. I like flowers and ponds for amphibians. 

It is a little place of peace where I can do whatever I like. When you share your house with 5 kids, 2 dogs and a wife you need a space on the planet to call your own. Costs me £1 a week in rent. 

• Upvote 2

36 minutes ago, Captain Willard said:

DDBD52E9-E532-4529-96FA-792984FECEC0.jpegThis is my allotment today, still a good couple of months away from peak flowering. There are about 150 plots on the site and I am the only one growing solely fruit trees and flowers; mainly dahlias, roses, gladioli and sunflowers. Everyone else is growing vegetables but I can’t be arsed. I like flowers and ponds for amphibians. 

It is a little place of peace where I can do whatever I like. When you share your house with 5 kids, 2 dogs and a wife you need a space on the planet to call your own. Costs me £1 a week in rent. 

Allotments can certainly be hard work but the fresh air, sunshine, peace and quiet and being at peace with nature, certainly outweighs the initial toil.

I love spending time up at our allotment.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Carvalho Diablo said:

Allotments can certainly be hard work but the fresh air, sunshine, peace and quiet and being at peace with nature, certainly outweighs the initial toil.

I love spending time up at our allotment.

Agree. The key is to keep on top of it, at least an hour or two a week. Nature never stops growing so the worst thing you can do is leave it alone for weeks at a time. Then it just feels like hard work clearing the masses of weeds. 

59 minutes ago, Bjornebye said:

I accused @A Red of doing it when he was pissing me off. I was chatting shit of course. Unless he does punch it in which case I was right. 

I didn't understand it then and I don't now but I'm still fucking outraged.